Kelly
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 14:31
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    🙂
    Kelly
    Thanksgiving... Isn't that where Americans binge on turkeys a month too early to celebrate wiping out Native Americans?

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy yours.

Any excuse to have fun family time is a good excuse... I think...
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 14:56
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Thanksgiving... Isn't that where Americans binge on turkeys a month too early to celebrate wiping out Native Americans?

Gee, wrong as usual; go figure.

Thanksgiving as a holiday has been celebrated by people from all walks of life for as long as we've kept any history. It's a way of both reflecting on the previous year as well as considering the grace of our own existence, the extravagance of our daily lives.

To be anything less than grateful for what we have would be less than human...
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 15:03
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Gee, wrong as usual; go figure.

Thanksgiving as a holiday has been celebrated by people from all walks of life for as long as we've kept any history. It's a way of both reflecting on the previous year as well as considering the grace of our own existence, the extravagance of our daily lives.

To be anything less than grateful for what we have would be less than human...
    Well over on this side of the Atlantic we've been keeping history for quite a
    bit longer than you have.

And it is in fact perfectly possible for a person not to be 'grateful' for their lot
    without them being subhuman.

I also find it ironic that the nation with the highest per-capita consumption of
    any (significant) country in the world by a country mile should choose to consider
    its extravagance by holding a feast...

Anyhow, I'll forgive you your ignorance, as you have amply demonstrated your
    complete and total detachment from reality.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 15:15

And it is in fact perfectly possible for a person not to be 'grateful' for their lot

I also find it ironic that the nation with the highest per-capita consumption of
    any (significant) country in the world by a c ...[text shortened]... our ignorance, as you have amply demonstrated your
    Actually i would like a debate on whether celebrating thanksgiving really is morally reprehensible
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 15:26
    🙂
    Kelly
    Amazing something as simple as wishing people a good day of thanks still
    has us going at each other. ;(
    Kelly
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 15:30

Did you know A that Canadians celebrate it in October?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 15:30
    Amazing something as simple as wishing people a good day of thanks still
    has us going at each other. ;(
    Kelly
    you can give it a semblance of anything you like, googlefudges assertions may be quite valid.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 15:31
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    Did you know A that Canadians celebrate it in October?
    are they too morally reprehensible?
  10. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 15:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    are they too morally reprehensible?
    I guess celebrating thanks with your family is not big there as it is in the USA.
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 15:421 edit
    I guess celebrating thanks with your family is not big there as it is in the USA.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanksgiving

More then a few countries celebrate it. Interesting read. Celebrated by Canada in the 1500's were USA celebration came in the 1600's.
  12. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 15:45

to be fair, the event is where a group of people where nice to another group of people. the latter would have starved to death otherwise.

we do not know if that particular group of europeans killed the natives who gave them food. so why do you associate one (of the few) nice interaction between europeans and natives with the following (not resulting) genocide?
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    California
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 15:48
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    to be fair, the event is where a group of people where nice to another group of people. the latter would have starved to death otherwise.

we do not know if that particular group of europeans killed the natives who gave them food. so why do you associate one (of the few) nice interaction between europeans and natives with the following (not resulting) genocide?
    I think the genocide started after the government came over after the Christians who had wanted religious freedom. :'(
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 15:54

any (significant) country in the world by a c ...[text shortened]... our ignorance, as you have amply demonstrated your

You do realize that folks on this side of the Atlantic came from that side of the Atlantic, right?

We all have a tendency to take things for granted; this is also a common human trait.
    However, all societies have had days of giving thanks--- in some cases, many days of similar activity--- dating back to when man first recorded anything about himself. Therefore, it appears to be a uniquely human aspect of life.

any (significant) country in the world by a country mile should choose to consider
    its extravagance by holding a feast...

Its irony is, in my opinion, highly compelling: what better way to symbolically demonstrate one's gratefulness for one's overflowing blessings than to sit before a table spread with far more than one could hope to consume?

Anyhow, I'll forgive you your ignorance, as you have amply demonstrated your

Apparently they don't make mirrors on that side of the Atlantic.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Nov '13 15:59
    Oh its big, but the thing is, we don't need a special day to do it, we do it every day. 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree