1. Germany
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 13:58
    1 Kings 7:23 states: (KJV)

And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

Which suggests that God thinks pi = 3. What is the opinion of Christians on this matter?
  2. Brisbane
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 14:22
    I believe that the molten 'sea' was a bowl-like object, and the people who made it or the scribes who recorded it took the measurement (of 30 cubits) around the bottom edge of the bowl, whereas the 10 cubits were from lip to lip of the top.

But here's another, likely better, explanation:
    http://www.icr.org/article/524/2/
  3. Germany
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 14:34
    I guess you wouldn't be surprised if I said I heard this ad hoc argument many times before.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '09 15:31
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra

And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

Which suggests that God thinks pi = 3. What is the opinion of Christians on this matter?
    It probably wasn't a circle.

Why would this be an issue for christians, or indeed for yourself?
  5. Break-twitching
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 04:55

Who care as God invented math.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 10:54
    God can't do math?
    You cannot count on a god without math.
  7. Germany
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 13:24
    Originally posted by dystoniac
    Who care as God invented math.
    Explain.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 14:31
    Explain.
    by his logic it means god isn't bound by logic as he invented it. isn't bound my math as he invented it. isn't bound by the laws of physics as he invented it.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 14:45
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    by his logic it means god isn't bound by logic as he invented it. isn't bound my math as he invented it. isn't bound by the laws of physics as he invented it.
    I'll bet he invented 'righteousness', 'love', 'justice' etc too. But before he started inventing he was nothing. God invented God.
  10. Illinois
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 15:15

Here's another possible explanation. This one having to do with the subtleties of the Hebrew text:

"The common word for circumference is qav. Here, however, the spelling of the word for circumference, qaveh, adds a heh (h)."

[http://www.khouse.org/images/artpics/kings7.jpg]

"In the Hebrew Bible, the scribes did not alter any text which they felt had been copied incorrectly. Rather, they noted in the margin what they thought the written text should be. The written variation is called a kethiv; and the marginal annotation is called the qere.

"To the ancient scribes, this was also regarded as a remez, a hint of something deeper. This appears to be the clue to treat the word as a mathematical formula.

"The Hebrew alphabet is alphanumeric: each Hebrew letter also has a numerical value and can be used as a number.

"The q has a value of 100; the v has a value of 6; thus, the normal spelling would yield a numerical value of 106. The addition of the h, with a value of 5, increases the numerical value to 111. This indicates an adjustment of the ratio 111/106, or 31.41509433962 cubits. Assuming that a cubit was 1.5 ft. (18 in.), this 15-foot-wide bowl would have had a circumference of 47.12388980385 feet.

"This Hebrew "code" results in 47.12264150943 feet, or an error of less than 15 thousandths of an inch! (This error is 15 times better than the 22/7 estimate that we were accustomed to using in school!) How did they accomplish this? This accuracy would seem to vastly exceed the precision of their instrumentation. How would they know this? How was it encoded into the text?"

http://www.khouse.org/articles/1998/158/#notes
  11. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 15:38
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    Here's another possible explanation. This one having to do with the subtleties of the Hebrew text:

"The common word for circumference is qav. Here, however, the spelling of the word for circumference, qaveh, adds a heh (h)."

[http://www.khouse.org/images/artpics/kings7.jpg]

"In the Hebrew Bible, the scribes di ...[text shortened]... How was it encoded into the text?"

http://www.khouse.org/articles/1998/158/#notes
    stop it. Ok, I'll tell you what they told me in Hebrew school. No, I can't.

It's a secret.

you got to read Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum; we're going to get in real trouble here if we poke around in Ultimate Secrets.

Go see Tom Hanks' new flick and that should give you some more spurious ideas about codes, secrets buried in letters, etc.

I like Carl Sagan's speculation in Contact where he admitted he might be persuaded that the popular usage of the word "God" might refer to that which may have planted a yet undiscovered mathematical clue somewhere in the infinite sequence of the value of Pi.

Maybe you just found an example of it, who knows.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 16:37
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I'll bet he invented 'righteousness', 'love', 'justice' etc too. But before he started inventing he was nothing. God invented God.
    who knows what he did before the universe. my theory is he was bored stiff.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 17:22
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    stop it. Ok, I'll tell you what they told me in Hebrew school. No, I can't.

It's a secret.

you got to read Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum; we're going to get in real trouble here if we poke around in Ultimate Secrets.

Go see Tom Hanks' new flick and that should give you some more spurious ideas about codes, secrets buried in letters, etc.

I l ...[text shortened]... nite sequence of the value of Pi.

Maybe you just found an example of it, who knows.
    I deeply distrust any school teaching secrets, not available to anyone.
  14. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 22:011 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I deeply distrust any school teaching secrets, not available to anyone.
    what are you, a swedish meatball? or just a meathead?

you can't recognize satire when it is plain on your face?

no one taught any secrets in Hebrew school -- though I really wanted to know how to get into that girl Sarah's pants who sat next to me, THAT was a secret I failed to learn in time.

don't be such a stupid schmuck, now you've made me all farklempt -- go talk among yourselves.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 Mar '09 22:052 edits
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    what are you, a swedish meatball? or just a meathead?

don't be such a stupid schmuck, now you've made me all farklempt -- go talk among yourselves.
    Personal attacks? Oh, then you lose! 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree