1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    02 Nov '08 13:001 edit
    I'm an atheist, but sometimes I meditate while visualizing a god in order to get my mind in the place it needs to be. My first god was Mercury, the Latin god of commerce, because money and work were the most important things to me. But not Mercury has come through for me and I have enough money...for now anyway.

Now I need a god to bring me inner peace, (nonsexual) love, joy, brotherhood with mankind and all that. So sometimes I "talk to Jesus". Yes, even I...although deep down I know it's not real.

Venus doesn't seem to be the kind of god I need. Buddhism looks very interesting, but doesn't have an associated god.

Which gods are good for social skills, bonding, affection, peaceful strength and all that stuff?
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    02 Nov '08 14:41
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung

Which gods are good for social skills, bonding, affection, peaceful strength and all that stuff?
    Big Gay Al
  3. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    02 Nov '08 14:46
    I'm an atheist, but sometimes I meditate while visualizing a god in order to get my mind in the place it needs to be. My first god was Mercury, the Latin god of commerce, because money and work were the most important things to me. But not Mercury has come through for me and I have enough money...for now anyway.

Now I need a god to bring me inner ...[text shortened]... gods are good for social skills, bonding, affection, peaceful strength and all that stuff?

There is only one God. And you said you already talk to Him. You should ask yourself why, since you say you really don't believe in Him.
    Good luck in finding the answer.
  4. Joined
    05 Aug '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '08 15:13

Now I need a god to bring me inner ...[text shortened]... gods are good for social skills, bonding, affection, peaceful strength and all that stuff?
    Krishna might not be bad. You might try some aspects of Jove and Hera in their more loving and--ahem--jovial modes.
  5. Joined
    05 Aug '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '08 15:15

Hestia, too.

Sorry my suggestions are mostly Greek...those are the gods I know best. Besides that One God from the monotheist religions--but he's not that great of a guy, in general.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 03:07
    [b]I'm an atheist, but sometimes I meditate while visualizing a god in order to get my mind in the place it needs to be. My first god was Mercury, the Latin god of commerce, because money and work were the most important things to me.
    Why not meditate on Warren Buffet?
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 03:40
    Krishna
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Nov '08 03:481 edit
    Originally posted by convect
    Krishna might not be bad. You might try some aspects of Jove and Hera in their more loving and--ahem--jovial modes.
    What about Apollo? He could really turn on the charm.

The beneficent aspects of Odin should also do the trick. Of course that's almost the same as recommending Jove, but I could relate to Odin better than his Greek colleague, despite their having practically identical functions.

For another sort of charm, Loki would be interesting.

But for 'brotherhood with mankind' I'd go with Thor. A good version of Thor is Destruction, from the Sandman graphic novel series.
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    08 Nov '08 15:18
    Originally posted by KingDavid403
    [b]Which gods are good for social skills, bonding, affection, peaceful strength and all that stuff?

There is only one God. And you said you already talk to Him. You should ask yourself why, since you say you really don't believe in Him.
    Good luck in finding the answer.[/b]
    Because it gives me an image with many associations to focus my meditation on.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    08 Nov '08 15:19
    Originally posted by whodey
    Why not meditate on Warren Buffet?
    Warren Buffet is THE MAN!
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    08 Nov '08 15:261 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    What about Apollo? He could really turn on the charm.

The beneficent aspects of Odin should also do the trick. Of course that's almost the same as recommending Jove, but I could relate to Odin better than his Greek colleague, despite their having practically identical functions.

For another sort of charm, Loki would be interesting.

But for 'br go with Thor. A good version of Thor is Destruction, from the Sandman graphic novel series.
    I am a blue eyed, fair skinned man who speaks Standard American English working with mostly Black students in South Central Los Angeles. I do not want to meditate to the God of violent white people who raid and pillage. There are quite a few white supremacists who are into Thor. No.

If I started meditating to Thor I'd probably end up smiting gangsters with "thunder in my shoulder" - a rifle.
  12. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Nov '08 15:35
    I am a blue eyed, fair skinned man who speaks Standard American English working with mostly Black students in South Central Los Angeles. I do not want to meditate to the God of violent white people who raid and pillage. There are quite a few white supremacists who are into Thor. No.

If I started meditating to Thor I'd probably end up smiting gangsters with "thunder in my shoulder" - a rifle.
    You don't understand Thor. Which is probably a good reason not to meditate on him.

Go for Krishna 🙂
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Nov '08 17:43

"I am a blue eyed, fair skinned man who speaks Standard American English working with mostly Black students in South Central Los Angeles."

I don't believe you. I think you're nobody just like me. 😳
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Nov '08 17:49
    There is only one God.
    No, there are many. The bible says so.
  15. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    08 Nov '08 19:034 edits
    [b]Which gods are good for social skills, bonding, affection, peaceful strength and all that stuff?

Good luck in finding the answer.[/b]
    …...There is only one God.....…

You just say that as if it was fact but it isn’t fact because it is based on faith rather than either reason or observation.

How do you know there are neither many gods nor no gods rather than just one god? -if the answer is that the Bible “says so” then you are using faith that everything that is written in the Bable MUST be correct.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree