1. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 19:391 edit
    - Read some (or, for better understanding, all of it) of this sermon: http://edwards.yale.edu/images/pdf/sinners.pdf

- The big questions based on that sermon: Is Edward's tone still seen in modern attitudes?

Is man good or evil
    Is God loving or harsh and strict / merciless

To let you know, this sermon caused The Great Awakening - the revival of religious zeal in N. America. If you are looking for a powerful sermon, read that (SINNERS IN THE HANDS OF AN ANGRY GOD)

Note: Page 7-10 on that sermon exhibit the meat of the sermon. If you read that, you'll get a clear understanding. pp 2 - 7 are also very strong since it includes his opening.
  2. Diverse City
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 22:50
    Originally posted by Ramned
    - Read some (or, for better understanding, all of it) of this sermon: http://edwards.yale.edu/images/pdf/sinners.pdf

- The big questions based on that sermon: [b]Is Edward's tone still seen in modern attitudes?

Is man good or evil
    Is God loving or harsh and strict / merciless

To let you know, this sermon caused The Great Awakening ...[text shortened]... you'll get a clear understanding. pp 2 - 7 are also very strong since it includes his opening.[/b]
    Thats your choice to sin and reject him. I am a christian and you should just accept him.
  3. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 23:00
    Originally posted by Sargent Carpface
    Thats your choice to sin and reject him. I am a christian and you should just accept him.
    Don't ever 'just accept' anything.
    I'm an atheist but I know enough about most faiths to understand that faith requires constant effort - which includes questions, criticism and doubt.
    Some people seem to see doubt as weakness in one's faith.
    It isn't - it's a healthy part of our struggle to understand the world.
    Keep your christian faith but don't 'accept' it - you've got to work for it ...
  4. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    18 Sep '07 23:59
    Originally posted by Sargent Carpface
    No.

1. This does not reflect my opinion.
    2. You did not read it properly. It points that you must ACCEPT and vividly live to the Bible. Work, work, work. Appease to God through doing good work.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 10:39
    Originally posted by amannion
    Don't ever 'just accept' anything.
    I'm an atheist but I know enough about most faiths to understand that faith requires constant effort - which includes questions, criticism and doubt.
    Some people seem to see doubt as weakness in one's faith.
    It isn't - it's a healthy part of our struggle to understand the world.
    Keep your christian faith but don't 'accept' it - you've got to work for it ...
    OK. So don't ever accept anything except........atheism. Gotcha!!
  6. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '07 12:00
    Originally posted by whodey
    OK. So don't ever accept anything except........atheism. Gotcha!!
    He didn't say anything of the sort. Nor imply it as far as I can see. Where is the implication that you should just accept atheism? He said you should not 'just accept' anything. There are no exceptions to that.

--- Penguin.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree