1. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 17:051 edit
    But of course, this thread isn't really about that. This thread is about
    what makes people dip their noses in other peoples affairs, right? Why
    must we atheists (agnostics or whatever we are) come in here and
    "destroy" your threads with what you consider unbelievable nonsense?

I think it's important in any place (especially in an organisation such as a
    religious grouping) to get as many point of views as possible in there.
    This will help prevent that some of the weaker minded (no apologies) will
    be trapped in a world they may not like but can't break free from. By
    knowing that there are others out there who question this or that belief,
    it's easier to be a bit more critical (both to self and community) and
    change things. Whether that's a good or bad thing is of course a very
    individual question, but mostly I think it's good as it keeps truly crazy
    ideas from getting a grip on a larger community. There's a reason sects
    are isolated and kept from public view. Because the leaders would no
    doubt lose control over their followers if people from the outside with
    different experiences in life will be allowed to speak their mind; tell their
    story.

God stompers, are merely people with a different view on the
    supernatural. Some of us don't believe it at all, and some of us believe
    it's very different from the description in this or that scripture. I can only
    speak for me, and I'm not out to necessarily destroy other people's
    faith, but to give my angle and why I believe it to be true. Everyone else
    makes up their own mind, as I will no doubt change mine over time.
  2. Joined
    09 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 19:51
    I think its agreat idea that they removed spirituality from the debate section. Such a personal adventure as spirituality cannot be argued over for points and victory. It is a path tread uniquely by each individual and that through sharing our commonalities and accepting our differences, we all come toa greater understanding of spirituality, and our fellow mankind as a whole.

Its a shame so many people arent agnostic and try to 'prove' their religion to people, but thats everywhere... Why not online? Even adults can be childish in their adherence to 'what works' for them. Even logical, calculating scientific minds can be emotionally and spiritualy unfulfilled and as such, just as likely as anyone else to group think in whatever religious affiliation seems to fit them best, be it the largest in the area or the most catering to their unique spirituality. Tis a shame, but tis life.

The difficulty is in propogating your own beliefs in an open and honest format so that others can see how it has benefitted you, and perhaps be drawn along a similar path. Hopefully for the right reasons, and not because you are 'dreamy' when you talk about spirituality. It makes for great converting, but I dont want to just convert people over to my religion, or even into a certain frame of thinking. I want to evolve people, both mentally and physically where needed, into dynamic, free thinking, self actualized Improvisors in the drama we call life. I dont want people reading from a religious script unless it helps them to come to a greater understanding of the world. I dont want them endlessly memorizing hymms that wont help them in their times of distress.. I want to help people think on their feet, adapting to whatever comes their way... For me, achieving that required me to understand buddhist concepts and integrate them into my Catholic background. Is it perfect? I wouldnt say so, but Is anything else? It did the job for me, and in doing so, drew me closer to the universe. Im more in touch, and care more about my surroundings than ever before. Enviromentalism has never been more important to me... But thats neither here nor there. The fact is that my religious/spiritual evolution wont work for everyone. FOr many, catholocism will give them the insights + strengths needed to help them become caring people. For others, buddhism will give them that. But for the vast bulk of people out there, they need to integrate Many teachings, insights, and doctrines into their own format before anything begins to honestly work for them. And thats what I want for our democratic world... Individuals treading their own paths to spiritual freedom. Not Everyone on their own predesigned path to priest/imam-hood
  3. Joined
    23 Aug '06
    Moves
    21 Jan '07 00:09
    As Shakesphere once said...
    Our remedies oft in ourselves do lie, which we ascribe to Heaven.
  4. Standard memberAcemaster
    Checkmate 2 U!
    Checkmating you!
    Moves
    23 Jan '07 08:50
    Originally posted by stocken
    [b]But of course, this thread isn't really about that. This thread is about
    what makes people dip their noses in other peoples affairs, right? Why
    must we atheists (agnostics or whatever we are) come in here and
    "destroy" your threads with what you consider unbelievable nonsense?
    I like what you said. I love a good debate, but only if people are civilized. One guy who really got on my nerves went to prove that all Christians are insane. Not backing his statements or his beliefs with facts, he rentlessly attacked every Christian who posted there. It eventually got annoying to read as he took every post and used it as proof of insanity. Don't get me wrong, its' isn't just agnostics. I said this to a Christian who attacked an athiest by using his horrid backround. Why must anyone destroy threads by doing attacking?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree