1. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    12 Nov '05 10:57
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    No, I thought Columbine was a dorp in the Free State, where Jesus was born.
    Is that the same place Tolkien was born?

I always thought JC was born in Jesusville...
  2. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    12 Nov '05 11:04
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Is that the same place Tolkien was born?

I always thought JC was born in Jesusville...
    No, silly, he was born in Bethlehem!

Tolkien was born in Bloem and left at the age of 3. There has been speculation that his childhood memories of the inhabitants contributed to his vision of Orcs, but I think it unlikely.
  3. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    12 Nov '05 13:01
    Coletti would agree.
    Apparently, after reading the rabbinical musings of Kushner, checkbaiter agrees as well.

Does this not lead to the following problem: if God is not all-powerful, all-loving or all-knowing, then he is not described accurately by the Gospels of Jesus in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. A powerful contradiction/indictment of infallibility.
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    12 Nov '05 13:25
    Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
    So, as long as you let other people poison your beloved child, but don't do it yourself, then you are absolved of all moral responsibility for the poisoning?
    God is not governed by human morality.
  5. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    12 Nov '05 13:28
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    Then what basis do you have for claiming that god is moral? He either operates by a code of morality that is known and understandable to us, or we have no basis for claiming anything at all about his moral conduct, except to say that it is unknown.
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    12 Nov '05 14:12
    Then how the f'ck can we be in his image?
  7. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    13 Nov '05 07:46
    No, silly, he was born in Bethlehem!

Tolkien was born in Bloem and left at the age of 3. There has been speculation that his childhood memories of the inhabitants contributed to his vision of Orcs, but I think it unlikely.
    lol. That's really a good one Bosse. Wouldn't ol' Eugene be sniggering to himself now.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    13 Nov '05 08:10
    Originally posted by Halitose
    lol. That's really a good one Bosse. Wouldn't ol' Eugene be sniggering to himself now.
    Funnily enough when I read that I assumed the "orcs" were Boers; I hadn't thought of the other implication until you pointed it out. In any event, and whatever the source of Tolkien's racism may have been, Eugene certainly qualifies as an Orc.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Nov '05 08:16
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Then what basis do you have for claiming that god is moral? He either operates by a code of morality that is known and understandable to us, or we have no basis for claiming anything at all about his moral conduct, except to say that it is unknown.
    God is moral by His own standards. We cannot try to fit Him into our limited knowlage and our own 'moral code'.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Nov '05 08:18
    Then how the f'ck can we be in his image?
    That means that we are supposed to follow His moral code. It does not mean that He follows our codes.
  11. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    13 Nov '05 08:31
    Funnily enough when I read that I assumed the "orcs" were Boers; I hadn't thought of the other implication until you pointed it out. In any event, and whatever the source of Tolkien's racism may have been, Eugene certainly qualifies as an Orc.
    Eugene certainly qualifies as an Orc.

Yes... a distinguished one.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Nov '05 08:39
    God is moral by His own standards. We cannot try to fit Him into our limited knowlage and our own 'moral code'.
    How do you know if God is moral by his own standards?? If no human can understand his moral code, you can't either. Maybe he doesn't have one.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    13 Nov '05 09:03
    That means that we are supposed to follow His moral code. It does not mean that He follows our codes.
    If we follow God's moral code, a code given by God, then our code is the same as God's. What you are effectively saying is that God is not obliged to follow his own moral code.
  14. Standard memberwindmill
    your king.
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Nov '05 09:21
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    How do you know if God is moral by his own standards?? If no human can understand his moral code, you can't either. Maybe he doesn't have one.
    Jesus!🙂
  15. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    13 Nov '05 12:501 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    In the Christian faith the moral codes are a roadmap for human beings to God. Asking whether God is moral by his own standards is a bit silly, don't you think ? God doesn't need a roadmap to Himself.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree