1. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Jun '10 04:48
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    oh, so a person can regularly do bad things and be still called a good person?
    The meaning of 'good person' in the OP is 'a person whose intentions are good'.

what about a good atheist? can a good atheist do bad things? if yes, how can your claim stand?
    As I said, it is not only good religious people who do bad things but generally good people who do things religiously - this does include atheists. If I was taught from a young age that our tradition is to do x and x is morally wrong, I may turn a blind eye to the immorality of x or even think it is moral because of tradition, but you would not necessarily call me a bad person for doing so.
    If you visited South Africa, and interviewed all the white people who lived here during apartheid and in some way supported the apartheid system, you would probably call many of them 'good people'.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Jun '10 06:181 edit
    Of course, I can't speak for everyone but as far as myself is concerned, Christ has made me a better person. In fact, what do we make of Christ? Is he good or bad?
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Jun '10 06:59
    Originally posted by whodey
    Of course, I can't speak for everyone but as far as myself is concerned, Christ has made me a better person. In fact, what do we make of Christ? Is he good or bad?
    Let me take a wild stab: (Christians claim)Christ is born good and lives a good life and dies good while someone like the bhudda is born with karma(bad), lives a life of self determination,(good, I suppose), and dies good.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Jun '10 07:26
    The OP does not claim that religion makes all good people do bad things. Not at all.
    It claims rather that in order for (some) good people to do bad things, you need religion.
    Certainly it cannot be denied that religion does in some cases cause good people to do bad things. The only question then is whether the claim that 'it takes religion' to cause this is justified. In other words, is religion just one of many things that causes good people to do bad things, or is it unique (or unusual) in this respect.
    I could say making money is easy, but making lots of money - that takes hard work!.
    Of course there are ways to make money that don't take hard work, but my above statement still makes sense and is justified.
  5. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    08 Jun '10 17:49
    Surely nobody doubts that there are many things that can cause otherwise 'good' people to do 'bad' stuff?
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 Jun '10 14:15
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Surely nobody doubts that there are many things that can cause otherwise 'good' people to do 'bad' stuff?
    Like temptation?
    Kelly
  7. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    09 Jun '10 20:03
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Like temptation?
    Kelly
    Sure. Or lust or envy etc. Or maybe just a sincere desire to force one's moral viewpoint on others, with the very best of intentions.
  8. Maryland
    Moves
    09 Jun '10 21:10
    I disagree. You made yourself a better person.(If you are indeed a better person).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree