1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    26 Sep '19 19:421 edit
    Someone sent me the following on hell. I would like your thoughts on it. (Dive Et al) Could you present scriptural arguments against anything said that you may disagree with.

“Scripture does not tell us the geological (or cosmological) location of hell. Hell is a literal place of real torment, but we do not know where it is. Hell may have a physical location in this universe, or it may be in an entirely different “dimension.” Whatever the case, the location of hell is far less important than the need to avoid going there.
    According to the Bible, though, hell is just as real as heaven. The Bible clearly and explicitly teaches that hell is a real place to which the wicked/unbelieving are sent after death. We have all sinned against God.

We have all sinned against God (Romans 3:23). The just punishment for that sin is death (Romans 6:23). Since all of our sin is ultimately against God (Psalm 51:4), and since God is an infinite and eternal Being, the punishment for sin, death, must also be infinite and eternal. Hell is this infinite and eternal death which we have earned because of our sin.

The punishment of the wicked dead in hell is described throughout Scripture as “eternal fire” (Matthew 25:41), “unquenchable fire” (Matthew 3:12), “shame and everlasting contempt” (Daniel 12:2), a place where “the fire is not quenched” (Mark 9:44-49), a place of “torment” and “fire” (Luke 16:23-24), “everlasting destruction” (2 Thessalonians 1:9), a place where “the smoke of torment rises forever and ever” (Revelation 14:10-11), and a “lake of burning sulfur” where the wicked are “tormented day and night forever and ever” (Revelation 20:10).

The punishment of the wicked in hell is as never ending as the bliss of the righteous in heaven. Jesus Himself indicates that punishment in hell is just as everlasting as life in heaven (Matthew 25:46). The wicked are forever subject to the fury and the wrath of God. Those in hell will acknowledge the perfect justice of God (Psalm 76:10). Those who are in hell will know that their punishment is just and that they alone are to blame (Deuteronomy 32:3-5). Yes, hell is real. Yes, hell is a place of torment and punishment that lasts forever and ever, with no end. Praise God that, through Jesus, we can escape this eternal fate (John 3:16, 18, 36).”
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Sep '19 19:491 edit
    @dj2becker said
    Someone sent me the following on hell. I would like your thoughts on it. (Dive Et al) Could you present scriptural arguments against anything said that you may disagree with.

“Scripture does not tell us the geological (or cosmological) location of hell. Hell is a literal place of real torment, but we do not know where it is. Hell may have a physical location in this univ ...[text shortened]... , with no end. Praise God that, through Jesus, we can escape this eternal fate (John 3:16, 18, 36).”
    Many of your so called references do not match the preceding comment, so the writer is a liar.

Two facts contradict the writers conclusions:
    1. How can an man suffer for eternity if his soul is not immortal, living for eternity. If the soul is immortal please show where the bible says that.
    2. Hell is cast in the the lake of fire. How can it therefore be eternal.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    26 Sep '19 20:03
    @rajk999 said
    Many of your so called references do not match the preceding comment, so the writer is a liar.

Two facts contradict the writers conclusions:
    1. How can an man suffer for eternity if his soul is not immortal, living for eternity. If the soul is immortal please show where the bible says that.
    2. Hell is cast in the the lake of fire. How can it therefore be eternal.
    According to the Bible, though, hell is just as real as heaven.

Where does the bible say this?
    Where does the bible say anyone goes heaven?

The entire post is nonsense and full assumptions, misinformation, false doctrines and belongs in the middle ages when people lived in fear of their church. Those days are gone. We know the truth now.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Sep '19 21:12
    @dj2becker said

“Scripture does not tell us the geological (or cosmological) location of hell. Hell is a literal place of real torment, but we do not know where it is. Hell may have a physical location in this univ ...[text shortened]... , with no end. Praise God that, through Jesus, we can escape this eternal fate (John 3:16, 18, 36).”
    Not interested.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '19 21:281 edit
    Eh, Let's hear from somebody else for awhile (beside the usuals here)

A Panel discussion. ( I appreciate Tim Keller )

God: Abounding in Love, Punishing the Guilty (Panel)

YouTube
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 Sep '19 23:57
    @dj2becker said

It seems those that protest the most care the least!
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Sep '19 03:31
    @rajk999 said
    According to the Bible, though, hell is just as real as heaven.

Where does the bible say this?
    Where does the bible say anyone goes heaven?

The entire post is nonsense and full assumptions, misinformation, false doctrines and belongs in the middle ages when people lived in fear of their church. Those days are gone. We know the truth now.
    What is the truth that we now know Rajk?
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Sep '19 08:296 edits
    @dj2becker

Those in hell will acknowledge the perfect justice of God (Psalm 76:10)

I didn't quite see yet how this verse applied - Psalm 76:10.

"For the wrath of man will praise You; You will gird Yourself with the remainder of wrath,"

However clearer to me is what the final martyred saints say in Rev. 15:3,4 who are seen standing on the shore of the lake of fire, as it were. Or "standing on a glassy sea mingled with fire" (v.2)

And I saw as it were another sign in heaven, great and wonderful, seven angels having seven plagues, the last plagues for in them the fury of God was finished. (v.1)

And I saw as it were a glassy sea mingled with fire and those who come away victorious from the beast and from his image and from the number of his name standing on the glassy sea, having harps of God. (v.2)

And they sing the song of Moses, the slave of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying, Great and wonderful are Your works, Lord God the Almighty! Righteous and true are Your ways, O King of the nations! (v.3)

Who will not fear, O Lord, and glorify Your name? For You alone are holy; for all the nations will come and worship before You, for Your righteous judgments have been made manifest." (v.4) (Rev. 15:1-4)
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Sep '19 08:46
    @dj2becker said
    What is the truth that we now know Rajk?
    That church leaders are liars.
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Sep '19 08:54
    @rajk999 said
    That church leaders are liars.
    Yes all of them, only Rajk speaks the truth.🙄
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Sep '19 09:044 edits
    Robert Govett Corrective punishment and Destructive punishment.

Punishments among men are of two kinds - They are (1) CORRECTIVE, or (2) DESTRUCTIVE.

Corrective punishments are administered in kindness to the offender. They are designed to check him in the way of evil - to make sin bitter to him - to lead him to repent. A father as found out, that his son has been stealing apples and pears from a neighbor's orchard. The neighbour comes to complain. He saw the offender in the tree. The lad denies. His box is searched. some fruits of the very kind is found there. The father is deeply wounded. 'Let James go on this, and he will end his days on the gallows! theft and lying! Where will it end? I must make him repent of this!' He inflicts chastisement of a severe kind. It has a good effect on James, and on his other sons. The is corrective, fatherly. It is designed benevolently towards the youth. Tis painful to both parties; but successful in restraining the young culprit from further crimes.

But corrective discipline has its limits. Here is a boy who is always unruly, irregular, impertinent in school. He has been warned, reproved, punished oft, but in vain. He corrupts others by his wicked example, and evil words. After patient trial, when hope is gone, when his character is set for evil, and he is leading astray the hopeful, shall he be tolerated any longer? No! the time for correction is over. Let him be expelled!

As he grows up, he goes on increasing in wickedness, He is brought before a court of justice, and punished as a youthful transgressor. Not amended, but hardened in jail by companionship with like characters, when allowed to go forth, he commits thefts - robberies - and at length, murder!

Here begins (2) DESTRUCTIVE punishment.
    At this point, law says - 'You are now past amending by any discipline I possess. We must put an end to your career. In kindness to Her Majesty's subjects at large, you must be put to death, by God's command.' "

Tis thus with the govenment of God. Punishments here are corrective; but the future sentence is to destruction : everlasting destruction." The character is setting here. The depraved will is now choosing evil under the reign of mercy. But, after death, the habit is fixed. The man is a falling stone, with nothing to stay it, descending, descending with still increasing force. ... dark cement ... it sets so fast. Leave it a couple of hours, it would be past moving by a trowel." Tis so with man ! He is setting fast! ...

... The Gospel of God's grace sets him soon, for evil or for good. Nothing hardens like the rejection of Christ.

[Eternal Suffering of the Wicked and Hades, Robert Govett, Schoettle Publishing, pages 10,11 of sermon "Eternal Punishment" ]
  12. S. Korea
    Moves
    27 Sep '19 09:28
    @divegeester said
    Not interested.
    Since when is Dive not interested in discussing hell? You have thousands of posts on this topic and are discussing it in other places.

It is suspicious that when it is time to interpret real passages and confront them, you're suddenly disinterested.

We must believe in the Bible as it is, dive, and not as what we would want it to be.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Sep '19 09:371 edit
    @philokalia said
    We must believe in the Bible as it is, dive, and not as what we would want it to be.
    I am fully aware of your mental and moral weaknesses.
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Sep '19 10:04
    @divegeester said
    I am fully aware of your mental and morel weaknesses.
    I thought you believed in moral relativism which means there are no moral weaknesses.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Sep '19 10:05
    @dj2becker said
    Yes all of them, only Rajk speaks the truth.🙄
    You are a failure. You habitually start threads and when people respond you ignore their comments.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree