1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 06:47
    Originally posted by rwingett
    As the recs in this forum are overwhelmingly partisan, perhaps posts in the "Spirituality" forum should have no rec option at all. It could be a recless (reckless) forum.
    ROFL, I was joking when I said it.
    Kelly
  2. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 07:57
    Originally posted by telerion
    Surely, you've all noticed that members of the Holier-Than-Thou Alliance, a highly unstable partnership of born-agains and one fundamentalist Roman Catholic, have been giving each other rec's like Chic Tracks at Halloween.

As a result of this reckless behavior, the true value of the recommendation has been in sharp decline, prompting some to consider w ...[text shortened]... ation policy without further diminishing the valule of our prized intellectual/comedic currency.

Firstly, I am not a fundamentalist Roman Catholic.

Secondly, I once proposed to remove the displayed TOTAL amounts of posts a debater has recieved in order to reduce unhealthy forum rivalry.

The post should be recced, not the person.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 10:15
    I have noticed this phenomenon too and I have to say that since Darfius has been active for only a couple of months in these forums and has recieved 80-something votes I decided to look through his back catalogue of rec'd posts and see what came up. Here is a small collection of some of them:

17 Feb '05 00:05 :: 1 recommendations
    Anyone who practices Islam and follows the Koran is instructed to 'strike off their necks' when they meet an unbeliever who cannot be swayed. There is no 'tolerant' Muslim. There are just Muslims who do not follow the Koran, much like there are Christians who don't adhere to the Bible.

19 Feb '05 10:33 :: 1 recommendations
    There you go slandering me again. Despite what you think, O omniscient one, I've done my research and am still covinced Jesus is my Lord and Savior. To say that makes me less intelligent or learned than you is ridiculous. We simply look at the evidence and come up with different conclusions. Obviously, your conclusion tends to make you call people names and show disdain for them whereas mine tends to make me feel love for them and try to help them.

07 Mar '05 04:56 :: 1 recommendations
    Surprisingly quiet...

08 Mar '05 02:22 :: 2 recommendations
    Pure bigotry.

01 Mar '05 20:57 :: 1 recommendations
    While I find it for you, how about you address my post about the founders. Or do Muslims want to be like someone other than Muhammed??

01 Mar '05 21:23 :: 1 recommendations
    How many Christian terrorists are being smuggled into Islamic countries by street gangs, pray tell?
    How many Christian terrorists are beheading people on video, pray tell?
    How many Christian terrorists are suicide bombing people pray tell?
    A singular bombing of an abortion clinic by Christians who are obviously not following Christ's example is NOT the same as Koran following Muslims who DO follow Muhammed's example.
    You call me a bigot. I call you a crowd pleasing imbecile who needs Christ.

01 Mar '05 21:40 :: 1 recommendations
    Are you seriously comparing the corrupt Catholic church (who I thought we established wasn't a Christian church) CENTURIES ago to modern day Muslims?
    I mean, is that seriously the best you can do to compare "Christians" who use the Pope's "infallibility" to start "religious wars" and NOT the Bible to Muslims who use the Koran?
    Open your eyes. Muhammed saw a demon, not an angel, and the Koran is an evil book.

He also posted a link with a cut & paste and recieved 2 recs for it. We give out recs for links and cut & paste jobs nowadays? Geez, dj2becker should be on 1000 by now!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at Darfius, although some of you might jump to that conclusion due to my obvious opinions of him. Occasionally he does post something worth rec'ing and should recieve those recs. I'd be happy to rec him if he wrote something I valued as a good point and have actually done so before. I'm just saying that the people that are giving out recs for these posts need to reconsider what rec'ing is for and whether, just because you agree with someone or you support them in the conversation, they really deserve a rec. I dunno, on reading this back I feel a bit anal about it all, it just annoys me a bit. I like to think I work hard for my recs as it is a sign of respect and that people welcome what you say in these forums. Seeing them given out for posts like the ones above disheartens me somewhat.
  4. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 10:351 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    I have noticed this phenomenon too and I have to say that since Darfius has been active for only a couple of months in these forums and has recieved 80-something votes I decided to look through his back catalogue of rec'd posts and see wh ...[text shortened]... m given out for posts like the ones above disheartens me somewhat.

A good idea would be, in my view, to display or make available in some way the debaters's handles who gave a particular post a rec.

That would certainly make them think twice !!

5. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 10:39
    Perhaps if we had an indication of how many rec's a person has awarded.
    Then we could see a ratio of recs received/given.
  6. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 15:20
    Originally posted by Redmike
    Perhaps if we had an indication of how many rec's a person has awarded.
    Then we could see a ratio of recs received/given.
    Yeah it could be like a Debt/Asset ratio that loan officers use to determine who gets loans at what rates.
  7. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 15:25
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Cry me a river; why not suggest a rule to forbid Christians from
    giving recs unless it is in the spiritual forum, only non-Christians
    can give recs outside of the spiritual forum.
    Kelly
    KellyJay, that wouldn't be fair. I don't believe in descriminating based on superstition. Look over Starrman's list of Darfius' posts. Don't you think some of them really deserve an Amen and not a Rec?

8. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 15:50
    Originally posted by telerion
    KellyJay, that wouldn't be fair. I don't believe in descriminating based on superstition. Look over Starrman's list of Darfius' posts. Don't you think some of them really deserve an Amen and not a Rec?

Would everyone please look at becker's "A few questions for non-believers" thread and lavish in the hypocrisy?

If people are feeling threatened by my Rec count, feel free to have them erased. I could care less.
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    08 Mar '05 16:03
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Would everyone please look at becker's "A few questions for non-believers" thread and lavish in the hypocrisy?

If people are feeling threatened by my Rec count, feel free to have them erased. I could care less.
    There's no hypocrisy there, I would say the same to people who gave me recs as I would to those that gave you recs. Did you actually read my post? It was aimed at everyone, not just you and/or me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree