1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 00:17
    Originally posted by OdBod
    No, it is genuine charity, the gift still costs the individual or organisation 80% of the overall amount but the government contributes 20% by way of a reduced tax bill. In order to become a "registered" charity you simply must show that you are a genuine charity, this is to avoid scams. I'm surprised the US hasn't a similar non political system( especially as it is far more religious than the UK).
    The US has similar systems at both federal and state levels.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/170
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 02:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    There may be tax benefits and there may be good publicity ~ and you may approve or disapprove of the motivation ~ but it's still charity if it is an activity or grant that benefits the public at large by providing help to the needy, deprived or suffering to which they do not have some legally binding entitlement.
    Jesus once watched people giving to charity and noted that a woman who was poor put in more than everyone else despite the fact she gave the least.

God looks at our hearts, not how much we give and definitely looks at why we are giving.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 02:542 edits
    According to the Bible contributing factors to God's anger with Sodom was her neglect to help the poor and needy in that society.

Ezekiel 16:49,50 -
    "Indeed this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: pride, abundance of bread, and careless ease were with her and her daughters, but she did not strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.

And they were haughty and committed abominations before Me. Therefore I took them away when I saw it."
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 03:20
    Originally posted by JS357
    So you are do not need them to have worked for it as you said you did. Fine, just curious.
    If it is yours it is yours!
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 03:22
    Originally posted by OdBod
    No, it is genuine charity, the gift still costs the individual or organisation 80% of the overall amount but the government contributes 20% by way of a reduced tax bill. In order to become a "registered" charity you simply must show that you are a genuine charity, this is to avoid scams. I'm surprised the US hasn't a similar non political system( especially as it is far more religious than the UK).
    The government not taking money is not the government giving it, it is
    your money.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 05:19
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    The government not taking money is not the government giving it, it is
    your money.
    Do you oppose the government granting tax breaks to charities?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 05:25
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    If it is yours it is yours!
    Surely money paid in taxes belongs to the whole of the society and is handled and spent, on behalf of society, by the society's elected representatives by way of its governmental institutions?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '15 05:28
    Originally posted by whodey
    Jesus once watched people giving to charity and noted that a woman who was poor put in more than everyone else despite the fact she gave the least.

God looks at our hearts, not how much we give and definitely looks at why we are giving.
    Be that as it may, but there is individual charity, corporate charity and government charity ~ and the definition of charity is not dependent on what any given religious figure purportedly thinks of it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree