1. Colorado
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 06:574 edits
    God is great indeed.

Psalm 147:5 Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.

Psalm 145:3 Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable.

God is a God of justice.

Psalm 145:17 The Lord is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works.

God has a good temperament.

Psalm 145:8 The Lord is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy.

God does not discriminate.

Psalm 145:9 The Lord is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

God has always known us, even before we knew ourselves.

Jeremiah 1:5 Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I
    sanctified thee…

God has given us the answers we need...

Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! Or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.
    …and the means to find them.

Jer 29:13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

God has made his children perfect…

Genesis 1:26-27 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

I John 3:1 Behold, what manner of love the father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God.

…so that we may realize this and become Godlike ourselves.

John 14:9 Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

Matt 10:24-25 The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his Lord. It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his Lord...

Matt 5:48 Be yee therefore perfect, even as your father which is in heaven is perfect.

God does not ask for our fear, but instead asks for our love.

I John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear has torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

I John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

I John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and everyone that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

II Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and a sound mind.

God will give us what we ask for.

Matt7:7-8 Ask, and it shall be given to you, seek, and ye shall find: knock, and it shall be opened unto you; 8 For everyone that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Matthew 21:22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.

God will not forget us.

Psalm 139:17-18 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, OH God! How great is the sum of them! 18 If I should count them, they are more in number then the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.
    God will never leave us, but will see us through no matter what.

Romans 8:38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Psalm 139:7-10 Wither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? If I ascend up into heaven, thou art their: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art their. If I take the wings of the mourning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

Heb 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

God will not give up on us, but will see to it that we do not fail.

Phil. 1:6 He will finish the work that He has begun.

Isa. 55:11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

Psalm 106:1 PRAISE YE the Lord. O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good: for his mercy endureth forever.

Lam 3:22 It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.

Jer 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord; thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

God will not let any of his own slip through the cracks, but ensure that there is only one possible outcome for all of his children.

I Tim 2:3-4 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our savior. 4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Rom. 14:11 It is written: `As surely as I live,' says the Lord, `every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.'

1 Cor. 15:22-23 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. But each in his own turn...

[/b]Yes, God is great indeed![/b]
  2. Not Kansas
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 07:00
    Originally posted by The Chess Express
    [b]God is great indeed.

Psalm 147:5 Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.

Psalm 145:3 Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable.

God is a God of justice.

God has a good ...[text shortened]... 5:22-23 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. But each in his own turn...
    You spelt "Allah" wrong.
  3. Colorado
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 07:061 edit
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    You spelt "Allah" wrong.
    No, it’s spelled just fine. “God” works for many religions, and all people.
  4. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 07:11
    No, it’s spelled just fine. “God” works for many religions, and all people.
    If it's the same difference, how come you don't have any 'God is great'
    quotes from the Koran?

Nemesio
  5. Colorado
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 07:141 edit
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    quotes from the Koran?

Nemesio
    I haven't read my copy yet, and there are plenty to choose from in the Bible.
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 07:15
    quotes from the Koran?

Nemesio
    Do you think its the same difference?
  7. Not Kansas
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 07:24
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Isn't it?
    Are you not "people of the book?"
  8. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 08:342 edits
    Originally posted by Halitose
    I never made the comment, nor did I start the thread. His thread
    and subsequent comment begs the question.

That having been said, I don't think that revelation is limited to a single text
    or even to sacred texts. So I don't know about 'same difference' because
    he has not posted quotes from the Koran. [edited]

Certainly, I don't consider hymns like the quotations of Psalms as indicative
    of God's greatness. Those texts are consummate Jewish poetry in praise of
    God. Go a few Psalms back and you'll find places where Jews lament God's
    actions (Psalm 22 comes to mind).

Indications of God's greatness come from His actions, not from hymns. These
    Psalms are just reflections on that greatness (or awfulness, depending on the
    Jewish mood).

Nemesio
  9. Colorado
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 09:022 edits
    I never made the comment, nor did I start the thread. His thread
    and subsequent comment begs the question.

That having been said, I don't think that revelation is limited to a single text
    or even to sacred texts. So I don't know about 'same difference' because
    he has posted quotes from the Koran.

Certainly, I don't consider hymns like the ...[text shortened]... lms are just reflections on that greatness (or awfulness, depending on the
    Jewish mood).

Nemesio
    he has posted quotes from the Koran

Not to my knowledge. Are there verses in the Bible that appear in the Koran as well? The verses that I’ve cited in this thread come from the Bible and can be verified by the references I give.

Certainly, I don't consider hymns like the quotations of Psalms as indicative of God's greatness.

This is your choice of coarse, but the hymns appear in the Bible for a reason.

Go a few Psalms back and you'll find places where Jews lament God's actions (Psalm 22 comes to mind).

There seems to be far more good in Psalms 22 than bad is there not? David was having his trouble as we all do here on earth, and God saves him and everybody else. What’s so lamentable?

Indications of God's greatness come from His actions, not from hymns. These Psalms are just reflections on that greatness…

Are reflections not indications? When it comes to God, the only proof is that which we experience not what we read about.
  10. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 09:04
    he has posted quotes from the Koran
    I meant he has not posted quotes from the Koran.
  11. Standard memberNemesio
    Ursulakantor
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 09:11
    This is your choice of coarse, but the hymns appear in the Bible for a reason.

Yes, they were worship. They were no different (well, better) than the
    hymns you sing on Sunday during worship. The collection of Psalms was
    like the Liber Usualis for the 16th-century Roman Church; a hymnal.

You can find any such poetry from any religion. Some songs are going
    to be happy, some sad, some are going to praise God, some are going to
    demonstrate fear or awe.

Are reflections not indications? When it comes to God, the only proof is that which we experience not what we read about.

By reflection, I meant 'contemplative musing,' like when you read a post and reflect
    upon whether it makes sense or not. I didn't mean it to be synonymous with indication
    (although I admit the context was not clear).

Nemesio
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 09:15
    God is great indeed.
    This is an almost meaningless statement. The very definition of the word God implies greatness. If he was not great he could hardly even be called a god and cirtainly could not be the only God.
  13. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 09:401 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    This is an almost meaningless statement. The very definition of the word God implies greatness. If he was not great he could hardly even be called a god and cirtainly could not be the only God.
    How would you define greatness?
  14. Colorado
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 09:42
    [b]This is your choice of coarse, but the hymns appear in the Bible for a reason.

Yes, they were worship. They were no different (well, better) than the
    hymns you sing on Sunday during worship. The collection of Psalms was
    like the Liber Usualis for the 16th-century Roman Church; a hymnal.

You can ...[text shortened]... an it to be synonymous with indication
    (although I admit the context was not clear).

Nemesio[/b]
    In many places David appears to be talking about his own experience though. Going to hell, being dead, experiencing all the suffering and the hordes of ungodly men, crying out in distress to God, and then having God show mercy and release you from hell, doesn’t exactly seem like good wholesome Sunday morning sing along hymns.

I know you dismiss much of the scripture as merely philosophical studies, but personally I’m inclined to believe that there is more to it. Also, many of the verses that I cited are not from the book of Psalms.
  15. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Dec '05 10:33
    [b]God is great indeed.

God is a God of justice.

God has a good ...[text shortened]... Christ all will be made alive. But each in his own turn...

Yes, God is great indeed![/b][/b]
    And God said, Let us make man in our image

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's one God. Who are they with which God creates man in their image?..

I could make a lame joke about split personality, but I'd probably just screw it up, so I won't...

---

Reading the above, it seems to me that God is what man should be. Why can't we just say that, flat out, and get past this need for a God as a model? Why can't we just be loving, compassionate, tolerant and all these good things, without needing a God? I don't get it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree