1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '17 11:521 edit
    Originally posted by @sonship
    "And [God] did not spare the ancient world but guarded Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, when He brought a flood upon the world of the unglodly." (Second Peter 2:5) (RcV)
    Thank you for that; the word is the same meaning as when god did not spare his own son. It is not about condemnation. That is, any person on earth could have walked onto the ark, they were not condemned. If you like, they were potentially spared. The flood still came and they still died but there was an option for them to simply walk onto the ark.
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Jul '17 13:57
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Sonship quoted one of his strange-belief gurus as saying "[b]only 8 were spared that judgement". I.E. the flood. I will show you how this type of statement is incorrect and leads to the development of strange beliefs.

Let's look at what the statement actually says.

The word "spared" in this context means that god spared, through ...[text shortened]... urvived.

God "spared" all of them. To state otherwise is to misunderstand the nature of God.[/b]
    I can't see why anyone would get into the Ark if they didn't believe a flood was coming.

Also don't think the Ark was big enough to save everyone.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '17 15:29
    Sonship quoted one of his strange-belief gurus as saying "[b]only 8 were spared that judgement". I.E. the flood. I will show you how this type of statement is incorrect and leads to the development of strange beliefs.

Let's look at what the statement actually says.

The word "spared" in this context means that god spared, through ...[text shortened]... urvived.

God "spared" all of them. To state otherwise is to misunderstand the nature of God.[/b]
    Once the doir was raised could they ones left outside allowed in if they wanted to enter?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '17 15:44
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    I can't see why anyone would get into the Ark if they didn't believe a flood was coming.

Also don't think the Ark was big enough to save everyone.
    I agree on both counts. My point is that could have, God would not have prevented it, in fact Noah was inviting them.

God is merciful
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '17 15:45
    Originally posted by @eladar
    Once the doir was raised could they ones left outside allowed in if they wanted to enter?
    No, the door was sealed shut. It is a type of being sealed in Christ of course.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '17 15:501 edit
    No, the door was sealed shut. It is a type of being sealed in Christ of course.
    Jesus said it was after the master returns that the doors are sealed. We iare still preflood at the moment. People still have the choice, but most just mock as in the days of Noah.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Jul '17 16:23
    Thank you for that; the word is the same meaning as when god did not spare his own son. It is not about condemnation. That is, any person on earth could have walked onto the ark, they were not condemned. If you like, they were potentially spared. The flood still came and they still died but there was an option for them to simply walk onto the ark.
    And yet they didn't.

Parallels to Romans 3.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    27 Jul '17 16:27
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Nice chapter. You should read the whole thing.
    Why do you assume he hasn't?
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Jul '17 16:42
    I agree on both counts. My point is that could have, God would not have prevented it, in fact Noah was inviting them.

God is merciful
    I agree the ark was intended to save anyone who heeded the warning. But there is a limited time of mercy. Once the door was shut it was too late.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '17 17:14
    I agree the ark was intended to save anyone who heeded the warning. But there is a limited time of mercy. Once the door was shut it was too late.
    Where does it say others were given a choice?

Genesis 7

The Lord then said to Noah, “Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation. 2 Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate, 3 and also seven pairs of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth. 4 Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made.”

5 And Noah did all that the Lord commanded him.

6 Noah was six hundred years old when the floodwaters came on the earth. 7 And Noah and his sons and his wife and his sons’ wives entered the ark to escape the waters of the flood. 8 Pairs of clean and unclean animals, of birds and of all creatures that move along the ground, 9 male and female, came to Noah and entered the ark, as God had commanded Noah. 10 And after the seven days the floodwaters came on the earth.

11 In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, on the seventeenth day of the second month—on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened. 12 And rain fell on the earth forty days and forty nights.

13 On that very day Noah and his sons, Shem, Ham and Japheth, together with his wife and the wives of his three sons, entered the ark. 14 They had with them every wild animal according to its kind, all livestock according to their kinds, every creature that moves along the ground according to its kind and every bird according to its kind, everything with wings. 15 Pairs of all creatures that have the breath of life in them came to Noah and entered the ark. 16 The animals going in were male and female of every living thing, as God had commanded Noah. Then the Lord shut him in.
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    27 Jul '17 17:40

Genesis 7

[b] The Lord then said to Noah, “Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation. 2 Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate, 3 and also seven pa ...[text shortened]... male and female of every living thing, as God had commanded Noah. Then the Lord shut him in.
    [/b]
    As much as it pains me to agree with you, i was wondering the same thing.
  12. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Jul '17 17:48

Genesis 7

[b] The Lord then said to Noah, “Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation. 2 Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate, 3 and also seven pa ...[text shortened]... male and female of every living thing, as God had commanded Noah. Then the Lord shut him in.
    [/b]
    2Pet. 2:5 and did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a preacher of righteousness, with seven others, when He brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly;

Noah was a 'preacher of righteousness', I'm sure he would have warned people of the impeding danger. Since he was living in the middle of the desert I'm sure they just laughed in his face.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '17 17:581 edit
    2Pet. 2:5 and did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a preacher of righteousness, with seven others, when He brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly;

Noah was a 'preacher of righteousness', I'm sure he would have warned people of the impeding danger. Since he was living in the middle of the desert I'm sure they just laughed in his face.
    Not sure about your assumption. It is as best a debatable matter.

Perhaps his preaching was limited to those who entered the ark.
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Jul '17 18:02
    He was a preacher of righteousness, in the end the righteous were saved. If anyone listened to his preaching and repented do you think they would have perished with the unrighteous?
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Jul '17 18:06

Perhaps his preaching was limited to those who entered the ark.
    I don't think someone who only speaks to his household can be regarded a preacher. I think we can safely assume his message travelled far and wide. News of a large boat in the middle of the desert would certainly spread like wildfire and draw in the crowds for him to preach to.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree