God is Great

God is Great

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
15 Dec 05

Originally posted by stocken
And God said, Let us make man in our image
Indeed. Read the article in the Hebrew Henotheism thread.

B

Moves
15 Dec 05

Originally posted by The Chess Express
[b]God is great indeed.

Psalm 147:5 Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.

Psalm 145:3 Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable.

God is a God of justice.

Psalm 145:17 The Lord is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works.

God has a good ...[text shortened]... Christ all will be made alive. But each in his own turn...

Yes, God is great indeed![/b][/b]
thanks for that. you never know when you might need half a page of useless and random bible passages

s

Moves
15 Dec 05

Originally posted by Bromage
thanks for that. you never know when you might need half a page of useless and random bible passages
😵

That's sarcasm at its best, I think.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
15 Dec 05

😵

That's sarcasm at its best, I think.
Or worst. It all depends on perspective.

s

Moves
15 Dec 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Halitose
Or worst. It all depends on perspective.
Sarcasm must have a spike to it to be good. What he said, was good sarcasm (for the sarcasm itself).

You could have replied with something like:

Pointless statements like that is what gives life to any thread...

Well, I'm not all that good at being sarcastic, but I'm sure you'd think of something better. Or you just want to keep the thread clear of nonsense?, in which case I'm with you. I just couldn't help myself. I laughed reading bromages [edit] post.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
15 Dec 05
1 edit

Sarcasm must have a spike to it to be good. What he said, was good sarcasm (for the sarcasm itself).

You could have replied with something like:

Pointless statements like that is what gives life to any thread...

Well, I'm not all that good at being sarcastic, but I'm sure you'd think of something better. Or you just want to keep the thread clear ...[text shortened]... which case I'm with you. I just couldn't help myself. I laughed reading bromages [edit] post.
It was certainly sarcasm - the way sarcasm goes. 😏

I had a snigger of my own when I read it, I'm just kinda tired of that being the best people can do - a snide remark and no further constructive input (or constructive criticism for that matter). :'(

TCE

Colorado

Moves
15 Dec 05

And God said, Let us make man in our image

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's one God. Who are they with which God creates man in their image?..

I could make a lame joke about split personality, but I'd probably just screw it up, so I won't...

---

Reading the above, it seems to me that God is what man should be. Why can't we ...[text shortened]... ving, compassionate, tolerant and all these good things, without needing a God? I don't get it.
Interesting point. Quite honestly I’m not sure. Maybe God is one with all the angels. God is one and many at the same time, or something like that. What do you think?

s

Moves
15 Dec 05

Originally posted by Halitose
It was certainly sarcasm - the way sarcasm goes. 😏

I had a snigger of my own when I read it, I'm just kinda tired of that being the best people can do - a snide remark and no further constructive input (or constructive criticism for that matter). :'(
I hear you...

s

Moves
15 Dec 05
1 edit

Interesting point. Quite honestly I’m not sure. Maybe God is one with all the angels. God is one and many at the same time, or something like that. What do you think?
I'm starting to believe that if we apply pure logic to the christian God, we will loose the message. The message from the bible (well, the part I like to hear, anyway) is to love, be compassionate and tolerant. This, is something I take literally, and very seriously. The rest of the bible that don't speak to my heart, or I find very hard to believe, I just... well, leave it be... Perhaps pop a question every now and then.

If God exists, it's certainly possible that (s)he is both one and many. (S)he can be anything at all for all we know. So, I would concurr with the title of this thread, but add the prefix: "If God exists, "

---

Well, since God can be anything at all for all we know, this could also be true: "If God exists, God is Great... or not".

"...and loving... I hope"

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
15 Dec 05

God is great indeed.
etc.
God is a God of justice.
Killed Uzzah for touching the ark of the covenant in an attempt to keep it from tipping over.

God has a good temperament.
Became angry with Israel (for an unexplained reason), motivated David to take a census (apparently a grave sin??), and killed 70,000 innocent people to make himself feel better.

God does not discriminate.
"I love Jacob, but I hate Esau."

God has given us the answers we need...
Told Job, "Don't bother trying to comprehend the suffering I put you through because you're not smart enough to understand my motivations." (God was in a pissing contest with Satan)

God has made his children perfect…
"For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God."

…so that we may realize this and become Godlike ourselves.
"Our righteousness is like filthy rags..."

God does not ask for our fear, but instead asks for our love.
"Fear Him (God) who has the power to cast body and soul into hell."

God will give us what we ask for.
David didn't get to build the temple and Moses didn't get to enter the land of Caanan.

God will not forget us.
God will never leave us, but will see us through no matter what.
God will not give up on us, but will see to it that we do not fail.
God repeatedly told Israel that if they didn't keep his commandments, he'd abandon them and make a mockery of them before the nations.

God will not let any of his own slip through the cracks, but ensure that there is only one possible outcome for all of his children.
"And he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels'...".

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
15 Dec 05

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
[bGod will not let any of his own slip through the cracks, but ensure that there is only one possible outcome for all of his children.
"And he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels'...".[/b]
By underestimating the thinking of God, you undermine your own. You've got your panties in a bunch because you don't understand the message. Instead of following the truth where ever it leads, you decide to stop at apparent contradiction.
One plays checkers, one plays chess.

K
Chess Samurai

Yes

Moves
15 Dec 05
1 edit

Of course he is...

He can sleep with another man's wife and not only is he not an adulterer...no only did the husband let him do it....but billions of people THANK him for it!!!!

God IS great!!!

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
15 Dec 05

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
By underestimating the thinking of God, you undermine your own. You've got your panties in a bunch because you don't understand the message. Instead of following the truth where ever it leads, you decide to stop at apparent contradiction.
One plays checkers, one plays chess.
I'm questioning the thinking of TheChessExpress.

Your idea of 'following the truth where ever it leads' is to first assume the bible is true, then use creative interpretations to get around the contradictions. I did the same thing for 20 years as a christian.

Now, I prefer to test an idea before accepting it as true.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Dec 05
4 edits

Originally posted by Nemesio
Certainly, I don't consider hymns like the quotations of Psalms as indicative
of God's greatness. Those texts are consummate Jewish poetry in praise of
God. Go a few Psalms back and you'll find places where Jews lament God's
actions (Psalm 22 comes to mind).
Certainly, I don't consider hymns like the quotations of Psalms as indicative
of God's greatness. Those texts are consummate Jewish poetry in praise of
God. Go a few Psalms back and you'll find places where Jews lament God's
actions (Psalm 22 comes to mind).

This does not sound like poetry. It sounds like a prophecy of the Messiah on the cross.

Ps 22:6-19
6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.
7 All those who see Me ridicule Me; they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
8 "He trusted in the LORD, let Him rescue Him; let Him deliver Him, since He delights in Him!"
9 But You are He who took Me out of the womb; you made Me trust while on My mother's breasts.
10 I was cast upon You from birth. From My mother's womb you have been My God.
11 Be not far from Me, for trouble is near; for there is none to help.
12 Many bulls have surrounded Me; strong bulls of Bashan have encircled Me.
13 They gape at Me with their mouths, like a raging and roaring lion.
14 I am poured out like water, and all My bones are out of joint; my heart is like wax; it has melted within Me.
15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and My tongue clings to My jaws; you have brought Me to the dust of death.
16 For dogs have surrounded Me; the congregation of the wicked has enclosed Me. They pierced My hands and My feet;
17 I can count all My bones. They look and stare at Me.
18 They divide My garments among them, and for My clothing they cast lots.
19 But You, O LORD, do not be far from Me; O My Strength, hasten to help Me!
(NKJ)

TCE

Colorado

Moves
16 Dec 05

I'm starting to believe that if we apply pure logic to the christian God, we will loose the message. The message from the bible (well, the part I like to hear, anyway) is to love, be compassionate and tolerant. This, is something I take literally, and very seriously. The rest of the bible that don't speak to my heart, or I find very hard to believe, I ...[text shortened]... this could also be true: "If God exists, God is Great... or not".

"...and loving... I hope"
I'm starting to believe that if we apply pure logic to the christian God, we will loose the message. The message from the bible (well, the part I like to hear, anyway) is to love, be compassionate and tolerant. This, is something I take literally, and very seriously. The rest of the bible that don't speak to my heart, or I find very hard to believe, I just... well, leave it be... Perhaps pop a question every now and then.

That is a great approach to take towards the Bible. People interpret the scripture in all different ways. We wonder whether the scripture can be true after all the translations, and whether or not it holds up to the science, but that’s missing the point.

The Bible is not a text book, and yet the critics often treat it as such. If A + B does not equal C then the whole thing is refuted, as if God could ever be explained by words. Jesus himself warned against this approach,

Luke 8: 9-10 And the disciples asked him, saying, What might this parable be? 10 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.

Personally, I believe that the idea is to experience God and not rely on what other people say about him.

Jer 29:13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Aside from the judge not verses this is probably the most overlooked verse in the Bible. What is the mathematical formula to explain this?