1. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 00:571 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Have you ever watched a video of someone being stoned to death? I can post you a link if you want, watch it, and then tell me how what you watched is having the persons best interests at heart.
    Have you ever seen a society poisend by allowing sin to go unchecked and sexual diseases come as they may and what broken homes and children without both parents by their sides become?
    How about Egypt, Babylon, Rome, Greece and oh yeah, the world as we see it today as a whole?
    No way this world would be as it is today if the majority of stupid and godless humans would have let God be in our lifes and guiding us in our decisions and keeping us safe from godless and "whatever you want to do attitude" humans and governments.
    So yes I have seen it in a video and it was horrible. But if that was done to ones who say murder another human, what affects do you think it would have on another that was contimplating murdering someone? THINK......
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 01:14
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]God knows...

God knows precisely what He's doing and, therefore, naturally thinks and speaks in direct terms... 'yes' and 'no', not maybe or 'we'll see' or any other indecisive form of lukewarm.

Your view?

-gb[/b]
    If we adjust our morality so as to excuse the acts of God, it can become difficult to tell the angels and demons apart:

"He went on chatting as simply and unaffectedly as ever; and while he talked he made a crowd of little men and women the size of your finger, and they went diligently to work and cleared and leveled off a space a couple of yards square in the grass and began to build a cunning little castle in it, the women mixing the mortar and carrying it up the scaffoldings in pails on their heads, just as our work-women have always done, and the men laying the courses of masonry - five hundred of these toy people swarming briskly about and working diligently and wiping the sweat off their faces as natural as life. In the absorbing interest of watching those five hundred little people make the castle grow step by step and course by course and take shape and symmetry, that feeling and awe soon passed away and we were quite comfortable and at home again. We asked if we might make some people, and he said yes, and told Seppi to make some cannon for the walls, and told Nikolaus to make some halberdiers, with breastplates and greaves and helmets, and I was to make some cavalry, with horses, and in allotting these tasks he called us by our names, but did not say how he knew them. Then Seppi asked him what his own name was, and he said, tranquilly, "Satan," and held out a chip and caught a little woman on it who was falling from the scaffolding and put her back where she belonged, and said, "She is an idiot to step backward like that and not notice what she is about."

It caught us suddenly, that name did, and our work dropped out of of our hands and broke to pieces - a cannon, a halberdier, and a horse. Satan laughed, and asked what was the matter. I said, "Nothing, only it seemed a strange name for an angel." He asked why.

"Because it's - it's - well, it's his name, you know."

"Yes - he is my uncle."

Two of the little workmen were quarreling, and in buzzing little bumblebee voices they were cursing and swearing at each other; now came blows and blood; then they locked themselves together in a life-and-death struggle. Satan reached out his hand and crushed the life out of them with his fingers, threw them away, wiped the red from his fingers on his handkerchief, and went on talking where he had left off: "We cannot do wrong; neither have we any disposition to do it, for we do not know what it is."

It seemed a strange speech, in the circumstances, but we barely noticed that, we were so shocked and grieved at the wanton murder he had committed - for murder it was, that was its true name, and it was without palliation or excuse, for the men had not wronged him in any way.

... the wives of the little dead men had found the crushed and shapeless bodies and were crying over them, and sobbing and lamenting, and a priest was kneeling there with his hands crossed upon his breast, praying; and crowds and crowds of pitying friends were massed about them, reverently uncovered, with their bare heads bowed, and many with the tears running down a scene which Satan paid no attention to until the small noise of the weeping and praying began to annoy him, then he reached out and took the heavy board seat out of our swing and brought it down and mashed all those people into the earth just as if they had been flies, and went on talking just the same.

An angel, and kill a priest! An angel who did not know how to do wrong, and yet destroys in cold blood hundreds of helpless poor men and women who had never done him any harm! It made us sick to see that awful deed, and to think that none of those poor creatures was prepared except the priest, for none of them had ever heard a mass or seen a church. And we were witnesses; we had seen these murders done and it was our duty to tell, and let the law take its course.

But he went on talking right along, and worked his enchantments upon us again with that fatal music of his voice. He made us forget everything; we could only listen to him, and love him, and be his slaves, to do with us as he would. He made us drunk with the joy of being with him, and of looking into the heaven of his eyes, and of feeling the ecstasy that thrilled along our veins from the touch of his hand."

http://www.shsu.edu/~eng_wpf/authors/Twain/Mysterious-Stranger.htm
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 15:071 edit
    Originally posted by JS357

If we adjust our morality so as to excuse the acts of God, it can become difficult to tell the angels and demons apart:

"He went on chatting as simply and unaffectedly as ever; and while he talked he made a crowd of little men and women the size of your finger, and they went diligently to work and cleared and leveled off a space a couple of yards squa of his hand."

http://www.shsu.edu/~eng_wpf/authors/Twain/Mysterious-Stranger.htm
    Thread topic is God's unequivocating character and decision process, not "... adjusting our morality" or Mark Twain's ruminations.
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 16:55
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Have you ever seen a society poisend by allowing sin to go unchecked and sexual diseases come as they may and what broken homes and children without both parents by their sides become?
    How about Egypt, Babylon, Rome, Greece and oh yeah, the world as we see it today as a whole?
    No way this world would be as it is today if the majority of stupid and g ...[text shortened]... ts do you think it would have on another that was contimplating murdering someone? THINK......
    On the 'WTF Factor Chart'®, that post would score somewhere near full marks.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 17:02
    Thread topic is God's unequivocating character and decision process, not "... adjusting our morality" or Mark Twain's ruminations.
    It's your tea party, then.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 17:42
    It's your tea party, then.
    Hard fist of absolute reality stings sometimes.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 17:54
    Hard fist of absolute reality stings sometimes.
    Metaphors of brutality have haunted Christianity. It must be fun for you to use them.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 18:39
    [b]God knows...

God knows precisely what He's doing and, therefore, naturally thinks and speaks in direct terms... 'yes' and 'no', not maybe or 'we'll see' or any other indecisive form of lukewarm.

Your view?

-gb[/b]
    The Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. The Lord said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them" (Gen. 6:6-7).

I [the Lord] regret that I have made Saul king, for he has turned back from following Me and has not carried out My commands (1 Sam. 15:11).

Scripture sometimes informs us that God learns facts from observation (see Gen. 18:21; Ps. 53:2), that He is surprised by what happens (see Is. 59:16; 63:5; Jer. 19:5), that He tests people (Gen. 22:1; Ex. 15:25; Ps. 11:5), and that He even changes His mind based on facts He learns (Ex. 32:14; 2 Sam. 24:16; Amos 7:3, 6).
    http://www.heavensfamily.org/ss/e_teachings/2008/gods-regrets-mans-free-will

God does say 'we'll see':[quote]Gen 18:20 Then the Lord said, “The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous 21 that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know.”
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 18:431 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    So yes I have seen [stoning] in a video and it was horrible. But if that was done to ones who say murder another human, what affects do you think it would have on another that was contimplating murdering someone? THINK......
    Eighty-eight percent of the country’s top criminologists do not believe the death penalty acts as a deterrent to homicide, according to a new study published in the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology...

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/facts-about-deterrence-and-death-penalty
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 19:14
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Eighty-eight percent of the country’s top criminologists do not believe the death penalty acts as a deterrent to homicide, according to a new study published in the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology...

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/facts-about-deterrence-and-death-penalty
    You would have thought an omniscient God would have that worked out already.
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 20:42
    Metaphors of brutality have haunted Christianity. It must be fun for you to use them.
    Sentence topic is absolute reality, not Christianity.
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 20:45
    I have been examining some of the other passages from the website I gave. This one is really confusing:
    Exodus 32:11 Then Moses entreated the LORD his God, and said, “O LORD, why does Your anger burn against Your people whom You have brought out from the land of Egypt with great power and with a mighty hand? 12 Why should the Egyptians speak, saying, ‘With evil intent He brought them out to kill them in the mountains and to destroy them from the face of the earth’? Turn from Your burning anger and change Your mind about doing harm to Your people. 13 Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, Your servants to whom You swore by Yourself, and said to them, ‘I will multiply your [f]descendants as the stars of the heavens, and all this land of which I have spoken I will give to your [g]descendants, and they shall inherit it forever.’” 14 So the LORD changed His mind about the harm which He said He would do to His people.
    Look at this from Moses's perspective. He feels that God needs to know that the Egyptians might say God just led Israel to its death. Did he think that God not knowledgeable enough or smart enough to think of this? He reminds God of his covenant with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Did he think that God forgot? God's angry reaction is very human-like. An emotion flares up and overwhelms logic and reason. Moses had to talk to God as if he was just a buddy that was about to go do something really stupid.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 20:46
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    The Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. The Lord said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, from man to animals to creeping things and to birds of the sky; for I am sorry that I have made them" (Gen. 6:6-7).

[quote]I [the Lord] regret that I have made Saul king, ...[text shortened]... e if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know.”
    Not quite... just a few magnificent language of accomodation passages expressing dissapointment that because of God's omniscience was foreknown.
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 20:47
    [b]God knows...

Your view?

-gb[/b]
    If that was true (it isn't but I'll humour you) then god couldn't be the author of the bible
    (or any other known holy book) because they are full to brimming with uncertainties,
    vagaries, contradictions, fallacies and mistakes to have been written by an all knowing
    and certain omnipotent being. (unless that god was trying to sound like primitive goat herders.)
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    19 Mar '12 20:54
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    If that was true (it isn't but I'll humour you) then god couldn't be the author of the bible
    (or any other known holy book) because they are full to brimming with uncertainties,
    vagaries, contradictions, fallacies and mistakes to have been written by an all knowing
    and certain omnipotent being. (unless that god was trying to sound like primitive goat herders.)
    God's Inspired Word accurately contains Lucifer's own lies and accurately reports them. The entire 66 Books of the OT

and NT contain everything God wants us to know during our brief temporal life on earth. Nothing less, nothing more.

gb

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree