1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Sep '11 17:55
    Originally posted by JS357
    I think your answer that honesty is not a policy, is evasive. You might as well say in response to the question, "That's a nice puppy over there."

In answer to your question: Sometimes dishonesty is called for, such as the Nazi at the door scenario, who asks the question you have to answer is, "Are there any Jews here?" There are all kinds of rationalizatio ...[text shortened]... who can get through life without facing this dilemma is living a miraculously charmed life.
    Very good point.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 15:35
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Very good point.
    It looks like your praise of a non-theist's post has dumbfounded everyone and terminated this thread. 🙂
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 15:39
    Actually, it's me who has managed to get the last word in.
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 17:49
    Er... is this a competition?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 18:11
    Originally posted by JS357
    I think your answer that honesty is not a policy, is evasive. You might as well say in response to the question, "That's a nice puppy over there."

In answer to your question: Sometimes dishonesty is called for, such as the Nazi at the door scenario, who asks the question you have to answer is, "Are there any Jews here?" There are all kinds of rationalizatio ...[text shortened]... who can get through life without facing this dilemma is living a miraculously charmed life.
    Yes it was a bit evasive, sorry. I think honesty is generally the best "policy"; but policy is a strategy - tactically... would I lie to save my life or limb, or a loved ones, or anyone's for that matter - yes of course I would.
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    06 Sep '11 18:28
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Yes it was a bit evasive, sorry. I think honesty is generally the best "policy"; but policy is a strategy - tactically... would I lie to save my life or limb, or a loved ones, or anyone's for that matter - yes of course I would.
    Can't argue with that point.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree