1. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    14 Jul '14 11:201 edit
    Hakima, back to your OP.

I agree that we can meet God anywhere and everywhere. But I certainly do not believe that ALL ground is the same everywhere, and that there is no difference between one piece of ground and another. Certain ground seems to have an in-built blessing, and others an in-built curse! Nothing scientific about it, perhaps merely subjective to our subconsciousness or hidden memories.

The Bible certainly underlines that principle. Specific places were singled out for building temples or altars. Jesus' comments to the woman at the well in no way negated that. What he said was that of course you can worship God anywhere, because it is after all a spiritual activity! But that does NOT mean that certain places are not special.

My favourite place (and activity) is to go camping alone in the wilderness, far from anywhere and everybody. Unfortunately, there are very few places like this left in the world. I am fortunate to have access to such a place within only two hours drive of Pretoria, in the bush on a private game farm. It is a spiritual experience to be in silence and nature, with no obligation to make small talk with anybody. I have had my deepest, soul-changing experiences there. A week there, and I am restored.

Also, I like to go with my wife to silent retreats. Even when there are other people, it is a relief NOT to have to talk!

Btw, your quote from Rumi is one of my favourites. I like that field, and will gladly meet with you there any day!

Namaste.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jul '14 11:32
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    The thread title is "Holy Ground" and she is enquiring
    of others about "special" places. Isnt that obvious?

Start your own dreary thread if you want to talk
    about non-carnal spiritual experiences.

😞
    What are you, the forum police?

Interesting how you can go from enjoying the view to hurling invectives.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jul '14 11:47
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Hakima, back to your OP.

I agree that we can meet God anywhere and everywhere. But I certainly do not believe that ALL ground is the same everywhere, and that there is no difference between one piece of ground and another. Certain ground seems to have an in-built blessing, and others an in-built curse! Nothing scientific about it, perhaps merely subjecti ...[text shortened]... e of my favourites. I like that field, and will gladly meet with you there any day!

Namaste.
    "I agree that we can meet God anywhere and everywhere."

You can agree all you want, but you will only meet God on His terms and on His grounds.

John 14:6
    ".., I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

You want to meet God? Jesus is the way! There's nothing more spiritual than that. You want to know the spiritual life? Then learn from God what that is.

The knowledge of God and of life eternal is found in God's Word which is contained in The Book! Not in some kumbaya forum thread!
  4. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    14 Jul '14 11:51
    Originally posted by josephw
    The knowledge of God and of life eternal is found in God's Word which is contained in The Book! Not in some kumbaya forum thread!
    Then what are you doing here???
  5. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Jul '14 12:06
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"I agree that we can meet God anywhere and everywhere."

You can agree all you want, but you will only meet God on His terms and on His grounds.

John 14:6
    ".., I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

You want to meet God? Jesus is the way! There's nothing more spiritual than that. You want to ...[text shortened]... eternal is found in God's Word which is contained in The Book! Not in some kumbaya forum thread![/b]
    Funny thing is that while The Book contains the words of Jesus Christ about how to get eternal life, you do not accept it. Instead you contradict Christ with your doctrine.

The very same people who you think do not know Christ can be the very ones that are doing as Christ commanded. They will be living righteously, charitably, showing compassion and love to those around them. Christ said that kind of good works will not go unrewarded. Who are you to say otherwise.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Jul '14 12:52
    Luke 11:42 "But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done and not to leave the other undone."

LUKE 11:42-44

When Jesus said, "and not to leave the other undone," it is clear that He is not arguing against doing what is right. God's Word stresses holiness in our actions. The Pharisees' error that caused Jesus' rebuke was that they believed their actions could produce a right relationship with God. But a proper relationship with God can only come by humbling ourselves and putting faith in a Savior, who is Jesus. God cleanses our hearts by grace through faith (Eph. 2:8) and then we have our fruit unto holiness (Rom. 6:22). Holiness is a fruit, not a root, of salvation.

In a similar instance found in Matthew 23:26, Jesus told the Pharisees, "Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also." True Christianity comes from the inside out. A good heart will change a man's actions, but a man's actions cannot change his heart.

One of religion's favorite doctrines is that if you will just act right, you will be right. Nothing could be further from the truth. You must be born again. And if you are born again, then holiness is a by-product and not the way to a relationship with God.

This is the heart of the Gospel. Every major religion of the world has a moral standard it enforces, but only Christianity offers salvation through a Savior. Presenting holiness in any way other than as a result of salvation is denying Jesus as our Savior and places the burden of salvation on us. Improper emphasis on achieving holiness or salvation through one's own actions can damn that person. We must trust Jesus completely.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Jul '14 12:591 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Luke 11:42 "But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done and not to leave the other undone."

When Jesus said, "and not to leave the other undone," it is clear that He is not arguing against doing what is right. God's Word stresse ...[text shortened]... ess or salvation through one's own actions can damn that person. We must trust Jesus completely.
    Everything about your post represents a complete misunderstanding of the teachings of Christ. You fail to understand what it means to be born again.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Jul '14 13:04

When Jesus said, "and not to leave the other undone," it is clear that He is not arguing against doing what is right. God's Word stresse ...[text shortened]... ess or salvation through one's own actions can damn that person. We must trust Jesus completely.
    Well said.

Some people cannot see the forest for all the trees.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Jul '14 13:07
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Everything about your post represents a complete misunderstand of the teachings of Christ. You fail to understand what it means to be born again.
    It's not exactly a sign of "following Christ" that you assume everyone has an evil heart and are doing no works.

You assume much, but in the right way you do not assume enough.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Jul '14 13:20
    Originally posted by hakima
    Back to the my original question and thought...Last year, the little community I work with was hit by an F-4 tornado. It devastated homes and upturned lives. In the immediate aftermath, I went to the community to assess the damage of the community center and the neighborhood. The effects were beyond anything I had imagined up to that point in my life. I wonde ...[text shortened]...

In my mind, the ants had consecrated that ground through their unworried acts of rebuilding.
    Yes, yes!!

That verse about the lilies of the field is one of my favorites. I had thought that proper appreciation of this verse was just basically lost on everyone today.

Nature does not worry. We worry because we have lost our way, our natural connection.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Jul '14 13:57

Here is what you say about the error of the Pharisees:

The Pharisees' error that caused Jesus' rebuke was that they believed their actions could produce a right relationship with God.

I would like to see what Jesus said that made you say that. Remember that the Bible has no expression like 'relationship with God'. That is a totally made up slang used by the Christian comminity to fool people into thinking they have something special.

Anyway in Matt 23 Christ said a whole lot about the error of the Pharisees. Nothing remotely resembles what you say.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Jul '14 14:161 edit

The way to a 'relationship with God' is the follow the commandments of Christ:

1John 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

IF you keep His commandments and THEN you have a relationship with God or Christ.

Here it is again:

Joh 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

IF you keep Christ's commandments THEN Christ will make his abode with you.

That is how to have a relationship with Christ.
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jul '14 17:16
    Originally posted by CalJust
    Then what are you doing here???
    Making everyone miserable. :'( I guess!

And trying to make reason.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    14 Jul '14 17:59
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    The way to a 'relationship with God' is the follow the commandments of Christ:

1John 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.

IF you keep His commandments and THEN you have a relationship with God or Christ.

Here it is again:

[i]Joh 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my ...[text shortened]... nts THEN Christ will make his abode with you.

That is how to have a relationship with Christ.
    So what you're saying is that to have a relationship with God has to do with something you do, and has nothing to do with what God does.

Or what?
  15. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    14 Jul '14 21:19
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Vast emptiness, nothing holy😵
    there is
    nothing worthwhile to get
    out and discover –
    each moment you are
    present
    life moves deeper
    inside of you to
    explore herself.
    --Guthema Roba

_()_

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree