1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 02:48
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    I grew up in a three-times-a-week-to-Protestant-church-service family. In my mid-teens I realized that there were questions about a Bible-based belief system that I could not get satisfying answers to from anybody in the church. I drifted away from the church, and have classified myself as agnostic ever since.

In the decades since then I have had o ...[text shortened]... than I have had? If so, what seemed to be the argument that the other person found irrefutable?
    Realizing the truth in any given situation, preferably the situation your in and being able to give life to it via meaningful words is always a good way to show people you are not just a pretty face. (There are SO MANY 'truths' in any situation.)

Secondly I try to speak in the language that the other would use. For example I would use biblical terminology if I am conversing with a christian ,etc. (please note that that is different than what I say on a public forum 😉 ). People appreciate when you make an effort to "meet them halfway", which brings me to my third point - Try meeting other people halfway when exchanging beliefs. (There are of course some things you cant meet people halfway on - like pedophelia.)

But concisely put , I have a natural direction to de-convert people from any organized religion, (always in a passive, non-intrusive way), and convert them to themselves. Haha.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 02:52
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I have not, to my knowledge, ever de-converted anyone (other than myself). However, I believe several people have changed their views due to discussions on this forum.
    Most of the people I have spent time discussing religion with (apart from this site) have been Christian creationists intent on converting me to their religion. The more moderate Christian ...[text shortened]... to understand the basics of astronomy and the speed of light, they never seem to be persuaded.
    You must've deconverted a few people, albeit (probably) not intentionally, no?
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 02:54
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Primary purpose of the local assembly of Believers in Christ is to enable them to be systematically exposed to the accurate teaching of the scriptures (from the original languages by a prepared pastor-teacher with the gift) for the purpose of Growing in Grace and aquiring the Mind of Christ. All else = fluff.
    God is fluff. Good one Bob!
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 03:37
    I abstained because I didn't know what was the correct Biblical policy on a female pastor.

The 'yes' vote won.
    Then, I say God answered your prayer, just not in the way you had hoped.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 04:032 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Then, I say God answered your prayer, just not in the way you had hoped.
    Would a person who attends a church where they say "No" agree on that interpretation of the Bible?

What do you think about Christians who complain that the secular world has no standard of truth, no standard of right and wrong?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 04:07
    Would a person who attends a church where they say "No" agree on that interpretation of the Bible?

What do you think about Christians who complain that the secular world has no standard of truth, no standard of right and wrong?
    Who knows?
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 04:09
    Who knows?
    Only someone who has an all-knowing deity whispering in his ear, I reckon.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 04:11
    Only someone who has an all-knowing deity whispering in his ear, I reckon.
    I did not hear any whisper, did you?
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 05:36
    I did not hear any whisper, did you?
    No sir.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 06:191 edit
    >>==>>::::>>Because your Holy Trinity is just as silent to you as Allah is to Muslims and Zeus was to Romans<<::::<<==<<
    Leaving aside that I don't believe in a "trinity" of gods, are you saying the reason you have moved from belief to unbelief is (generally speaking) because you have had conflicting opinion thrown at you and have asked god for clarification but not heard anything?

Edit: to save time here if you will post "it is all a load of tosh" as per proper knob's opinion, then I will drop the subject with you.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 06:21
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I'm not extrapolating it to everyone, merely throwing my opinion into the mix.
    Let's see if Paul agrees with your opinion that and will actually state "it is all a load of tosh".
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 06:42
    I abstained because I didn't know what was the correct Biblical policy on a female pastor.

The 'yes' vote won.
    You are still "abstaining" now imo.
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 13:03
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Leaving aside that I don't believe in a "trinity" of gods, are you saying the reason you have moved from belief to unbelief is (generally speaking) because you have had conflicting opinion thrown at you and have asked god for clarification but not heard anything?
    If your deity would like me to make Him the central focus of the rest of my life, all He has to do is speak audibly to me, or better yet appear in front of me and speak to me. If the voice I heard was saying something like, “Do good deeds, my son,” I would not find that sufficient, because I would conclude it was more likely that my own mind made up those words. Christian broadcasts are loaded with testimonies that include God saying things of that ilk. But if the voice also told me something I could not possibly know on my own, such as the first hundred digits of pi, then I could be sure it was the real thing. Kindly take a moment to pray that He will do this for me.

To use your own words on you, I ask if it is fair to say you have been “looking for and found some reasons not to believe” in Thor and Krishna.

You deny the Trinity. If you were to pray that your deity will speak correction to those who preach the Trinity doctrine, do you think your deity would do that? Or do you think it is a “load of tosh” that your deity would actually communicate personally with a modern human?
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 13:23
    If your deity would like me to make Him the central focus of the rest of my life, all He has to do is speak audibly to me, or better yet appear in front of me and speak to me. If the voice I heard was saying something like, “Do good deeds, my son,” I would not find that sufficient, because I would conclude it was more likely that my own mind made up th ...[text shortened]... t is a “load of tosh” that your deity would actually communicate personally with a modern human?
    What would you say if I told you "the Buddha" "whispered" in my ear once ?
    BTW, he didn't want me to become a Buddhist or anything like that, but out of all the mystical and trippy experiences I've had , straight and otherwise, that was the only one that actually referred to a historical person,(who was revered as a "god" by many including all of Hinduism, and who conversely started a godless religion).

For me it made total sense in my life path (dharma), but anytime I mention the story to anyone...well lets just say I dont mention it much around christians.
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    27 Feb '13 13:35
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    What would you say if I told you "the Buddha" "whispered" in my ear once ?
    I would say that this is wonderful for you, but I would add that the Buddha has never talked to me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree