1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 16:35
    How many religious groups fall under the spell of group think. My religion is the best religion there is, and the leader of my religion is the greatest spiritual leader of all time. It seems to me that most if not all religious groups have this mind set. At one time I was involved with the Transcendental Meditation movement, and they also told us we were the most evolved group of meditators in the universe. Of course I wanted to believe this. Who would not want to believe that their belief was the correct if not best belief ? We all have to protect ourself from falling victim to this kind of mind set. The idea that we have arrived at the Truth, and now we can relax with that realization is like getting caught in the mud and loving it.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 16:46
    Originally posted by buckky
    How many religious groups fall under the spell of group think. My religion is the best religion there is, and the leader of my religion is the greatest spiritual leader of all time. It seems to me that most if not all religious groups have this mind set. At one time I was involved with the Transcendental Meditation movement, and they also told us we were the ...[text shortened]... uth, and now we can relax with that realization is like getting caught in the mud and loving it.
    Jesus the Christ is the greatest spiritual leader of all time.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 16:48
    How many religious groups fall under the spell of group think. My religion is the best religion there is, and the leader of my religion is the greatest spiritual leader of all time. It seems to me that most if not all religious groups have this mind set. At one time I was involved with the Transcendental Meditation movement, and they also told us we were the ...[text shortened]... uth, and now we can relax with that realization is like getting caught in the mud and loving it.
    Why would anyone be involved with a religion if they didn't think it was best for them.
  4. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 17:22
    TM was a big thing in the west in the 60s when the youth there were searching for answers which had to be different than what were then the conventions-in belief systems,in the way life was meant to be lived etc. Vietnam war was out and drugs were in. Then Maharishi Mahesh was-I think-exposed as a fraud just like Osho(who was exposed much later). TM movement collapsed. But this TM was not a religion. It was not even a sect in Hinduism. It just claimed to be a new way of meditating. One cannot take it as a religion.
  5. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Aug '11 17:28
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    TM was a big thing in the west in the 60s when the youth there were searching for answers which had to be different than what were then the conventions-in belief systems,in the way life was meant to be lived etc. Vietnam war was out and drugs were in. Then Maharishi Mahesh was-I think-exposed as a fraud just like Osho(who was exposed much later). TM movem ...[text shortened]... ct in Hinduism. It just claimed to be a new way of meditating. One cannot take it as a religion.
    Exactly..
  6. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    29 Aug '11 01:38
    How many religious groups fall under the spell of group think.
    be weary, group think can influence all walks of life and span all manner of subjects.

one should not be taught what to believe, one should be taught how to think.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Aug '11 02:01
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    be weary, group think can influence all walks of life and span all manner of subjects.

one should not be taught what to believe, one should be taught how to think.
    You need to go back to school then.
  8. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    29 Aug '11 02:25
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You need to go back to school then.
    hehe. yah, preferably christian school, eh?
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    29 Aug '11 03:57
    And so "The Short Bus Think Tank" was born.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Aug '11 10:27
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    hehe. yah, preferably christian school, eh?
    You got it.
  11. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    29 Aug '11 11:08
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Jesus the Christ is the greatest spiritual leader of all time.
    See what I mean ?
  12. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    29 Aug '11 11:16
    Originally posted by divegeester
    [b]Why would anyone be involved with a religion if they didn't think it was best for them.[/b
    Thats right. No one wants to belong to a second rate religion. It reminds me of someone that thinks that a Chevy is the best car, and no other cars come close. Some think that their football team is the best team out there. It goes on, and on untill you start to think everybody is sort of nuts. I'm a white guy, and white guys are the best guys. I'm a Christian, and Christians are the best people, and all other religions are fake. It sort of makes one sick to think that humans are so small minded.
  13. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    29 Aug '11 11:22
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Why would anyone be involved with a religion if they didn't think it was best for them.
    Being the best for them is not the same as being the best overall. One could hold that their religion is not necessarily better than any other in any objective sense, but that, subjectively, it is the one that works best for them. One could hold that there are many valid paths toward "the truth", that they're free to choose the one that is most appropriate for their situation, and that others may justifiably choose a different one.
  14. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    29 Aug '11 11:24
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Being the best for them is not the same as being the best overall. One could hold that their religion is not necessarily better than any other in any objective sense, but that, subjectively, it is the one that works best for them. One could hold that there are many valid paths toward "the truth", that they're free to choose the one that is most appropriate for their situation, and that others may justifiably choose a different one.
    The voice of reason.
  15. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    29 Aug '11 12:35
    The voice of reason.
    In project management,a project is considered a success if it achieves a predefined aim. How do you define best religion overall ? I offer one definition based on a Vedic prayer. The religion which leads us from falsehood to truth,from darkness to light,from death to immortality could be that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree