1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    04 Mar '16 22:461 edit
    Some of you have been debating religion for years. After reading hundreds (or thousands) of posts here, has anyone changed their mind regarding religion? Has any atheist here changed their position to belief, or vice-versa with theists?

Or at the very least, has anyone here changed their mind on the evolution/creation issue? Or was there a particular piece of theology that you felt sure about, but came to look at differently?

Lastly---and this will take some humility---what is the best point against the side you believe in? Theists, what is the best point (or thread) against your beliefs that you've seen on this forum? Atheists, what is the best point against atheism (or for Christianity) that you've seen?
  2. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    04 Mar '16 23:58
    No.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Mar '16 00:06
    Originally posted by vivify
    Some of you have been debating religion for years. After reading hundreds (or thousands) of posts here, has anyone changed their mind regarding religion? Has any atheist here changed their position to belief, or vice-versa with theists?

Or at the very least, has anyone here changed their mind on the evolution/creation issue? Or was there a particular ...[text shortened]... forum? Atheists, what is the best point against atheism (or for Christianity) that you've seen?
    It hasn't changed my lack of belief to belief, but it has changed my interest in the results-free back and forth that dominates this forum, to disinterest.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Mar '16 01:23

Or at the very least, has anyone here changed their mind on the evolution/creation issue? Or was there a particular ...[text shortened]... forum? Atheists, what is the best point against atheism (or for Christianity) that you've seen?
    You have asked this question already several years ago. Why ask it again?
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    05 Mar '16 02:12
    The teams are not playing in the same stadium. That makes comparing the stats sort of problematic.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    05 Mar '16 03:16
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Because several years have passed since then.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Mar '16 04:39

Yes I've had to rethink and modify some of them.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Mar '16 06:25
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    You lost my respect with that one! 🙄
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    05 Mar '16 08:35
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Yes I've had to rethink and modify some of them.
    Can you be more specific?

My own position hasn't budged.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Mar '16 10:011 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Can you be more specific?

My own position hasn't budged.
    I have a few, but the biggest I'd say is evolution at first I rejected it out right, now I see it
    as something that does occur just not all the way back to a common beginning. There have
    been some scriptural tweaks as well where I feel that others positions that made me rethink
    my positions.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    05 Mar '16 15:29
    I have not changed my basic outlook, but I have a better understanding of some of the issues which each camp considers fundamental.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Mar '16 15:46
    I'm with moonbus. I think that sums it up.
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    05 Mar '16 16:03
    Originally posted by moonbus
    I have not changed my basic outlook, but I have a better understanding of some of the issues which each camp considers fundamental.
    Yes, i go along with that.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Mar '16 20:03
    Or at the very least, has anyone here changed their mind on the evolution/creation issue? Or was there a particular piece of theology that you felt sure about, but came to look at differently?
    No, my position on Christianity is the same, I really haven't seen anything from the 'fringe', or even from the "anti-God" crowd, that makes me want to question my faith. My faith is still strong. I have seen application in my own life, and my life is actually more abundant now than ever before.

I've always held that evolution was just another item of creation in God's toolbox. I accept the progress science has made in allowing us to understand our reality as never before. I see no problem in accepting the universe as we see it. The only thing nagging me about scientific progress is the new advances in biotechnology (genetically-modified foods, computer chip implants). It is what it is, but just because we discover something new doesn't mean we need to start fundamentally changing our bodies or our genes before we know the long-term (generational) effects.

I've experienced one change from reading this forum for years, and that is my position on what some call the "Rapture". Previously, I thought that this was more of a "wishful thinking" type thing. I previously thought that the only "rapture" we'd see was a "post-Tribulation" rapture as Jesus returns to Earth, but my thinking has been altered significantly and now I am starting to accept a "pre-Tribulation rapture event". More study is obviously required.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Mar '16 20:09
    Originally posted by apathist
    The teams are not playing in the same stadium. That makes comparing the stats sort of problematic.
    Everyone's personal individual changes differ significantly. But what we all have in common is the ability to change. Talking about change in a generic way, even while citing personal examples, is beneficial, and is a viable topic.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree