1. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 08:271 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Oh really? You might want to take a look at this site about ridiculed discoveries and vindicated mavericks

http://amasci.com/weird/vindac.html#j1

Here is one of my favorite quotes on the site. "Concepts which have proved useful for ordering things easily assume so great an authority over us, that we forget their terrestrial origin and accept them as u entific progress is frequently blocked for long periods of time by such errors." - Einstien.
    Yes, fair point, I may have over-simplified. But at least your mavericks were vindicated, no?
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 08:34
    Oh really? You might want to take a look at this site about ridiculed discoveries and vindicated mavericks

Here is one of my favorite quotes on the site. "Concepts which have proved useful for ordering things easily assume so great an authority over us, that we forget their terrestrial origin and accept them as u ...[text shortened]... entific progress is frequently blocked for long periods of time by such errors." - Einstien.
    Hoping that Creationism will one day be vindicated is stupid however.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 08:38
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Hoping that Creationism will one day be vindicated is stupid however.
    Perhaps not in this life.
  4. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 08:45

Here is one of my favorite quotes on the site. "Concepts which have proved useful for ordering things easily assume so great an authority over us, that we forget their terrestrial origin and accept them as u ...[text shortened]... entific progress is frequently blocked for long periods of time by such errors." - Einstien.
    It's amusing that Einstein's quote could equally apply to religion.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 08:55
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    It's amusing that Einstein's quote could equally apply to religion.
    As long as those concepts are ordered by mere mortals who are incapable of perfection.
  6. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 08:562 edits
    Perhaps not in this life.
    Whodey, if you or a loved one contracted a disease which would be fatal if untreated - but which could be cured if treated - would you not put your faith in science?

Is there not some intellectual dishonesty here? Why not just accept that you use and benefit from the fruits of scientific discovery and see science's progress as a tribute to both man's endeavour and the intricacy of the universe?

I know of no scientist who would claim our current understanding is "perfect". So there's no need to keep making the point.
  7. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 09:01
    As long as those concepts are ordered by mere mortals who are incapable of perfection.
    And how do you know they weren't, and your "experiences" merely aberations of your mind?
  8. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 09:011 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Shameless red herring! Or whatever. Science is constantly updated and modified. That is how it works. Beyond that--what's to discuss? Discovering that everything hasn't been discovered is supposed to undermine the validity of science? Alexander wept. Ignorance is not a virtue!
    Ignorance is not a virtue!

Tell that to those parading (S)cience as the ultimate authority (which incidentally keeps getting updated and modified) on knowledge and Truth.
  9. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 09:03
    Originally posted by Halitose
    [b]Ignorance is not a virtue!

Tell that to those parading (S)cience as the ultimate authority (which incidentally keeps getting updated and modified) on knowledge and Truth.[/b]
    Maybe you are confusing science with the products of science - the knowledge.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 09:04
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Whodey, if you or a loved one contracted a disease which would be fatal if untreated - but which could be cured if treated - would you not put your faith in science?

Is there not some intellectual dishonesty here? Why not just accept that you use and benefit from the fruits of scientific discovery and see its progress as a tribute to both man's endeavou ...[text shortened]... d claim our current understanding is "perfect". So there's no need to keep making the point.
    I do not hate science. After all, it is merely a study of what we percieve as reality in the physical universe. I, however, think there is more to reality than the physical universe. Why limit yourself to such a narrow margin? If I or someone I loved contracted a disease I would place my faith in God. God could then open me to avenues of healing which includes the realm of science if he so desired. You fail to consider the possibility that God himself may be behind revelations in the field of medical science that benefit his creation.
  11. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 09:05
    And how do you know they weren't, and your "experiences" merely aberations of your mind?
    Bleep! Bleep! Self-defeating-statement-o-meter just red-lined.
  12. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 09:06
    Maybe you are confusing science with the products of science - the knowledge.
    I don't think so.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 09:06
    Originally posted by Halitose
    [b]Ignorance is not a virtue!

Tell that to those parading (S)cience as the ultimate authority (which incidentally keeps getting updated and modified) on knowledge and Truth.[/b]
    Who would they be?

Incidentally it would be nice to see your response to frogstomp's latest comments in the Ox Goad thread.
  14. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 09:081 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Who would they be?

Incidentally it would be nice to see your response to frogstomp's latest comments in the Ox Goad thread.
    Who would they be?

The "what's wrong with evolution" thread would be a great place to start looking.
  15. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '06 09:091 edit
    I do not hate science. After all, it is merely a study of what we percieve as reality in the physical universe. I, however, think there is more to reality than the physical universe. Why limit yourself to such a narrow margin? If I or someone I loved contracted a disease I would place my faith in God. God could then open me to avenues of healing which in ...[text shortened]... God himself may be behind revelations in the field of medical science that benefit his creation.
    So you only ever take an aspirin if God tells you to?

I'm not overlooking anything. If you see science as revelation about the workings of the physical universe - whether this revelation is attributable to god or man - then you should celebrate science and enjoy its fruits.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree