1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Sep '22 07:582 edits
    Jonah chapter 4
    This change of plans made Jonah very angry. 2 He complained to the Lord about it: “This is exactly what I thought you’d do, Lord, when I was there in my own country and you first told me to come here. That’s why I ran away to Tarshish. For I knew you were a gracious God, merciful, slow to get angry, and full of kindness; I knew how easily you could cancel your plans for destroying these people.

3 “Please kill me, Lord; I’d rather be dead than alive when nothing that I told them happens.”

4 Then the Lord said, “Is it right to be angry about this?”

5 So Jonah went out and sat sulking on the east side of the city, and he made a leafy shelter to shade him as he waited there to see if anything would happen to the city.

6 And when the leaves of the shelter withered in the heat, the Lord arranged for a vine to grow up quickly and spread its broad leaves over Jonah’s head to shade him. This made him comfortable and very grateful.

7 But God also prepared a worm! The next morning the worm ate through the stem of the plant, so that it withered away and died.

8 Then when the sun was hot, God ordered a scorching east wind to blow on Jonah, and the sun beat down upon his head until he grew faint and wished to die. For he said, “Death is better than this!”

9 And God said to Jonah, “Is it right for you to be angry because the plant died?”

“Yes,” Jonah said, “it is; it is right for me to be angry enough to die!”

10 Then the Lord said, “You feel sorry for yourself when your shelter is destroyed, though you did no work to put it there, and it is, at best, short-lived.

11 And why shouldn’t I feel sorry for a great city like Nineveh with its 120,000 people in utter spiritual darkness and all its cattle?”

Living Bible

God describes Nineveh and its people as being in utter spiritual darkness and sent Jonah to warn them of his wrath. They were deserving of his wrath according to other popularly touted scriptures.

However God apparently changed his mind and despite his servant’s moody protestations, decided to spare them all.

They hadn’t repented and they hadn’t changed their ways. They were, according to certain popular mainstream doctrine on the topic, totally evil and deserving of destruction.

And yet God spared every single one of them. He didn’t spare a “few”, he spared them all. Despite other scriptures which superficially indicate that he was going against his own mandates.

And likewise God will spare all of mankind because of the complete and totally finished work of Jesus Christ and despite those scriptures and doctrines which are beloved by some and which also superficially indicate otherwise.

There is no hell.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    02 Sep '22 13:35
    @divegeester said
    [i]Jonah chapter 4
    This change of plans made Jonah very angry. 2 He complained to the Lord about it: “This is exactly what I thought you’d do, Lord, when I was there in my own country and you first told me to come here. That’s why I ran away to Tarshish. For I knew you were a gracious God, merciful, slow to get angry, and full of kindness; I knew how easily you could can ...[text shortened]... ch are beloved by some and which also superficially indicate otherwise.

There is no hell.
    Using Jonah and Nineveh to support your conclusion is not the best idea since Jesus said the complete opposite regarding Nineveh.

The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here. (Matthew 12:41 KJV)

Nineveh repented at the preaching of Jonah . You cannot claim the opposite of what Jesus said clearly, and expect to make sense.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '22 07:33
    @rajk999 said

Nineveh repented at the preaching of Jonah . You cannot claim the opposite of what Jesus said clearly, and expect to make sense.
    Clearly another contradiction in the bible, when one compares that to the account from Jonah.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    03 Sep '22 13:13
    @divegeester said
    Clearly another contradiction in the bible, when one compares that to the account from Jonah.
    Actually there is no contradiction. Jonah records the same thing Jesus said.

And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not. (Jonah 3:10 KJV)

Jonah preached.
    Nineveh changed and repented
    God forgave them

No contradiction.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Sep '22 13:46
    @rajk999 said

And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not. (Jonah 3:10 KJV)

Jonah preached.
    God forgave them

No contradiction.
    I agree with you, not only that Jesus made it a point to ponder as well.

Luke 11:32
    Men of Nineveh shall stand up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and behold, more than Jonas is here.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    03 Sep '22 14:311 edit
    @kellyjay said
    I agree with you, not only that Jesus made it a point to ponder as well.

Luke 11:32
    Men of Nineveh shall stand up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and behold, more than Jonas is here.
    The point Jesus is making is that He is GREATER THAN all other prophets or Kings or preists and always will be greater as he is the Son of God. It is a warning for people in general to heed that warning and stop following after the teachings of men.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '22 14:52
    @rajk999 said

Jonah preached.
    God forgave them

No contradiction.
    That’s just another contradiction of what’s written in chapter 4.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Sep '22 15:20
    @rajk999 said
    The point Jesus is making is that He is GREATER THAN all other prophets or Kings or preists and always will be greater as he is the Son of God. It is a warning for people in general to heed that warning and stop following after the teachings of men.
    I don't know about stopping following the teaching of men in those passages,
    Nineveh was sinning against God, and what teachings they were following by
    men were mentioned, but I do agree that Jesus is greater as He is the Son of
    God, they repented over the words that prophet said, and Jesus who is greater
    calls us to repent. If people miss that, they miss what God is saying to us.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '22 20:16
    @kellyjay said
    I don't know about stopping following the teaching of men in those passages,
    Nineveh was sinning against God, and what teachings they were following by
    men were mentioned, but I do agree that Jesus is greater as He is the Son of
    God, they repented over the words that prophet said, and Jesus who is greater
    calls us to repent. If people miss that, they miss what God is saying to us.
    There is no hell.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Sep '22 22:14
    @divegeester said
    There is no hell.
    Matthew 5:29
    But if thy right eye be a snare to thee, pluck it out and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members perish, and not thy whole body be cast into hell.

Matthew 5:30
    And if thy right hand be a snare to thee, cut it off and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members perish, and not thy whole body be cast into hell.

Matthew 10:28
    And be not afraid of those who kill the body, but cannot kill the soul; but fear rather him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Mark 9:45
    And if thy foot serve as a snare to thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life lame, than having thy two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire unquenchable;

Luke 12:5
    But I will shew you whom ye shall fear: Fear him who after he has killed has authority to cast into hell; yea, I say to you, Fear *him*.

You say no, Jesus says yes, I believe Jesus.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '22 22:283 edits
    His Mercy Endures Forever

1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good.
    For his mercy endures forever.
    2 Give thanks to the God of Gods.
    3 Give thanks to the Lord of Lords.
    4 To him who alone does great wonders
    5 To him who by his understanding made the heavens
    6 To him who spread out the earth on the waters—
    7 To him who made the great lights,
    8 the sun to rule by day,
    9 the moon and stars to rule by night—
    10 To him who struck Egypt by killing their firstborn,
    11 and brought Israel out from their midst,
    12 with a mighty hand and outstretched arm—
    13 To him who cut the Red Sea in two,
    14 and brought Israel through the middle of it,
    15 but brushed off Pharaoh and his army into the Red Sea—
    16 To him who made his people travel through the wilderness—
    17 To him who struck down great kings,
    18 and killed mighty kings,
    19 Sihon king of the Amorites,
    20 and Og king of Bashan,
    21 and gave their land as a possession,
    22 a possession to his servant Israel.
    23 Who remembered us in our low condition,
    24 and tore us out of the hands of our oppressors.
    25 He gives food to all living creatures.
    26 Give thanks to the God of the heavens.
  12. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    03 Sep '22 23:02
    @divegeester said

There is no hell.
    I disagree.

You are clearly a voluntary agent of hell, even if hell only exists in the imagination.

Agents of hell such as you enact and maintain hell on Earth for others who might have the misfortune of ever interacting with you.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Sep '22 23:06
    @divegeester said
    His Mercy Endures Forever

1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good.
    2 Give thanks to the God of Gods.
    3 Give thanks to the Lord of Lords.
    4 To him who alone does great wonders
    5 To him who by his understanding made ...[text shortened]... endures forever.
    26 Give thanks to the God of the heavens.
    His mercy does endure forever, He judges us in righteousness, He is good, holy,
    and will never be anything less than good, righteous, just, and holy; so can God
    forgive someone who sins due to just His mercy, because He is also just and good?
    Everything God does is going to satisfy everything there is to God, if He does
    anything it will be due to righteousness, goodness, justice, mercy, and holiness
    and not a single attribute of God will be lessened to satisfy another. Can God
    show mercy or judgment at the same time across the board towards everyone?
    Does God have to either forgive all, or condemn all, or can He do to each as
    God requires showing mercy to some and condemnation of others as He sees
    fit?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Sep '22 23:24
    @kellyjay said
    His mercy does endure forever
    Yes it does, and “forever” is a long time.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Sep '22 23:34
    @divegeester said
    Yes it does, and “forever” is a long time.
    I agree, that forever is a long time, but that has nothing to do with what I said.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree