1. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 14:303 edits
    It appears to me that much confusion surrounds the term God or gods in the Biblical text.

Because we are monotheistic we usually think in terms of a single God, the most High, Almighty God, but the fact of the matter is that the Bible uses the term 'gods', for a variety of personages, not only the most High.

For example when charged by opposers with ‘making himself a god,’ Jesus’ reply was: “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said: “You are gods”’? If he called ‘gods’ those against whom the word of God came, and yet the Scripture cannot be nullified, do you say to me whom the Father sanctified and dispatched into the world, ‘You blaspheme,’ because I said, I am God’s Son?” (Joh 10:31-37)

Jesus here quotes from Psalm 82, in which human judges, whom God condemned for not executing justice, were called “gods.” (Ps 82:1, 2, 6, 7) Thus, Jesus showed the unreasonableness of charging him with blasphemy for stating that he was, not God, but God’s Son.

Other instances include 2 Corinthians 4:4 where Satan is described as 'the god of this system of things', who has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through.

Indeed we even find the term applied to Jesus as in John 1:18 where it is written, 'No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god (Greek monogens theos) who is in the bosom [position] with the Father is the one that has explained him.

http://biblehub.com/text/john/1-18.htm

Thus it is clear that the Bible speaks of gods, whether as humans, satanic angels or the son of God himself. The question therefore arises in what sense are these entities to be considered as 'gods'?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 16:14
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    It appears to me that much confusion surrounds the term God or gods in the Biblical text.

Because we are monotheistic we usually think in terms of a single God, the most High, Almighty God, but the fact of the matter is that the Bible uses the term 'gods', for a variety of personages, not only the most High.

For example when charged by oppo ...[text shortened]... elf. The question therefore arises in what sense are these entities to be considered as 'gods'?
    Are you seriously suggesting that any reference to the word "god"' as in for example satan thinking himself god, or the scriptures referring to "household gods" carries the same significance as Isaiah prophesying that a child shall be born and he will be called:

Everlasting Father (please note this especially)
    Mighty god
    Prince of peace
    Wonderful counsellor
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 16:253 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Are you seriously suggesting that any reference to the word "god"' as in for example satan thinking himself god, or the scriptures referring to "household gods" carries the same significance as Isaiah prophesying that a child shall be born and he will be called:

Mighty god
    Prince of peace
    Wonderful counsellor
    I don't recall mentioning Isaiah in my text, perhaps you can explain why its relevant. The actual question that i did ask and which once again seems to have evaded you is, in what sense are these entities to be considered as 'gods'?
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 17:55

Mighty god
    Prince of peace
    Wonderful counsellor
    Oh my. So complicated for you isn't it.........Who said he is a household god? Not us. Must be your idea or concept.

He is NOT Almighty God who is Jehovah but he is at Jehovah's right hand just as the bible says. He has been given much power and authority because of his remaining faithful to his Father. So yes he is a God in our eyes BUT he is NOT Almighty Jehovah God.

"Everlasting Father (please note this especially)" Why does this not apply to Jesus as the son of the Almighty God?

"Mighty god" Why does this not apply to Jesus as the son of the Almighty God?

"Prince of peace" Why does this not apply to Jesus as the son of the Almighty God?

"Wonderful counsellor" Why does this not apply to Jesus as the son of the Almighty God?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 17:551 edit
    I don't recall mentioning Isaiah in my text, perhaps you can explain why its relevant. The actual question that i did ask and which once again seems to have evaded you is, in what sense are these entities to be considered as 'gods'?
    I didn't realise I was not allowed to bring my own scripture to the thread and one which discusses god, I might add, as almighty and in other descriptions. Perhaps you should have this conversation with Galveston via PM if all you want is your ego stroked.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 17:581 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Oh my. So complicated for you isn't it.........Who said he is a household god? Not us. Must be your idea or concept.

He is NOT Almighty God who is Jehovah but he is at Jehovah's right hand just as the bible says. He has been given much power and authority because of his remaining faithful to his Father. So yes he is a God in our eyes BUT he is NOT A ...[text shortened]... d?

"Wonderful counsellor" Why does this not apply to Jesus as the son of the Almighty God?
    I don't know Galveston. Why don't you put me out of my suspense filled misery and tell me?

Let me guess...is it because Jesus is not the same person as Jehovah by any chance?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Feb '14 21:17
    I didn't realise I was not allowed to bring my own scripture to the thread and one which discusses god, I might add, as almighty and in other descriptions. Perhaps you should have this conversation with Galveston via PM if all you want is your ego stroked.
    what I wanted was to ask in what sense are these entities to be considered as 'gods'?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 00:24
    what I wanted was to ask in what sense are these entities to be considered as 'gods'?
    I believed they are considered gods because of their power over men, but they are false gods because there is only one true God, who is both mighty and almighty.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 01:50
    I don't know Galveston. Why don't you put me out of my suspense filled misery and tell me?

Let me guess...is it because Jesus is not the same person as Jehovah by any chance?
    You seem to know it all or at least claim that no one else knows anything at all, all the time. So you go ahead and tell us how it is....
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 01:51
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I believed they are considered gods because of their power over men, but they are false gods because there is only one true God, who is both mighty and almighty.
    Good one Ron. Play with those words to make it work for you.....
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 04:15
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Good one Ron. Play with those words to make it work for you.....
    Glad you liked it.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the LORD! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 09:32
    so you think its because they exercise power over men that they are termed gods, therefore we might say that being a god is tied up with having power or might. Thankyou Hinds. Can we therefore state that Jesus is termed a god because he wields a degree of power and authority and not because he is the same personage as God.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 11:08
    so you think its because they exercise power over men that they are termed gods, therefore we might say that being a god is tied up with having power or might. Thankyou Hinds. Can we therefore state that Jesus is termed a god because he wields a degree of power and authority and not because he is the same personage as God.
    I would not say that, but you could, if you wish to say Jesus is a false god, like Satan.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 11:30
    I would not say that, but you could, if you wish to say Jesus is a false god, like Satan.
    You were not asked what is a false God or a true God, what you were actually asked is why these entities are considered gods, to which you answered that the definition of a god is that they have power. Is it therefore possible to be a god, whether true or false and not be the personage of God himself, this is what you were actually asked.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Feb '14 11:55
    You were not asked what is a false God or a true God, what you were actually asked is why these entities are considered gods, to which you answered that the definition of a god is that they have power. Is it therefore possible to be a god, whether true or false and not be the personage of God himself, this is what you were actually asked.
    But you must understand that there is only one true God. All other so-called gods are false gods. People can consider Kings and Emperors and judges, and Egyptian cows as gods and many did. However, they are false gods.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree