1. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 15:471 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Why the hell should I HAVE to put up soundproofing to insulate me from the religious fervor rampant in my town? The biggest deal in our town are Churches and Bars. More churches than bars and that is saying something to a town full of drunks.
    Church bells a rung once a week on a Sunday morning, is it not the case? Can you not put headphones on for the duration of their ringing?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 15:49
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Then you obviously haven't been around Christians with a brain*.

There are plenty of us out there who believe in God and in science. One does not disavow the other in any way. It is narrow-minded humans of both persuasions who let their programming dictate what they think is real.

Asking that Christians discard their beliefs is amazingly intolerant. ...[text shortened]... dovetail their views with scientific reality.

*Maybe I need to patent this idea. 🙂
    If every religious person on Earth was as tolerant as you to other views, I would NEVER have a problem with religion.

I CERTAINLY have problems with religion as it is in the world today at large, not everyone is as forward thinking as you.

You are a minority in the pantheon of religions.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 15:50
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Church bells a rung once a week on a Sunday morning, is it not the case? Can you not put headphones on for the duration of their ringing?
    No they don't go off on just sunday morning here. It is more like a call to Mosque, several times a week. And just like the Middle east, they are not real bells, just stupid recordings on a shhittty sound system.
  4. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 15:51
    Then you obviously haven't been around Christians with a brain*.

There are plenty of us out there who believe in God and in science. One does not disavow the other in any way. It is narrow-minded humans of both persuasions who let their programming dictate what they think is real.

Asking that Christians discard their beliefs is amazingly intolerant. ...[text shortened]... dovetail their views with scientific reality.

*Maybe I need to patent this idea. 🙂
    First, I mentioned two who apparently have similar beliefs to RJ Hinds. The majority of my students may or may not be christian or muslim or devil worshippers for all I know. I know at least one christian with a brain, that I do know. I work with him and he also despairs of the extreme eyes tightly closed, fingers in ears variety of christianity. He also worries for my immortal soul for some reason. If the thing is immortal why worry about it?

Second I don't ask anyone to discard their beliefs. I do expect them to look critically at what evidence says and to modify their world view if the evidence says the belief is plainly false. That is what scientists do.

If a person were to trot out the comment "The earth cannot possibly be 4.5 billion years old because the bible says different" for example, despite evidence to the contrary then there is no dovetailing that person's beliefs with science. I think my favourite was that relativity must be wrong because E=mc^2 allows the creation of light (energy) from matter and god created all the light at one time.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 15:53
    No they don't go off on just sunday morning here. It is more like a call to Mosque, several times a week. And just like the Middle east, they are not real bells, just stupid recordings on a shhittty sound system.
    why dont you sneak in and wire up a cd with some blues on it, I would.
  6. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 15:57
    I hit back at the local god botherers by worshipping the thunder god in my TVR. Unfortunately the local vicar likes my car and wants one similar. Roaring V8s at 11:00 to summon the faithful? Seems like a damn good idea to me.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 15:59
    Here we have boy racers, mobile discos on wheels, you can hear their sub woofers through ten feet of concentrate.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 16:08
    Here we have boy racers, mobile discos on wheels, you can hear their sub woofers through ten feet of concentrate.
    They are frigging irritating here as well. Asssholes with 2000 watt stereo's.

Did you know there are actual car stereo DB CONTESTS here? The dude that can make the loudest sound inside his car wins. Some of them are approaching 180 DB of sound inside the car. What an insane contest.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 16:174 edits
    They are frigging irritating here as well. Asssholes with 2000 watt stereo's.

Did you know there are actual car stereo DB CONTESTS here? The dude that can make the loudest sound inside his car wins. Some of them are approaching 180 DB of sound inside the car. What an insane contest.
    LOL, I just laugh at them and sometimes, if they are close by and sitting in traffic, i blow them away with some Hendrix or if they are really annoying, some old school acid house 😀
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 16:321 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    Stephen Hawking Discussed by scientist John Lennox and apologist Ravi Zacharias.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wMyMmjPgLs Part 1
    Dr John Lennox and Dr Ravi Zacharias are two men in agreement that make sense to me in this crazy world of atheists attempting to promote scientism as the answer to everything. I watched all three parts of the video and especially liked how Dr Zacharias points out the fact that the non-physical aspects of our existence can't just arise from physical laws. Here is a link to that part:

YouTube

I would have preferred this to be one long continuous video than having a repeat of the same talk that ended the first part staring all over again on the beginning of the second part of the video. But perhaps it was repeated to emphasize what Dr Lennox said about the self-cntradictory aspect at 3 levels of the claim of Stephen Hawking that the law of gravity will cause the universe to create itself from nothing.

These two agree that Stephen Hawking has presented no new idea, but only states it in a way that may help in the marketing of his book, because of the ideology it expresses in the war of the two worldviews. Those worldviews being scientism and theology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism

It is pointed out that Hawking states that his ideas are based on scientific determinism and that free-will is an illusion. But is this really science? It seems to be presented as such, instead of an ideology, see the link.

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/scientific%20determinism

Dr Zacharias at the end of the third part suggests that Stephen Hawking being allowed to exist by being born instead of being aborted may have been to show the power of God. This reminds me of the question asked to Jesus as to the reason a certain blind man was born blind. I wonder if Hawkins has an explantion for the idea of good and evil and our personality, if there is no personal Creator as he claims.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 16:421 edit
    Originally posted by Kepler
    First, I mentioned two who apparently have similar beliefs to RJ Hinds. The majority of my students may or may not be christian or muslim or devil worshippers for all I know. I know at least one christian with a brain, that I do know. I work with him and he also despairs of the extreme eyes tightly closed, fingers in ears variety of christianity. He also worr allows the creation of light (energy) from matter and god created all the light at one time.
    Kepler, "If the thing is immortal why worry about it?"

Perhaps he believes, if you do not accept Christ as your Savior, it may be thrown into the Lake of Fire to be tormented forever.
  12. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 16:44
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Dr John Lennox and Dr Ravi Zacharias are two men in agreement that make sense to me in this crazy world of atheists attempting to promote scientism as the answer to everything. I watched all three parts of the video and especially liked how Dr Zacharias points out the fact that the non-physical aspects of our existence can't just arise from physical laws. H ...[text shortened]... or the idea of good and evil and our personality, if there is no personal Creator as he claims.
    Hawking was not born disabled, contrary to popular belief in certain parts of the world, and was in no danger of being aborted because abortion was illegal in Britain at the time. His motor neurone disease only became evident when he was a PhD student.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 16:45
    You ought to answer that call.
  14. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 16:46
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Kepler, "If the thing is immortal why worry about it?"

Perhaps he believes, if you do not accept Christ as your Savior, [b]it
    may be thrown into the Lake of Fire to be tormented forever.[/b]
    Apparently not. I asked him a while ago about this lake of fire malarkey and he does not think that eternal torture is consistent with a god who is supposedly love incarnate. I suppose it depends on which version of the biblical god you like.
  15. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    21 Apr '13 16:47
    Or maybe the ones who strike too close to home.
    No, those are far too rare to be considered the worst. Maybe it's the ones that advocate execution based only on hearsay? Those are pretty bad too.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree