1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    04 Dec '14 04:50
    Originally posted by FMF
    Who are you talking about?
    RobbieCarrobie hasn't been around for a while. Although I don't remember that he 'worshipped' the bible particularly. He just spoke all sorts of exotic languages while not partaking of blood. At a guess that's who Suzianne's on about.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '14 05:15
    Originally posted by FMF
    What do you make of josephw's contention that while the Bible contains the "Word of God", the writers were not inspired by God?
    Interesting; where did he say that?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '14 05:18
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    RobbieCarrobie hasn't been around for a while. Although I don't remember that he 'worshipped' the bible particularly.
    Robbie did nothing of the sort, of course. If that's who Suzianne is referring to then she is simply signalling her disrespect for his fairly exhaustive knowledge of the Bible.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '14 05:19
    Originally posted by Doward
    It's always been my experience that people who lack a real depth of understanding of the sacred writings often add "holy" as a descriptive crutch or rather as a way to legitimize their perspectives by claiming a certain "authority"
    Yes I've noticed this also and it was one of the observations which prompted the OP actually.

In my OP I breakdown this version of "holiness" into sub-groups from the Bible:

OT/NT
    Specific book of the bible
    Specific verses, as used in tracts for example
    Hymns incorporating part of or all of specific verses

My point with that was to examine at what point the text ceases to be "holy"?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '14 05:20
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Interesting; where did he say that?
    Towards the end of the "Bible tampered with" thread.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '14 05:22
    Interesting; where did [josephw] say that?
    Another interesting claim that he made in one of the Noah threads was that the population of the world was the same at the time of the flood as it is now.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '14 05:221 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Robbie did nothing of the sort, of course. If that's who Suzianne is referring to then she is simply signalling her disrespect for his fairly exhaustive knowledge of the Bible.
    I am a vocal critic of the JW organisation as is well documented here at RHP, but I can't say I've ever noticed robbie carrobie or Galveston75 refering to the bible as a book in this way.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '14 05:25
    I am a vocal critic of the JW organisation as is well documented here at RHP, but I can't say I've ever noticed robbie carrobie or Galveston75 refering to the bible as a book in this way.
    I hear the swish of Suzianne's fist not connecting.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Dec '14 05:35
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Painting with a rather broad brush, there, aren't you?
    Yes, I was responding in kind. Whodey said 'Muslims ....', so I responded with 'Muslims...'. Clearly I am talking about those Muslims whodey is referring to, whether or not they are a large set.
    As for the non-Muslims, I only referred to one: whodey. So you don't need to feel insulted this time.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Dec '14 13:23
    Some posters always use the prefix "holy" when referring to the bible. It always jars with me for some reason so I stopped to think about it a little.

Firstly Rev 15:4 points out that only God is holy. And there are other scriptures supporting this statement.

Secondly, to call an inanimate object "holy" is idolatry - isn't it?

OK, some will c ...[text shortened]... ining lots of scripture verses is holy, or a hymn book containing scriptural references is holy.
    Perhaps it is because of scriptures like these.....
    Rom 1:2
    which He promised before through His prophets in the Holy Scriptures,
    NKJV

2 Tim 3:15
    and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
    NKJV
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Dec '14 14:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    I hear the swish of Suzianne's fist not connecting.
    Ummm, that was YOUR fist not connecting.

As much as you would LOVE it if I were wrong, and would especially love to make it LOOK like I was wrong, I'm not.

You make the wrong assumption AGAIN. I'm not talking about robbie.

If you're going to do nothing but take every opportunity to slam me, you could at least be right ONCE.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Dec '14 16:28
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    You make the wrong assumption AGAIN. I'm not talking about robbie.

If you're going to do nothing but take every opportunity to slam me, you could at least be right ONCE.
    DeepThought speculated that you were referring to robbie, not me. robbie doesn't show a tendency to "worship the Bible as a God". Who, then, is this poster ~ who hasn't posted here in a while ~ who you think worships the Bible "as a God"?
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    04 Dec '14 18:52
    Originally posted by rwingett
    John 1:1
    In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
    That's the holiest verse in the Bible. 😉
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    05 Dec '14 04:30
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    RobbieCarrobie hasn't been around for a while. Although I don't remember that he 'worshipped' the bible particularly. He just spoke all sorts of exotic languages while not partaking of blood. At a guess that's who Suzianne's on about.
    We only worship Jehovah God.....
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Dec '14 10:071 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    That's the holiest verse in the Bible. 😉
    If there is a holiest verse there must be a least holy verse. What is that?

And when you determine it I suggest you get rid of it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree