Holy spirit

Holy spirit

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
12 Mar 09
1 edit

Originally posted by knightmeister
er. No. I merely claim that once God enters our space time he cannot know the future as such knowledge results in time paradoxes.

-------whitey-------------

How so?
The moment information about the future (with God) enters the universe it affects the future. The affected future then affects the information thus affecting God thus affecting the future in a recursive manner. Hence a time paradox.

It can even be shown without the use of time.

God enters the universe complete with all knowledge of the universe. The total resulting sum (God plus universe) is now bigger than before thus resulting in God knowing not just the universe but also the now God plus universe. Again recursion results in an instantaneous infinity of information.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
12 Mar 09

Originally posted by vistesd
But God’s “all at once” is effectively the same as saying that God knows a priori what I choose (as opposed to only ex post facto). You can say it seems like ex post facto from God’s “all at once” perspective. But I don’t see how that changes the logic of the case.

If simple knowledge has no determining agency (I think ...[text shortened]... clauses into that deductive inference that—without other alteration—relieves the contradiction.
(1) God knows what I choose;

(2) God cannot be wrong;

(3) I can choose contrary to God’s knowledge.

So let’s substitute free agency with, say, an apple falling off a tree. Or, going a step further, call the thing that God knows “all actions from beginning to end.” Then, the formula would look like this:

(1) God knows all actions from beginning to end;
(2) God cannot be wrong;
(3) Action other than what is known by God can occur.

Now, we are faced with another contradiction. Either all action is known by God prior to said action occurring, or God does not know all action from beginning to end prior to said action occurring. In the case of the former, one could make a case that no action is free--- even something as simple as an apple falling off a tree--- that all of it is nothing less than one big contrived fallacy of freedom, free from any manipulation on God's part. Such a view flies in the face of our everyday experience, as well as the known history of man’s existence.

In the case of the latter, well, that’s just blasphemous and unthinkable.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
12 Mar 09

Originally posted by twhitehead
Am I understanding you correctly, are you saying that God knew the future even before he created the universe? If so, doesn't that contradict the claim (which might not be yours) that he knows the future based on observing what we choose?

[b]Not only can He tell me what I will do tomorrow (and every day after that), He is able to tell me what I will ...[text shortened]... can.

If he does tell you, wont that potentially change what you do causing a time paradox?[/b]
Am I understanding you correctly, are you saying that God knew the future even before he created the universe?
Yes.

If so, doesn't that contradict the claim (which might not be yours) that he knows the future based on observing what we choose?
In a sense, it was all played out in His head prior to any action on His part, so I guess you could say that He observed it, but not in the strictest sense of the term.

If he does tell you, wont that potentially change what you do causing a time paradox?
That's one too many 'ifs' to consider. He only tells us what we need.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
26 Mar 09

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
[b](1) God knows what I choose;

(2) God cannot be wrong;

(3) I can choose contrary to God’s knowledge.

So let’s substitute free agency with, say, an apple falling off a tree. Or, going a step further, call the thing that God knows “all actions from beginning to end.” Then, the formula would look like this:

(1) God knows all actions fr ...[text shortened]... f man’s existence.

In the case of the latter, well, that’s just blasphemous and unthinkable.[/b]
In the case of the latter, well, that’s just blasphemous and unthinkable.

I assume you mean by “unthinkable” simply that it contravenes your theology: other theists have certainly “thunk” it. I don’t know why it would be blasphemous, per se; but, again, you likely mean it just contravenes your theology. I belabor this only because your assertion here is a theological, not a philosophical, one.

I submit that your theology, then, puts you between the Scylla of an illogical claim and the Charybdis of blasphemy.

I’ve enjoyed the engagement, however. Be well, old friend.

k
knightmeister

Uk

Moves
30 Mar 09

The moment information about the future (with God) enters the universe it affects the future. The affected future then affects the information thus affecting God thus affecting the future in a recursive manner. Hence a time paradox.

It can even be shown without the use of time.

God enters the universe complete with all knowledge of the universe. The ...[text shortened]... the now God plus universe. Again recursion results in an instantaneous infinity of information.
The moment information about the future (with God) enters the universe it affects the future.--whitey-----------

How?

Cape Town

Moves
30 Mar 09

In a sense, it was all played out in His head prior to any action on His part, so I guess you could say that He observed it, but not in the strictest sense of the term.
So you clearly believe that my actions are predictable. That contradicts libertarian free will.

Cape Town

Moves
30 Mar 09

That's one too many 'ifs' to consider. He only tells us what we need.
In other words you simply don't want to think about the difficult questions.

Cape Town

Moves
30 Mar 09

Originally posted by knightmeister
The moment information about the future (with God) enters the universe it affects the future.--whitey-----------

How?
Because any change no matter how small in the universe can theoretically affect the future. If information enters the universe via God it changes the universe and changes the future. If it does not affect the universe in any way then it can hardly be said to be 'in' the universe anyway - nor can it really be said to even exist.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
31 Mar 09

So you clearly believe that my actions are predictable. That contradicts libertarian free will.
Only in your mind.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
31 Mar 09

In other words you simply don't want to think about the difficult questions.
Difficult questions? You haven't even started touching the sand on the beach yet!

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
31 Mar 09

Originally posted by vistesd
[b]In the case of the latter, well, that’s just blasphemous and unthinkable.

I assume you mean by “unthinkable” simply that it contravenes your theology: other theists have certainly “thunk” it. I don’t know why it would be blasphemous, per se; but, again, you likely mean it just contravenes your theology. I belabor this only because your assertio ...[text shortened]... and the Charybdis of blasphemy.

I’ve enjoyed the engagement, however. Be well, old friend.[/b]
And with you, good sir.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
02 Apr 09

Difficult questions? You haven't even started touching the sand on the beach yet!
are you even on the right beach? 😉

Cape Town

Moves
02 Apr 09

Only in your mind.
Do I then assume that you disagree but do not wish to explain why?