1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Joined
    31 Jul '01
    Moves
    91452
    24 May '06 20:01
    It is graduation time. Here in Kentucky, a traditionally conservative state, there have been a rash of students (just a couple) who have objected to prayers at the graduation ceremony and have had the backing of the ACLU. The schools have willingly complied, but all are not happy.

    The student body at Russell County Highschool booed the student who was perceived as objecting to it at the graduation rehearsal. They also broke out in reciting the Lord's prayer. Rev Lawless (no I didn't make this name up) was furious about the decision and organized protests.

    Several questions:
    How would the students and parents feel if a Muslim or Buddhist recited their prayers? Would that be acceptable?

    Did the students show Christian charity as they booed this student?

    Finally, if I went to a sectarian school such as Duke University where they will pray at graduation, would it be worth the $173,000 for a 4 year degree?
  2. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Joined
    13 Dec '04
    Moves
    49088
    24 May '06 20:576 edits
    Originally posted by kirksey957

    Did the students show Christian charity as they booed this student?
    No, they just embarrassed themselves like a bunch of pharisees.

    Political demonstration is not the purpose of prayer. They showed no more reverence of the Lord's Prayer than the student they were praying at did. They reduced its status to that of a football cheer.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    24 May '06 21:51
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Several questions:
    How would the students and parents feel if a Muslim or Buddhist recited their prayers? Would that be acceptable?

    Finally, if I went to a sectarian school such as Duke University where they will pray at graduation, would it be worth the $173,000 for a 4 year degree?
    *There could be an inter-faith prayer session for all to pray at once. The noise would chase away any bad luck demons.

    *Good heavens. those fees are outrageous. You should apply to a foreign university! You could do a four-year stint at the University of Cape Town for around $15000...
  4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Joined
    31 Jul '01
    Moves
    91452
    24 May '06 22:01
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    *There could be an inter-faith prayer session for all to pray at once. The noise would chase away any bad luck demons.

    *Good heavens. those fees are outrageous. You should apply to a foreign university! You could do a four-year stint at the University of Cape Town for around $15000...
    But do they have strippers?
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Joined
    27 Jan '05
    Moves
    83887
    24 May '06 22:04
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    But do they have strippers?
    Chief Kirksey, if you mean strippers on campus, then sadly not. Strippers are plentiful in the city though and cheap.
  6. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Joined
    31 Jul '01
    Moves
    91452
    24 May '06 22:10
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Chief Kirksey, if you mean strippers on campus, then sadly not. Strippers are plentiful in the city though and cheap.
    They solved that problem at Duke University. They go hire strippers who are students at the poor college in town (North Carolina Central) and help put them through school.
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Joined
    17 Apr '02
    Moves
    91685
    24 May '06 22:22
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    They solved that problem at Duke University. They go hire strippers who are students at the poor college in town (North Carolina Central) and help put them through school.
    So they are involved in charity work? This brings a glow to my heart.
  8. London
    Joined
    02 Mar '04
    Moves
    36068
    26 May '06 15:01
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    It is graduation time. Here in Kentucky, a traditionally conservative state, there have been a rash of students (just a couple) who have objected to prayers at the graduation ceremony and have had the backing of the ACLU. The schools have willingly complied, but all are not happy.

    The student body at Russell County Highschool booed the student who wa ...[text shortened]... ersity where they will pray at graduation, would it be worth the $173,000 for a 4 year degree?
    First a counter-question, then I'll take a stab at your ones.

    Was there anything explicitly Christian about the prayers that were normally recited at graduation prior to this year?

    To answer your questions:

    1. Maybe, maybe not. I don't know enough about the residents of Kentucky to answer that question.

    2. I would think not.

    3. Is a degree anywhere worth that kind of money?
  9. An' it harms none...
    Joined
    15 Sep '04
    Moves
    12328
    26 May '06 15:17
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    It is graduation time. Here in Kentucky, a traditionally conservative state, there have been a rash of students (just a couple) who have objected to prayers at the graduation ceremony and have had the backing of the ACLU. The schools have willingly complied, but all are not happy.

    The student body at Russell County Highschool booed the student who wa ...[text shortened]... ersity where they will pray at graduation, would it be worth the $173,000 for a 4 year degree?
    It's sad isn't it when people feel the need to inflict their values and religion (or lack of) on others.

    I saw a thing a while ago where a school tried to ban some pagans from wearing our symbols. It ended up that they were allowed to keep wearing them becuase of the laws there (freedom of religion) means Christians would have to stop wearing their crosses as well.

    The people who stopped the praying, whatever religion, should be ashamed of themselves.
  10. The sky
    Joined
    05 Apr '05
    Moves
    10385
    26 May '06 15:41
    Originally posted by dags
    It's sad isn't it when people feel the need to inflict their values and religion (or lack of) on others.

    I saw a thing a while ago where a school tried to ban some pagans from wearing our symbols. It ended up that they were allowed to keep wearing them becuase of the laws there (freedom of religion) means Christians would have to stop wearing their crosses a ...[text shortened]... ll.

    The people who stopped the praying, whatever religion, should be ashamed of themselves.
    I see a huge difference between wearing religious symbols and making prayer an official part of a graduation ceremony. In the first case, an individual expresses xyr religious beliefs, which in my opinion everybody should be allowed to do. In the second case, a religious ritual is forced on everybody participating in a non-religious ceremony.
  11. An' it harms none...
    Joined
    15 Sep '04
    Moves
    12328
    26 May '06 15:55
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I see a huge difference between wearing religious symbols and making prayer an official part of a graduation ceremony. In the first case, an individual expresses xyr religious beliefs, which in my opinion everybody should be allowed to do. In the second case, a religious ritual is forced on everybody participating in a non-religious ceremony.
    Fair point.

    But I still think that they could have just not joined in with the prayer or excused themselves for that part of the graduation. To me part of religion is tolerance but I do understand what you mean.
Back to Top