1. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    82844
    12 Apr '05 15:13
    Leviticus 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.


    I would really like to know what others' experience is regarding this passage. While not Christian, I believe "love thy neighbour as thyself" is the wisdom of insight. The problem as I see it is that there is no instruction on how to love thy neighbor; to be told to do so is useless without instruction. What am I missing? How do you folks that hold the Bible as Truth interpret this passage? How do you in your everyday life love your neighbor?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26187
    12 Apr '05 15:171 edit
    Originally posted by eagles54
    Leviticus 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.


    I would really like to know what others' experience is regarding this passag ...[text shortened]... this passage? How do you in your everyday life love your neighbor?
    Perhaps you should be looking at the Kama Sutra instead of the Bible.
  3. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    31382
    12 Apr '05 15:21
    And what happens if you are a sado-masochist?
  4. Standard memberroyalchicken
    CHAOS GHOST!!!
    Elsewhere
    Joined
    29 Nov '02
    Moves
    17317
    12 Apr '05 15:401 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Perhaps you should be looking at the Kama Sutra instead of the Bible.
    That's not consistent with loving thy neighbour 'as thyself', necessarily 😉.
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Joined
    31 Jul '01
    Moves
    91452
    12 Apr '05 17:48
    Originally posted by eagles54
    Leviticus 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.


    I would really like to know what others' experience is regarding this passage. While not Christian, I believe "love thy neighbour as thyself" is the wisdom of insight. The problem as I see it is ...[text shortened]... the Bible as Truth interpret this passage? How do you in your everyday life love your neighbor?
    Oiy vey! I am stunned at how difficult chess players can make things. OK, yesterday my neighbor, who has a tiller, came over to till my garden. He's going on vacation and I will cut his grass while he is away. It was not very hard for us to do this for one another. What I have problems with is Jesus "kicking it up a notch" in telling us to love our enemies.
  6. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    82844
    12 Apr '05 17:591 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    OK, yesterday my neighbor, who has a tiller, came over to till my garden. He's going on vacation and I will cut his grass while he is away. It was not very hard for us to do this for one another. What I have problems with is Jesus "kicking it up a notch" in telling us to love our enemies.
    Isn't the term 'neighbor' also intended to include people who are not actually living in your immediate vicinity? That would make it less likely that you'd see a direct benefit from treating them as you would yourself. Or, what if your neighbor is (pick anyone from rhp that makes your jaw tight) a pain in the backside? I'll venture that you may not find it easy to find love for them. How would you go about finding that love? What does the word 'love' in this case really mean?

  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    12 Apr '05 20:09
    Originally posted by eagles54
    Leviticus 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.


    I would really like to know what others' experience is regarding this passage. While not Christian, I believe "love thy neighbour as thyself" is the wisdom of insight. The problem as I see it is ...[text shortened]... the Bible as Truth interpret this passage? How do you in your everyday life love your neighbor?
    Leviticus 19:10-35

    ======


    "Do not..." Some people think the Bible is nothing but a book of don'ts. But Jesus neatly summarized all these rules when he said to love God with all your heart, and your neighbor as yourself. He called these the greatest commandments (or rules) of all (Matthew 22:34-40). By carrying out Jesus' simple commands, we find ourselves following all of God's other laws as well.
  8. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    82844
    12 Apr '05 21:45
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    But Jesus neatly summarized all these rules when he said to love God with all your heart, and your neighbor as yourself. He called these the greatest commandments (or rules) of all (Matthew 22:34-40). By carrying out Jesus' simple commands, we find ourselves following all of God's other laws as well.
    RB, how do you go about loving your neighbor when they are not worthy of love? What are the practical steps to take so that Jesus' command is actually adhered to, and not left as another example of lip service?
  9. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223256
    12 Apr '05 21:49
    Originally posted by eagles54
    RB, how do you go about loving your neighbor when they are not worthy of love? What are the practical steps to take so that Jesus' command is actually adhered to, and not left as another example of lip service?
    You can befriend people by inviting them to Church maybe, and there they might see that there is more to life then just drugs and drinking, if that is what your friends do.
  10. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Joined
    22 Dec '04
    Moves
    41172
    12 Apr '05 21:50
    Originally posted by eagles54
    RB, how do you go about loving your neighbor when they are not worthy of love? What are the practical steps to take so that Jesus' command is actually adhered to, and not left as another example of lip service?
    God loves us all, so clearly we're all worthy of love. If you attempt to love people as you love yourself, and make it a conscious effort again and again, it eventually becomes a subconscious habit.
  11. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    82844
    12 Apr '05 21:53
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    You can befriend people by inviting them to Church maybe, and there they might see that there is more to life then just drugs and drinking, if that is what your friends do.
    Okay, I can see where that would be a good example. Thank you.
  12. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    82844
    12 Apr '05 21:55
    Originally posted by Darfius
    God loves us all, so clearly we're all worthy of love. If you attempt to love people as you love yourself, and make it a conscious effort again and again, it eventually becomes a subconscious habit.
    What I meant by "not worthy of love" was from our own standpoint, for example, someone who is an exceedingly difficult person.

    Your point is well taken. Thank you.
  13. Standard memberAynat
    Dog Companion
    Rain Forest
    Joined
    18 Jul '04
    Moves
    17859
    13 Apr '05 04:331 edit
    Aside from the golden rule of do unto others....

    Our duty to our neighbors is to show respect for the life we have been given, to work and pray for peace, to bear no malice, hate or prejudice in our hearts, to be kind to all creatures.

    To be honest and fair in all our dealings, to seek justice, freedom, and the necessities of life for all people. To speak truth and not use our silence to mislead others. To resist temptations to envy, greed and jealousy, to rejoice in the gifts of other people.

    This is BTW, a much bigger talk than my walk....

    You know that person behind the counter,...the one with the bad attitude....loving your neighbor means being kind anyway....
  14. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    82844
    13 Apr '05 09:54
    So far we've had some very good examples of what to do to treat one's neighbor well.

    How to accomplish these is more the focal point of my question.

    So, how to 'love' thy neighbor when it seems a very trying task? I'd like some practical examples of the steps taken when a deficiency is noticed between one's intent and one's actions.

    We know with which 'material' the road to hell is paved...
  15. Standard memberAynat
    Dog Companion
    Rain Forest
    Joined
    18 Jul '04
    Moves
    17859
    13 Apr '05 21:11
    Originally posted by eagles54
    So far we've had some very good examples of what to do to treat one's neighbor well.

    How to accomplish these is more the focal point of my question.

    So, how to 'love' thy neighbor when it seems a very trying task? I'd like some practical examples of the steps taken when a deficiency is noticed between one's intent and one's actions.

    We know with which 'material' the road to hell is paved...
    That is the problem....

    Thinking of others more and yourself less.

    Realizing that everyone has a story, that everyone has suffered to some degree and that you never know what is going on in other people's houses or has gone on in their past.

    Practice, practice, practice and them practice some more.

    Forgiving yourself for failure, and then trying some more.

    Rember that most of us (I believe) are trying, and forgiving them for their failures.

    Most important of all do not carry grudges or resentments...I find that if I have a grudge going it seems to nourish itself and grow and then become a justification for bad conduct....i.e. so-and-so was rude/mean/hurt my feelings so I don't have to be nice and I can snap right back if I want to, engage in gossip about them, "forget" to give them a message for a couple of hours......

    Did I mention that my talk is much bigger than my walk?
Back to Top