1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '05 23:411 edit
    a quote from Atheism: The Case Against God, by George H. Smith:

"atheism is not the destruction of happiness and love; it is the destruction of the idea that happiness and love can be achieved only in another world. atheism brings these ideas down to earth, within the reach of man's mind."

i like this quote because (not to generalize too much, and it would be unfair of me to make blanket claims) i think that some theists tolerate their own faith because they work under the supposition that grass must be greener on the other side of the fence. these few(?) feel that the difficulty through which happiness and love are obtained in this life must somehow be counter-balanced by an afterlife where happiness and love are the norm. however, if the maggot food theory is true (see the THE TRUTH thread for a loose formulation of the maggot food theory), then happiness and love are fleeting and must be fought for and savored in the now.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jun '05 00:55
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    a quote from Atheism: The Case Against God, by George H. Smith:

"atheism is not the destruction of happiness and love; it is the destruction of the idea that happiness and love can be achieved only in another world. atheism brings these ideas down to earth, within the reach of man's mind."

i like this quote because (not to generalize too much, a ...[text shortened]... ood theory), then happiness and love are fleeting and must be fought for and savored in the now.
    I do not understand "...happiness and love can be achieved only in
    another world. ..." What does that mean, that if one believes in
    God one can only have happiness and love else where not here and
    now? Just trying to understand you point.
    Kelly
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    28 Jun '05 05:36
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I do not understand "...happiness and love can be achieved only in
    another world. ..." What does that mean, that if one believes in
    God one can only have happiness and love else where not here and
    now? Just trying to understand you point.
    Kelly
    that if one believes in God one can only have happiness and love else where not here and now?

no, i would never presume to go as far as to say that all theists are unhappy and unlovable. i would also state in advance that the quote is only meant to apply to a certain type of theist, not all theists.

all i am trying to say is that i think some people are drawn to faith in the afterlife because it promises some type of reward. in other words, some people are unhappy with their life and the way things are, so they turn to faith as a crutch because the perceived gift of afterlife promises happiness. it is more comforting to believe that a flowery afterlife awaits us once we die than it is to face the truth, which may well be that no such afterlife exists. i am not trying to paint all theists with this brush, but i definitely believe it applies to some theists. for these theists, their faith is a thin veil worn to conceal self interest.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree