1. Nashua, NH
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 07:50
    This is not typed using proper grammar so please forgive me. When using pronouns, refering to God or Jesus or another higher spiritual being, is it always appropriate to capitolize these pronouns even if they fall in the middle or end of the sentence. I ask this because I wrote a paper on my personal growth and made several reference to God as He throughout the paper always capitolizing He. Is this proper or just a matter of preference. I want to be reverent but still use proper grammar, does anyone know the actual rule. Thanks. Again sorry for the spelling and grammar its 2:41 am here.
  2. CA, USA
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 08:31
    Originally posted by DestinyRestored
    This is not typed using proper grammar so please forgive me. When using pronouns, refering to God or Jesus or another higher spiritual being, is it always appropriate to capitolize these pronouns even if they fall in the middle or end of the sentence. I ask this because I wrote a paper on my personal growth and made several reference to God as He thr ...[text shortened]... anyone know the actual rule. Thanks. Again sorry for the spelling and grammar its 2:41 am here.
    IMO, yes, it's proper.

The real question is, what does your teacher teach?
    That's how you'll be graded.

You have to fit your paper to your audience.
    You may be right, but if your teacher is an atheist I wouldn't mention God at all, i'd wriite about "N"ature as if it were "g"od.
  3. Nashua, NH
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 09:07
    Originally posted by jammer
    IMO, yes, it's proper.

You may be right, but if your teacher is an atheist I wouldn't mention God at all, i'd wriite about "N"ature as if it were "g"od.
    im more interested in what is correct and not necessarily what my teacher teaches. grades don't concern me only understanding and knowledge.
  4. CA, USA
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 09:24
    im more interested in what is correct and not necessarily what my teacher teaches. grades don't concern me only understanding and knowledge.
    In that case, "correct" according to who?

If you "understand" yourself and believe in your own "knowledge" the answer (I assume) would be YES caps are proper in this case.

If you doubt your "knowledge" and just don't "understand" the question, then you'd ask me what was "correct" for you.

dee deedee
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jan '07 09:24
    This is not typed using proper grammar so please forgive me. When using pronouns, refering to God or Jesus or another higher spiritual being, is it always appropriate to capitolize these pronouns even if they fall in the middle or end of the sentence. I ask this because I wrote a paper on my personal growth and made several reference to God as He thr ...[text shortened]... anyone know the actual rule. Thanks. Again sorry for the spelling and grammar its 2:41 am here.
    It is only correct grammar if you are using He as a proper name or as a substitute for one. For example in the phrase "the Great Him".
    However to say "Jesus went to Galilee then He went to Bethlehem." would be incorrect unless you expect your reader to know that He refers to God or Jesus without deducing it from the context of the sentence. eg if "James went to Galilee then He went to Bethlehem." would indicate to the reader that
    1. James went to Galilee
    2. Jesus went to Bethlehem.
    then the use of the capital would be OK.

Of course there are several people on this site who would quite happily type any sentence containing the word God in capitals only.
  6. Standard memberAcemaster
    Checkmate 2 U!
    Checkmating you!
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 10:18
    "God is Almighty. He is the Creator and He redeems us of our sins. We are nothing without Him."

The statement above would be written properly. Capitalizing any thing that refers to God (He, Him, Almighty, Creator) would be correct.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 10:41
    Originally posted by Acemaster
    "God is Almighty. He is the Creator and He redeems us of our sins. We are nothing without Him."

The statement above would be written properly. Capitalizing any thing that refers to God (He, Him, Almighty, Creator) would be correct.
    But not grammatically correct.
  8. Standard memberAcemaster
    Checkmate 2 U!
    Checkmating you!
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 11:11
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    But [b]not grammatically correct.[/b]
    Why? Did I spell something wrong?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 11:32
    Originally posted by Acemaster
    Why? Did I spell something wrong?
    The truth is that grammar does not have specific definite far reaching rules. It is all about tradition. If enough people do something then it is OK.
    Luckily there is really nothing wrong with me using a capital whenever I refer to Myself. If I can persuade enough people to do it then it will become more and more correct!
    Of course many people think that the use of small letters could be insulting and thus use capitals when referring to God and sometimes go to the extreme of leaving that CAPS LOCK ON.
  10. London
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 11:32
    Yes.
  11. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '07 19:31
    Personally, I just correct the spelling. "My dog is named Jesus." is generally considered OK.
  12. Joined
    24 Jun '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 19:54
    IMO, yes, it's proper.

If a teacher lets their religious beliefs influence how they grade an assignment they shouldn´t be a teacher.
  13. CA, USA
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 20:07
    Originally posted by nige22
    If a teacher lets their religious beliefs influence how they grade an assignment they shouldn´t be a teacher.
    Depends of the school they teach in.

In many you'd lose points for failing to capitalize the word Teacher.

Many teachers ARE God, in there own minds .. just ask one.
  14. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 21:31

Much as many of us humans would like to think of ourselves as a god, teachers do not think or act any differently from anyone else ...
  15. Standard memberreader1107
    petting the cat
    On Clique Beach
    Moves
    31 Jan '07 00:54

Are you expecting extra credit for making an idiotic generalization that's also remarkably inaccurate?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree