1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Dec '15 18:05
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    People who say happy holidays should be slapped... I ain't got no holiday this Xmas... So, it's very insulting!

If anyone gets their knickers in a twist over someone wishing them a happy Xmas or a joyous Hanuka or whatever... Screw them! Slap them!

They're abusing our oxygen just by being alive.

Edit:
    Yeah, so happy work-days one and all!
    I can't stand it either, I say merry Christmas all the time. I guess I've just come more aware of the political correctness surrounding me at work.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    23 Dec '15 19:122 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I can't stand it either, I say merry Christmas all the time. I guess I've just come more aware of the political correctness surrounding me at work.
    Will you continue persist in your Non-PC hate filled verbage or cave to societal expectations?

You're like a scientific experiment or something.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Dec '15 19:56
    Why do you think it is politically correct to not say it? Has anyone told you not to? Has anyone taken offence? Has anyone said it is politically incorrect?
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Dec '15 20:18
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why do you think it is politically correct to not say it? Has anyone told you not to? Has anyone taken offence? Has anyone said it is politically incorrect?
    It seems everyone is easily offended by anything. Happy Holidays has replaced Merry Christmas for those who want to appear 'all-inclusive' or at least to not appear guilty when someone claims they're not. I said "Merry Christmas" to someone I didn't know just the other day and with a slightly annoyed face they said "I'm an atheist." I didn't want a huge scene, so I just said "Congratulations" and let it go.

It's like this in America so I wouldn't be surprised if it's happening in the UK now.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Dec '15 21:03
    Some people read Orwell's 1984 and take it as the warning it was intended as. Others read it and see it as a collection of tips for how to operate ThinkPol. The people who get upset about "Merry Christmas" etc tend to be the ones taking tips. If it's a problem then use the following phrase, and if they complain claim it's secular (it's not but real Northern European Paganism became extinct about a thousand years ago):

Have a peaceful Yuletide.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Dec '15 03:181 edit
    It was! Fortunately everyone knew me very well and the middle-east guy is not particularly religious. Nevertheless I felt a bit embarrassed.
    I would never feel embarassed for saying "Merry Christmas" to anyone. Making people feel embarassed for things like that is what the politics of "politically correctness" has done to many weak people. In the USA it comes from the liberal Democrats. 😏
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    24 Dec '15 04:27
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    It seems everyone is easily offended by anything. Happy Holidays has replaced Merry Christmas for those who want to appear 'all-inclusive' or at least to not appear guilty when someone claims they're not. I said "Merry Christmas" to someone I didn't know just the other day and with a slightly annoyed face they said "I'm an atheist." I didn't want a huge ...[text shortened]... it go.

It's like this in America so I wouldn't be surprised if it's happening in the UK now.
    In the UK "Happy Christmas" is a secular greeting used by
    people of all religions for the very secular holiday of "Christmas".
    (It is loosely based on Christian and Germanic festivals)

People try not to let religion spoil it.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Dec '15 07:001 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    It seems everyone is easily offended by anything.
    You are certainly well known for taking offence at anything.

Happy Holidays has replaced Merry Christmas for those who want to appear 'all-inclusive' or at least to not appear guilty when someone claims they're not.
    So its not about taking offence its about trying not to give offence?

I said "Merry Christmas" to someone I didn't know just the other day and with a slightly annoyed face they said "I'm an atheist."
    Well I am an atheist and would not respond that way. But then there are all sorts of atheists out there. I have no problem being wished a happy Christmas or even wishing someone else one. It isn't a declaration of faith to do so. It is wishing someone well over a generally celebrated holiday/celebration. I even know some Christians who celebrate it as a secular holiday ie their denomination does not think Christmas should be celebrated religiously but doesn't seem to object to it being celebrated as a non-religious occasion. My family tries to put a bit of religion into it and used to invite me to Church on Christmas day (to which I politely decline).

Have a Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year!
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    24 Dec '15 08:56

[b]Happy Holidays has replaced Merry Christmas for those who want to appear 'all-inclusive' or at least to not appear guilty when someone claims they're not.

I said "Merry Christmas" to someone I didn't know jus ...[text shortened]... on Christmas day (to which I politely decline).

Although Christmas is a false teaching from the Roman Catholic Church, nonetheless, it has become a time to celebrate the birth of Christ as well as a time of giving of gifts for most Christians. 😏
  10. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    24 Dec '15 09:122 edits
    Merry Christmas to all.
    I will be feasting on dead animals including hen, swine, sheep and cow.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Dec '15 20:33
    Why don't you think for yourself instead.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Dec '15 20:35
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    Merry Christmas to all.
    I will be feasting on dead animals including hen, swine, sheep and cow.
    I will also be carnivorous, drinking alcohol and if my wife would allow it I would treat myself to a luxury smoke of some sort.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Dec '15 20:38
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Sincere best wishes to all regardless of faith or lack of.
    Enjoy!
    😀
    xMAS SUCKS. gets worse for the poor every year.

As to your sentiments I'd like to wish everyone a happy non-xmas for every other day of the year. Sincerely!
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Dec '15 20:38
    Why don't you think for yourself instead.
    Not having a nice Christmas Eve or something?
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Dec '15 20:501 edit

[b]Happy Holidays has replaced Merry Christmas for those who want to appear 'all-inclusive' or at least to not appear guilty when someone claims they're not.

I said "Merry Christmas" to someone I didn't know jus ...[text shortened]... on Christmas day (to which I politely decline).

And as for New Years Eve ..... Errr!!!

I'll be looking after other people's kids for the ninth or tenth year in a row.
    Hopefully they'll be out by ten so I can follow them, and the neighbours keep it down ... or out. (that's the general expectation with noise in our appartments)

edit: Some stupid looking turkey is sitting on my mum's sink defrosting as we speak. Who cares?
    Why not come up with an excellent vegetarian meal every xmas - A salad would be good,specially in australia where it is hot for xmas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree