How reliable a source...

How reliable a source...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
16 Aug 14

...is a source consisting of numerous incomplete, badly translated, now largely missing sources?

Ancient Bibles:

I found this most enlightening. I always doubted that the bible was a reliable source, mainly because it was compiled by a group of men with their own agenda (choosing what goes in and what is left out) long after the events took place, but apparently the problem is even bigger than that. Or what say ye?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Aug 14

Originally posted by C Hess
...is a source consisting of numerous incomplete, badly translated, now largely missing sources?

Ancient Bibles: http://youtu.be/tmVY1Az5ij4

I found this most enlightening. I always doubted that the bible was a reliable source, mainly because it was compiled by a group of men with their own agenda (choosing what goes in and what is left out) long after the events took place, but apparently the problem is even bigger than that. Or what say ye?
I would say that typos in the Bible are not really your main reasoning for regarding it lightly. I would say "numerous incomplete, badly translated, now largly missing sources" is an intellectual excuse to hide a moral reasoning.

I would say your excuse "It is not reliable" masks another disdain which is more about wanting to be unaccountable to God and be left in peace to live a life which powerful sources driving you, seem best to just accept without conviction from God or the need for reconciliation to God.

rc

Moves
16 Aug 14

there is no ancient manuscript more reliably attested to than the Bible, there are literally thousands of extant manuscripts, codices and papyri.

Read a book!

Moves
16 Aug 14

Or what say ye?
I say the Bible is a masterful work of fiction, still the best seller of all time. Find a place for it on your nightstand.

rc

Moves
16 Aug 14

Originally posted by HandyAndy
I say the Bible is a masterful work of fiction, still the best seller of all time. Find a place for it on your nightstand.
really. Jesus is a fictional character? Can you cite any other fictional character that has influenced mankind to the extent of the Christ? Spider man? Bat man? Speedy Gonzalez?

Cape Town

Moves
16 Aug 14
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Jesus is a fictional character?
Not what he said. A large percentage of fictional works contain some actual historical figures.
I personally however think that the character portrayed in the Bible as Jesus is mythical and no, I don't know many other mythical characters that have had as much influence. But having influence doesn't make you real as most of the gods of the past have discovered to their great displeasure..

F

Moves
16 Aug 14
1 edit

really. Jesus is a fictional character? Can you cite any other fictional character that has influenced mankind to the extent of the Christ? Spider man? Bat man? Speedy Gonzalez?
The extent of the influence that the claims made about Jesus have had on people is not evidence of the veracity of the claims but is instead evidence of their influence.

Read a book!

Moves
16 Aug 14

really. Jesus is a fictional character?
I didn't say that. Think before you write.

rc

Moves
16 Aug 14
1 edit

I didn't say that. Think before you write.
you said the Bible is a work of fiction, practically all we know about Jesus is contained in the Bibles and so how did you determine which parts are fictional. Are you also contesting that the historical aspects are fictional, if so on what basis, because many are attested to archaeologically.

rc

Moves
16 Aug 14

Originally posted by FMF
The extent of the influence that the claims made about Jesus have had on people is not evidence of the veracity of the claims but is instead evidence of their influence.
As you wish spangled one!😵

rc

Moves
16 Aug 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
Not what he said. A large percentage of fictional works contain some actual historical figures.
I personally however think that the character portrayed in the Bible as Jesus is mythical and no, I don't know many other mythical characters that have had as much influence. But having influence doesn't make you real as most of the gods of the past have discovered to their great displeasure..
on what basis is Jesus mythical, because you see, you may get away with outlandish claims without evidence is Science, here we are interested not what is merely plausible, but what is true, so out with your evidence.

Read a book!

Moves
16 Aug 14

really. Jesus is a fictional character?
I think we all agree that Jesus Christ was a real person, though he never wrote anything down
and left no records that we know of. What you choose to believe about him is based only on what
others wrote many years after his crucifixion.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
16 Aug 14
4 edits

A few suggested debates between NT Textural experts / NT History scholarship

1.) Bart Ehrman verses Craig Evans - "Does The New Testament Misquote Jesus?"

2.) Derrall Bock verses Bart D. Ehrman - "Was The New Testament Forged?"

3.) Michael Licona verses Bart Ehrman - "Bart Ehrman on his loss of faith"

4.) Richard Carrier verses Mike Licona - "Did Jesus Rise From The Dead?"

5.) Michael Licona verses Dan Barker - "Did Jesus Rise From The Dead?"

Moves
16 Aug 14

Doesn't that depend on the purpose of the source?

What should its purpose(s) be, today?

For example it's not likely to be reliable as a chess manual.

rc

Moves
16 Aug 14

I think we all agree that Jesus Christ was a real person, though he never wrote anything down
and left no records that we know of. What you choose to believe about him is based only on what
others wrote many years after his crucifixion.
many years? the few accounts we have of Alexander the great were written five hundred years after his death, even the letters of Paul are dated to within sixty years of Christ death and yet we never hear you complain that the accounts of Alexanders life are fictional. What you were actually asked is what parts of scripture you deem to be in your own words 'fictional', and how you arrived at that evaluation.