1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86307
    27 Jul '17 07:27
    Sonship quoted one of his strange-belief gurus as saying "only 8 were spared that judgement". I.E. the flood. I will show you how this type of statement is incorrect and leads to the development of strange beliefs.

    Let's look at what the statement actually says.

    The word "spared" in this context means that god spared, through his mercy, only the surviving 8, correct?

    No, incorrect. God "spared" everyone. Noah was preaching for years and years pleading with the people to believe him and get onto the ark. All they had to do was get on the ark. They didn't even have to believe him, they could have just walked onto the ark and survived.

    God "spared" all of them. To state otherwise is to misunderstand the nature of God.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    43938
    27 Jul '17 07:36
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Noah was preaching for years and years pleading with the people to believe him and get onto the ark.
    Yes, I have encountered those preachers too. I just avoid them.
    When they knock on my door I just pretend I'm not at home.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86307
    27 Jul '17 07:37
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    Yes, I have encountered those preachers too. I just avoid them.
    When they knock on my door I just pretend I'm not at home.
    Why not pretend you not logged on now? 🙂
  4. SubscriberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    51438
    27 Jul '17 07:44
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Sonship quoted one of his strange-belief gurus as saying "[b]only 8 were spared that judgement". I.E. the flood. I will show you how this type of statement is incorrect and leads to the development of strange beliefs.

    Let's look at what the statement actually says.

    The word "spared" in this context means that god spared, through ...[text shortened]... urvived.

    God "spared" all of them. To state otherwise is to misunderstand the nature of God.[/b]
    To believe any part of the Biblical flood story as true is a 'strange belief' full stop.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86307
    27 Jul '17 07:46
    Originally posted by @proper-knob
    To believe any part of the Biblical flood story as true is a 'strange belief' full stop.
    I recognise and respect your view on the bible and Christianity.
  6. SubscriberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    51438
    27 Jul '17 08:36
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I recognise and respect your view on the bible and Christianity.
    I always find it odd when Christians point out something they find strange with each other. Let's face it, the whole of Christianity is based on 'strange beliefs'. Adam & Eve, talking serpents, the Biblical Flood, virgin births, miracles, people being resurrected from the dead etc. You have just as 'strange beliefs' as sonship and every other Christian. Is what sonship beliefs any stranger than you believing Islam is the religion of Satan? That's pretty wacky.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86307
    27 Jul '17 08:39
    Originally posted by @proper-knob
    I always find it odd when Christians point out something they find strange with each other. Let's face it, the whole of Christianity is based on 'strange beliefs'. Adam & Eve, talking serpents, the Biblical Flood, virgin births, miracles, people being resurrected from the dead etc. You have just as 'strange beliefs' as sonship and every other Christian. ...[text shortened]... hip beliefs any stranger than you believing Islam is the religion of Satan? That's pretty wacky.
    Yes I accept that strangeness is relative and context dependent.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    8514
    27 Jul '17 09:09
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Yes I accept that strangeness is relative and context dependent.
    Impressively unflappable today sir.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86307
    27 Jul '17 09:18
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Impressively unflappable today sir.
    Not particularly, he's just right.
  10. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    27 Jul '17 11:05
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Sonship quoted one of his strange-belief gurus as saying "[b]only 8 were spared that judgement". I.E. the flood. I will show you how this type of statement is incorrect and leads to the development of strange beliefs.

    Let's look at what the statement actually says.

    The word "spared" in this context means that god spared, through ...[text shortened]... urvived.

    God "spared" all of them. To state otherwise is to misunderstand the nature of God.[/b]
    The Bible did say only 8 were saved from that flood.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86307
    27 Jul '17 11:13
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    The Bible did say only 8 were saved from that flood.
    I know. The term I saw used and which I stated in the OP, was "spared".
  12. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    27 Jul '17 11:18
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    I know. The term I saw used and which I stated in the OP, was "spared".
    Ok .. thats the difference.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86307
    27 Jul '17 11:24
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Ok .. thats the difference.
    Yes, as explained in the OP...
  14. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Joined
    03 Jan '13
    Moves
    8561
    27 Jul '17 11:401 edit
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Sonship quoted one of his strange-belief gurus as saying "[b]only 8 were spared that judgement". I.E. the flood. I will show you how this type of statement is incorrect and leads to the development of strange beliefs.

    Let's look at what the statement actually says.

    The word "spared" in this context means that god spared, through ...[text shortened]... urvived.

    God "spared" all of them. To state otherwise is to misunderstand the nature of God.[/b]
    "And [God] did not spare the ancient world but guarded Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, when He brought a flood upon the world of the unglodly." (Second Peter 2:5) (RcV)
  15. Standard memberRajk999
    Enjoying
    On the Beach
    Joined
    04 Apr '04
    Moves
    170571
    27 Jul '17 11:45
    Originally posted by @sonship
    [b] "And [God] did not spare the ancient world but guarded Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, when He brought a flood upon the world of the unglodly." (Second Peter 2:5) (RcV)
    [/b]
    Nice chapter. You should read the whole thing.
Back to Top