1. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 02:241 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Cult- Any belief system that denies the truth.
    The truth of course being that only proper way to mix a mint julep is to collect the tenderest leaves of mint while they are still bathed in early morning dew, carefully chill a silver beaker to 34 degrees fahrenheit, crush ice until it is just on the verge of evaporating into a hazy cloud, select the finest bourbon that you can lay hands on in six surrounding counties, throw all the other ingredients into the nearest trashcan and top off the beaker with the bourbon and slowly sip it while you reflect on the ephemeral nature of existence and the deep mystery that accompanies the fact that some people are so full of themselves that they claim to know things that no sane man would.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 02:57
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    The truth of course being that only proper way to mix a mint julep is to collect the tenderest leaves of mint while they are still bathed in early morning dew, carefully chill a silver beaker to 34 degrees fahrenheit, crush ice until it is just on the verge of evaporating into a hazy cloud, select the finest bourbon that you can lay hands on in six surro ...[text shortened]... hat some people are so full of themselves that they claim to know things that no sane man would.
    While inebriated.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 03:08
    The truth of course being that only proper way to mix a mint julep is to collect the tenderest leaves of mint while they are still bathed in early morning dew, carefully chill a silver beaker to 34 degrees fahrenheit, crush ice until it is just on the verge of evaporating into a hazy cloud, select the finest bourbon that you can lay hands on in six surro ...[text shortened]... hat some people are so full of themselves that they claim to know things that no sane man would.
    Spoken like a true Kentuckian!
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 09:27
    You got to give them credit for trying...but only that . These questions are way off at times...Why is the rum always gone?
  5. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 11:24
    Originally posted by Zort Boy
    Your thoughts?
    An organization that has a system of beliefs that supports recruiting.Discourages members from using their own understanding and judgement. Supplies thier interpretation of any religious writings. Usually convinces members that God is on their side only. Preaches that God communicates directly to or through them. Shuns individuals that do not comply with the organizations rules. Effectively controls their members lives.
  6. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 13:05
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    An organization that has a system of beliefs that supports recruiting.Discourages members from using their own understanding and judgement. Supplies thier interpretation of any religious writings. Usually convinces members that God is on their side only. Preaches that God communicates directly to or through them. Shuns individuals that do not comply with the organizations rules. Effectively controls their members lives.
    Sounds like a lot of mainstream religions do all of the above to a certain extent.
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 13:183 edits
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    No. What I'm saying is that cults are in many cases just people who hold religious beliefs that are not held by most so they're usually belittled as being a cult.

For example, if I got 30 people together and decided to follow Zeus and the greek gods again we would be derided as being a cult. However, it is not a set of beliefs that is all that strange ...[text shortened]... compared to the idea of the universe being created in 6 days and the other stuff in the bible.
    cults are the sprouts upon the floor of the forest of faith. All of the great religions were at one time a "cult"

for example, if 2000 years ago, I got a small group of people together and decided to follow Jesus, it would be derided by the believers in Zeus as being "strange". And if this new movement threatened the establishment, there would be many persecutions seeking to stomp out this "cult".

it can be hard to imagine that those big trees were one time mere sprouts
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 14:42
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    cults are the sprouts upon the floor of the forest of faith. All of the great religions were at one time a "cult"

for example, if 2000 years ago, I got a small group of people together and decided to follow Jesus, it would be derided by the believers in Zeus as being "strange". And if this new movement threatened the establishment, there would be many ...[text shortened]... this "cult".

Your reasoning assumes there are no absolutes.

A cult is an institution that deviates from the truth.
  9. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 15:29
    Originally posted by Melanerpes

for example, if 2000 years ago, I got a small group of people together and decided to follow Jesus, it would be derided by the believers in Zeus as being "strange". And if this new movement threatened the establishment, there would be many ...[text shortened]... this "cult".

That's pretty much what I was getting at.

In fact, there were numerous persecutions against this cult and others. I think the phrase "throw the christian to the lions" is evidence of that.

Most jewish holidays are celebrations of getting out from under oppression - Hannukah, Passover, Purim...
  10. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 16:05

...as defined by you, or about 6 and a half billion other people. (Tho admittedly not all of that number requires medication to be able to live with others and treat them with respect.)
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 16:14
    ...as defined by you, or about 6 and a half billion other people. (Tho admittedly not all of that number requires medication to be able to live with others and treat them with respect.)
    Quite hypocritical. Have you had your medication today?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 16:57
    A cult is when you crouch in a corner mumbling strange things. When I crouch in the corner it is a religion (especially if I am clutching a bottle of bourbon.)
    Ah bourbon, now that is... "Every Mans Battle".
  13. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 17:13
    Quite hypocritical. Have you had your medication today?
    I'm not the one claiming to know the truth. I try to treat everyone with respect until they show that they have no respect for others. Don't you understand how insulting your statement was? Or do you just not care who you insult? What am I being hypocritical about - can you even explain that? I did NOT say that you were wrong about anything - I just pointed out that you were abrasive and insulting (qualities that you confirmed with your response.) You got the exact response that you deserved. Treat people with respect then they might have some respect for you - as it is I don't think you are worthy of respect.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 18:27
    I'm not the one claiming to know the truth. I try to treat everyone with respect until they show that they have no respect for others. Don't you understand how insulting your statement was? Or do you just not care who you insult? What am I being hypocritical about - can you even explain that? I did NOT say that you were wrong about anything - I just poi ...[text shortened]... then they might have some respect for you - as it is I don't think you are worthy of respect.
    Don't need nor require your respect.

Your post is rather extreme. I hope you didn't start crying about it.
    I didn't say anything that you should be so offended by. Everyone posting in this forum says what's on their mind without threat of censorship. (None of mine have been moderated out) So stop acting like a little girl. Unless you are one. In that case I apologise.

You were hypocritical when you talk about respect couched in subtlety.

"...as defined by you, or about 6 and a half billion other people. (Tho admittedly not all of that number requires medication to be able to live with others and treat them with respect.)"
  15. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '09 19:08

I am only observing that there are many claims to the truth. Some claims have existed for many years and are believed by many many people. Others have only existed briefly and have only a few followers.

The former are the established religions. The latter are the cults. All established religions were at one time a cult.

But I would expect that if something is an absolute truth, it will stand the test of time. And if something whithers quickly, it probably had severe flaws.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree