H. P. Lovecraft

H. P. Lovecraft

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e

Moves
29 Mar 13
6 edits

I like all the discussion about evolution and god on this site! And the creationist views that come out.

I've said a few times i think scientology is 'irrefutable' the unkind might say irrefutably ridiculous but the thought that we are living in a 'space opera' can't be disproved. I read around on this a little and found this character - H. P. Lovecraft. I don't know to much just a few websites on him. But there is a spooky interesting train of thought here. He basically says(?) the universe is inhabited by aliens bordering on gods who are horrific beyond our comprehension, who just leave us be - maybe as a future snack.

People are keen to knock creationism as 'impossible' but 'possiblle' can be worse! in our solar system there's 1 life bearing planet, 2 more that might long ago and a water based moon- you could say 1/10 planets have that potential... and one produced a t-rex - near infinite universe, 1/1000?? planets bearing life, much more time on some, how big can a t-rex get???

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
29 Mar 13

Originally posted by e4chris
I like all the discussion about evolution and god on this site! And the creationist views that come out.

I've said a few times i think scientology is 'irrefutable' the unkind might say irrefutably ridiculous but the thought that we are living in a 'space opera' can't be disproved. I read around on this a little and found this character - H. P. Lovecraft ...[text shortened]... e, 1/1000?? planets bearing life, much more time on some, how big can a t-rex get???
You do know his stories are fiction, right?

I never read any of his stuff but had friends at Uni who did.
The same ones that played Dungeons & Dragons.

e

Moves
29 Mar 13
5 edits

Originally posted by wolfgang59
You do know his stories are fiction, right?

I never read any of his stuff but had friends at Uni who did.
The same ones that played Dungeons & Dragons.
We were arguing about the dodo in another thread... millions of years of evolution only to find itself .... tasty! that could be us! fiction or not??

pyramids? space ships? big bad aliens are quite possible!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Mar 13

We were arguing about the dodo in another thread... millions of years of evolution only to find itself .... tasty! that could be us! fiction or not??

All things are possible with God. However, God has only allowed certain things to be facts in reality. For example, evilution is not reality, but only the vain imaginations of men.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
29 Mar 13

I seem to recall reading that the Dodo wasn't actually all that tasty - they were just very, very easy to catch.

e

Moves
29 Mar 13
2 edits

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
I seem to recall reading that the Dodo wasn't actually all that tasty - they were just very, very easy to catch.
poor creatures!

but a question - If creationism is not true, what are the chances of the film alien vs predator being true? (maybe thats more for the science forum...)

I could argue actually quite high?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
29 Mar 13
1 edit

Koran 25:29 For Mankind, the enemy is Cthulhu.

Yog Sothoth = The Union of Set and Thoth

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
29 Mar 13

poor creatures!

but a question - If creationism is not true, what are the chances of the film alien vs predator being true? (maybe thats more for the science forum...)

In an infinite universe where all probabilities are played out then even the most unlikely scenarios will be true. Somewhere out there among the stars my five legged multi-tentacled alter ego has won the lottery. However, evolution isn't supposed to generate creatures that can apparently live off thin air as the critters in Alien etc. seem to be able to do.

Planet Rain

Moves
29 Mar 13

Originally posted by AThousandYoung

I had a feeling this thread would draw you out of the wood work. 😉

Anyway, I would say that Lovecraft's cosmology is at least as tenable as, say, the Book of Mormon or the unhinged ravings of L. Ron Hubbard.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
29 Mar 13

poor creatures!

My guess is that both are equally unlikely, but you never know I suppose.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
29 Mar 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
All things are possible with God. However, God has only allowed certain things to be facts in reality. For example, evilution is not reality, but only the vain imaginations of men.
Ron!

Give it a freaking rest, already!

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
29 Mar 13
2 edits

Originally posted by AThousandYoung

Try this out for size:

A BRIEF HISTORY:
Many centuries after the Old Gods were chained beneath the earth, a race known as the Sithilid began to appear in areas as remote as the Barrens. Intrepid adventurers eventually discovered the history behind the War of the Shifting Sands, and determined the best course of action would be to stop the impending invasion before it began.

With the aid of many allies, the leader of these heroes was able to reassemble the Scepter of the Shifting Sands, and, in a single resounding moment, forced the insects to begin the invasion into the waiting armies of Azeroth. Once the invasion was routed, these adventurers went into the ancient Temple of Ahn'Qiraj to discover, to their horror, the Old God C'thun lying in wait.

These agents of the Bronze Dragonflight were able to finally vanquish C'thun, but only about a year of rest was allowed before whispers of awakening pointed towards the revival of the Old God Yogg-Saron. Once the Northern Expedition (including the floating city of Dalaran) was successful in combating the servants of the Lich King in Naxxramas and in stopping the crazed antics of Malygos, leader of the Blue Dragonflight, they turned to the whispers of corruption and madness seeping from Ulduar.

Eventually, these adventurers discovered the corruption of Loken, and his treachery and lies leading to the enslavement of the Keepers of Ulduar, and the corruption of the various wardens of the Titans. With the aid of Brann Bronzebeard and the Kirin Tor, these heroes were able to break through the defenses of this Titan City into the prison of the Old God. After a titanic effort, and using the aid of the freed Keepers, the champions of the Kirin Tor were able to vanquish yet another Old God - this Beast of a Thousand Maws.

The agents of the Kirin Tor may have ended Yogg-Saron's reign of terror - but these same adventurers still have many challenges yet to prevent the destruction of the world.
--------

Can you guess who C'thun is supposed to be? What about Yogg-Saron?

100 bonus points if you can tell me what this "history" is talking about. It shouldn't be too hard, many clues abound.

e

Moves
30 Mar 13
2 edits

Originally posted by Kepler
In an infinite universe where all probabilities are played out then even the most unlikely scenarios will be true. Somewhere out there among the stars my five legged multi-tentacled alter ego has won the lottery. However, evolution isn't supposed to generate creatures that can apparently live off thin air as the critters in Alien etc. seem to be able to do.
if you think about whats plausible, i think maybe thats what lovecraft was doing perhaps for theatrical effect. then yes given t-rex you must have some fairly big aliens very far away, you need water rocks and time. But ... 'Somewhere out there among the stars my five legged multi-tentacled alter ego has won the lottery' 🙂 well in the plausible / possible line - no alternate universe just ours . the answer is yes but they haven't won the lottery! its funny having a demon duck argue they could not be tasty 🙂

as for wow well you never know maybe there are gods and monsters, ron hubbard is more funny tho. Its odd i look down on scientology a bit , its a myers briggs test from what i can see, but i do look up to his military career! he he sailed his ship up to an uninhabited island - blew it up - hey lets establish the guns work! and gets discharged for borderline insanity i think thats what happened? - that tactic could stop a lot of wars! And also when you see miltary scale i guess its quite easy to immagine space ships... but on lovecraft - cthulu its all quite possible you combine a very advanced life form, ai of a near infinite scale, the ability to manipulate physics. all quite possoble just hope there nice! and given the dodo, how much we appreciated it!

found this http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090703122948AAwOZIl

Moves
30 Mar 13

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Like Essex girls.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
30 Mar 13

Originally posted by divegeester
Like Essex girls.
BasVegas ... I miss BasVegas
😉