God's word is too liberal?

God's word is too liberal?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

Moves
06 Oct 09

http://conservapedia.com/Conservative_Bible_Project

There's apparently a move by this group to try and edit the bible to remove it's evil liberal bias.

Now, is god's word too liberal?

Is it right to be editing god's infallible word because you think it doesn't fit what you think it should?

W
Angler

River City

Moves
06 Oct 09

Originally posted by PsychoPawn

There's apparently a move by this group to try and edit the bible to remove it's evil liberal bias.

Is it right to be editing god's infallible word because you think it doesn't fit what you think it should?
Seemed that site was shut down earlier today because of too much traffic after DailyKos ran teh story.

Moves
06 Oct 09

Every reader is an editor.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
06 Oct 09

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Seemed that site was shut down earlier today because of too much traffic after DailyKos ran teh story.
Or was it god who smote them?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
06 Oct 09

The article reads almost like a Steven Colbert episode. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

P

Moves
06 Oct 09

Originally posted by rwingett
The article reads almost like a Steven Colbert episode. It would be funny if it weren't so pathetic.
The whole site pretty much reads like a Steven Colbert episode or an Onion article.

Z

Moves
06 Oct 09

that would be like some chinese doodz trying to clean mao's little red book of all the capitalist crap.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Oct 09
1 edit

It does not seem to me that they are actually editing the Bible, but the translation. I do not see any issues there. Most biblical translators will make some modifications in their translation, such as to try to be more gender-inclusive. So when Jesus says 'brothers', the translator writes 'brothers and sisters'. Or when the Bible talks about 'mankind', the translator seeks a more gender-inclusive alternative. However, there are many biblical translators who candidly acknowledge more liberal aims, like substituting 'father' with 'parent'. I remember one recent Bible which repeatedly referred to God as 'her'. I wonder why you have not criticised this more obvious corruption.

F

Moves
06 Oct 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Conrau K
I remember one recent Bible which repeatedly referred to God as 'her'. I wonder why you have not criticised this more obvious corruption.
Doesn't using 'Her' now, at the very least, compensate for the rather presumptuous use of 'His' by people since centuries ago whose thinking was limited in certain ways. Surely 'It' would be the best compromise to avoid misleading gender specific language when talking about God?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
06 Oct 09
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Doesn't using 'Her' now, at the very least, compensate for the rather presumptuous use of 'His' by people since centuries ago whose thinking was limited in certain ways. Surely 'It' would be the best compromise to avoid misleading gender specific language when talking about God?
Many other learned people have come about this problem in the language before. The genderefecation of the language(s) has been historically mainly used to mans advantage. This is obvious. Timothy Leary was one who tried to rewrite some things . He would use terms like ''hir' to describe a non-gender specific entitity.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
06 Oct 09
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I am not worrying about what is the best translation. Perhaps the feminists have a point, perhaps they don't. I am just pointing out that conservatives are not the only ones to produce different translations. Obviously liturgists will want to modify the Scripture to create a more poetic effect appropriate to the liturgy. Feminists too will want produce a more gender-inclusive translation that acknowledges women more. Scripture scholars however may prefer on a word-for-word gloss, whether it is theologically acceptable or accommodating to women. The point is that there will always be multiple translations depending on the motivations and biases of the translator. This is not some phenomenon that happens exclusively with conservatives who want to further their political agenda.

s

England

Moves
06 Oct 09

maybe they would edit out some words they find uncomfortable, this shows they do not belive in the bible but use it to suit there agenda. which is against the law so god will be there judge.
Seems they forget the words "what ive written ive written " and it was from a non jew /christian

Moves
06 Oct 09

Study your own language and you'll realize that there is no such thing as an accurate translation. In my lifetime words have changed meanings. Still more so, if you read Shakespeare you will miss meanings that hide inside of common everyday words at a distance of 500 years. Imagine trying to decipher a language at a distance of 2500 years. Go one better and get the information second hand from some else who is liable to have their own agenda. Can you then be absolutely certain of anything that that text might contain? We hear what we want to hear.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
06 Oct 09

Originally posted by FMF
Not only using, but making it the only pronoun in the English language that folks think they need to capitalize. Anything that alters that egregious assault on language would be welcome.

P

Moves
06 Oct 09

Originally posted by Conrau K
It does not seem to me that they are actually editing the Bible, but the translation. I do not see any issues there. Most biblical translators will make some modifications in their translation, such as to try to be more gender-inclusive. So when Jesus says 'brothers', the translator writes 'brothers and sisters'. Or when the Bible talks about 'mankind', the ...[text shortened]... to God as 'her'. I wonder why you have not criticised this more obvious corruption.
They specifically talk about changing words just to fit their own political agenda.

Translations aren't perfect, but they aren't trying to do a more accurate translation - they are specifically going through and saying anything that is translated as being "liberal".

They also talk about changing the translation to push "free market principles"... is that god's word?

This isn't just about creating your own translation of the bible. Hell, write your own bible if you want - L Ron Hubbard did. The point is that people say this is the inerrant word of god yet they are changing the bible to fit modern political beliefs.