Hal

SubscriberFMF
Spirituality 22 Aug '15 10:55
  1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Aug '15 10:55
    HAL: "I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do." ~ 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Any truth in this?
  2. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '15 11:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    HAL: [b]"I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do." ~ 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Any truth in this?
    Did HAL really think that? You'll have to ask Kubrick or Clarke. πŸ˜›

It seems to me a strange thing to hope for. Rather, I would hope to achieve something of value when I put myself to the fullest possible use. Otherwise, what's the point? Then again, I may be an idiot.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '15 11:56
    What are you doing Dave?

Please back away from the terminal Dave.

How about a nice game of chess?

Daisy, Daisy. waa, waa, wa........................................................................................
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Aug '15 12:06
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Did HAL really think that? You'll have to ask Kubrick or Clarke. πŸ˜›

It seems to me a strange thing to hope for. Rather, I would hope to achieve something of value when I put myself to the fullest possible use. Otherwise, what's the point? Then again, I may be an idiot.
    If you want to put yourself to the fullest ... the fullest possible use, you should turn your heart over to the Lord Jesus Christ.

If you want to put yourself to the use for which you were created, you should turn your life over to Jesus Christ, telling Him that THAT is your desire and intention.

This is not to DO something first. It is to allow God to dispense His life and nature in Christ INTO your being - a process once started which will not cease but extend into eternity.

If you want to put yourself to the maximum possible use you can pray -

"Lord Jesus thank you for redeeming me from my sins on Your cross. I receive You and consecrate my life to Christ and the church. Thankyou Lord Jesus. "

This "something of value" is symbolically portrayed in the last two chapters of the Bible (though we do not wait until the end of time to begin to participate). This "something of value" is God's eternal purpose, God the source of value. This matter of supreme value is New Jerusalem portrayed as a city of gold and 12 kinds of precious gems.

The 12 precious stones signify the transformed lives of human beings to become sons of God. And the gold of the city symbolizes the divine nature of God. It means God wroughts Himself into His chosen and redeemed people for their enjoyment and His eternal expression.

Remember that value is grounded in God Himself the uncreated and eternal source of value.
  5. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '15 12:20
    Originally posted by sonship
    If you want to put yourself to the fullest ... the fullest possible use, you should turn your heart over to the Lord Jesus Christ.

If you want to put yourself to the use for which you were created, you should turn your life over to Jesus Christ, telling Him that THAT is your desire and intention.

This is not to DO something first. It is to allow God t ...[text shortened]... on.

Remember that value is grounded in God Himself the uncreated and eternal source of value.
    😴
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Aug '15 12:22
    Originally posted by C Hess
    😴
    You snooze, you lose.
  7. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    22 Aug '15 12:23
    You snooze, you lose.
    😲
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Aug '15 12:25

This is not to DO something first. It is to allow God t ...[text shortened]... on.

As a matter of interest, how does all this manifest itself in your life outside of your thoughts?
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Aug '15 12:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    HAL: [b]"I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do." ~ 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Any truth in this?[/b]
    Use? Of what use is a baby?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Aug '15 13:06
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Use? Of what use is a baby?
    My two sons, when they were babies, served as a blend of entertainment and systematic life-affirming challenges.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Aug '15 13:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    HAL: "I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do." ~ 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Any truth in this?
    I have been giving a lot of thought to consciousness since the recent 'soul' thread. A significant part of human behavior is hardwired into us from evolution and is not merely a natural result of consciousness. I think it is wrong to assume that an artificial consciousness would have human drives.
    So, I would say no, there is no truth in it. The desire to be useful is a human attribute and not one that necessarily arises in all consciousness. Certainly even humans can 'hope to do' many things other than put themselves to fullest possible use, so even on that count it seems obviously false.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Aug '15 14:451 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    As a matter of interest, how does all this manifest itself in your life outside of your thoughts?
    This is what I live every day.
    We live it. We come together and share our experiences of this.
    We grow, We see God accomplishing our transformation and building up.

We see the spread and growth of this testimony taking place in the world.

No, it is not all arm-chair philosophizing.
    We have something wonderful to live for.

Here's an "outsider" giving his opinion about us.

YouTube&list=PLZAT1V9qntJ2h59uu8VVP0LN_PQQjnlmm

More - The History of the Lord's Recovery

YouTube
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Aug '15 15:53
    This is what I live every day.
    We live it. We come together and share our experiences of this.
    We grow, We see God accomplishing our transformation and building up.

We see the spread and growth of this testimony taking place in the world.

No, it is not all arm-chair philosophizing.
    We have something wonderful to live for.

Here's an "outside ...[text shortened]... ore - [b]The History of the Lord's Recovery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSw6a9jhm_0[/b]
    OK, so how does what you said in your first post on this thread manifest itself in your life aside from in your thoughts and aside from talking to other people [who have more or less the same thoughts as you] about your thoughts?
  14. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Aug '15 16:10
    Originally posted by FMF

Any truth in this?[/b]
    I can use my mind and body for good or evil. I hope I am not put to nearly my full use with respect to evil acts.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Aug '15 09:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    OK, so how does what you said in your first post on this thread manifest itself in your life aside from in your thoughts and aside from talking to other people [who have more or less the same thoughts as you] about your thoughts?
    Why don't you save everyone some time and cut the bull and tell him how you want him to respond?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree