1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Jul '13 14:22
    http://www.rationalresponders.com/

Check out the 12 Mythology stories of Jesus scroll down a bit on the main page!
  2. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    26 Jul '13 17:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse

Thanks. Here as a discussion on the Jesus as myth question started by Palynka on here a good time back:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=124226&page=&page=1

I took mostly the counter-view (arguing that such a historical personage likely did exist), but had to recognize Palynka’s point that perhaps we (and even scholars with no particular religious axe to grind) erroneously assume a greater likelihood for the conventional view simply because it is the conventional view. I do not think that the “12 Myths” on the site that you offered are as decisive as the writer seems to think; nor did I think that the “midrashic” argument in the materials that Palynka cited are decisive. I think the question remains open.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jul '13 19:05
    Richard Dawkins tells Atheists to Mock Religion with Contempt - And Ravi Zacharias comments.

YouTube
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '13 20:21
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Thanks. Here as a discussion on the Jesus as myth question started by Palynka on here a good time back:

I took mostly the counter-view (arguing that such a historical personage likely did exist), but had to recognize Palynka’s point that perhaps we (and even scholars with no p ...[text shortened]... ” argument in the materials that Palynka cited are decisive. I think the question remains open.
    We can start with say George Washington. Did the GW who chopped down the cherry tree and then said "I cannot tell a lie" exist? Does the written biography of any person accurately match the person supposedly depicted? It's not likely.

So why bother with that? Take the important facts of the person's existence, and leave the rest aside. In the case of most people, there are few if any facts that are important except perhaps to a few who are affected. Clearly, there are people who think there are universally and infinitely important facts about Jesus. Leave it to these people to make their point about these facts, and let the other supposed facts be what they are.
  5. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    26 Jul '13 21:271 edit

The Rational Response Squad
    A place for activist atheists to unite

I am wondering what your point might be?
  6. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    26 Jul '13 22:22
    Originally posted by JS357
    We can start with say George Washington. Did the GW who chopped down the cherry tree and then said "I cannot tell a lie" exist? Does the written biography of any person accurately match the person supposedly depicted? It's not likely.

So why bother with that? Take the important facts of the person's existence, and leave the rest aside. In the case of most p ...[text shortened]... le to make their point about these facts, and let the other supposed facts be what they are.

Yeah, that was part of my argument on the other thread: a story (or myth or midrash) can include some facts, without it being a wholly (or even mostly) factual account. By the same token, one cannot assume that because a story is partly (or even mostly) mythological, that there can be no factual content at all. Story, myth and midrash are really literary terms: “this is the type of literature this is . . . “. History is something else. But there seem to be mixed forms, and then—as in your GW example—the exegetical task is to separate the different elements, insofar as possible.

How are you doing, by the way? Well, I hope.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Jul '13 22:41
    [b]We can start with say George Washington. Did the GW who chopped down the cherry tree and then said "I cannot tell a lie" exist? Does the written biography of any person accurately match the person supposedly depicted? It's not likely.

Yeah, that was part of my argument on the other thread: a story (or myth or midrash) can include some facts, witho ...[text shortened]... the different elements, insofar as possible.

How are you doing, by the way? Well, I hope.[/b]
    Thanks for asking. After being poked and prodded every which way, I am certified to be of sound body. The mind has always been suspect. 🙂
  8. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    26 Jul '13 22:54
    Originally posted by JS357
    Thanks for asking. After being poked and prodded every which way, I am certified to be of sound body. The mind has always been suspect. 🙂
    The mind has always been suspect. 🙂

Now you tell me! 😉
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jul '13 00:25
    [b]The mind has always been suspect. 🙂

Now you tell me! 😉[/b]
    You know our motto here in camp? Clean mind, clean body.

Take your pick.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '13 00:54
    You know our motto here in camp? Clean mind, clean body.

Take your pick.
    I'll take clean body for 600, Alex.
  11. Standard memberempovsun
    Adepto 'er perfectu
    Moves
    27 Jul '13 01:27

the forums are kinda dead
    nothing i haven't seen before, when it comes to "activism"

whatever that means lol
    i recall the old AN trying to do some sort of "atheist activism"
    which i thought, at the time, "good for them" but it never really launched
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jul '13 02:41

I took mostly the counter-view (arguing that such a historical personage likely did exist), but had to recognize Palynka’s point that perhaps we (and even scholars with no p ...[text shortened]... ” argument in the materials that Palynka cited are decisive. I think the question remains open.
    Killjoy. Can't you let athiests have their fun? 😛
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jul '13 02:54
    Originally posted by whodey
    Killjoy. Can't you let athiests have their fun? 😛
    Yes, let's all pray for the success of atheism!
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Jul '13 05:30
    Sure, you pray and see were it gets you. 😀

The Instructor
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '13 15:18
    So now atheism is a movement?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree