How to Love thy neighbor?

How to Love thy neighbor?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e

Moves
14 Apr 05

Originally posted by Aynat
That is the problem....

Thinking of others more and yourself less.

Realizing that everyone has a story, that everyone has suffered to some degree and that you never know what is going on in other people's houses or has gone on in their past.

Practice, practice, practice and them practice some more.

Forgiving yourself for failure, and then trying s ...[text shortened]... a message for a couple of hours......

Did I mention that my talk is much bigger than my walk?
Excellent points, Aynat.

I have no doubt you 'get' it.

The talk is always easy, but you show in your sincerity that you can walk as well.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
14 Apr 05

Originally posted by eagles54
Isn't the term 'neighbor' also intended to include people who are not actually living in your immediate vicinity? That would make it less likely that you'd see a direct benefit from treating them as you would yourself. Or, what if your neighbor is (pick anyone from rhp that makes your jaw tight) a pain in the backside? I'll venture that you may not fin ...[text shortened]... would you go about finding that love? What does the word 'love' in this case really mean?

I'd think it's fair to say 'neighbor' means anyone you have to deal with on a regular basis, people you work with, people you interact with. So it works as well today as then, it is not strictly geographical. It does not mean we have to invite every stranger home for dinner, or call strangers up on the phone and ask them about their needs. But people we have relationships with count. But the Pharisee's were limiting their kindness to their 'neighbors' and saying it was okay to be mean or thoughtless to strangers.

However, Christ made a point of telling us that when we see a stranger in need and we ignore him, we are not loving our neighbors. Even if we know that person is from a different (even hostile) culture. So, giving first aid to an enemy soldier, or the homeless foreigner is an example of loving your neighbor/enemy.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
14 Apr 05

Originally posted by Coletti
I'd think it's fair to say 'neighbor' means anyone you have to deal with on a regular basis, people you work with, people you interact with.
From a Christian viewpoint, I categorically disagree.

You should review Jesus's own definition of neighbor in the parable of the Good Samaritan (St
Luke 10?).

Your neighbor is anyone in need of what you can provide, whether you know them or not.

Nemesio

b

Moves
14 Apr 05

Originally posted by eagles54
Leviticus 19:18 Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

I would really like to know what others' experience is regarding this passage. While not Christian, I believe "love thy neighbour as thyself" is the wisdom of insight. The problem as I see it is ...[text shortened]... the Bible as Truth interpret this passage? How do you in your everyday life love your neighbor?
your neighbor is anyone that GOD has allowed to cross your path in life. Your neighbor is family, friends, and enemies. CHRIST in HIS walk on this earth loved and forgave even those that crucified HIM on the cross.

e

Moves
14 Apr 05

My feeling is that there is no one who is not our neighbor.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
14 Apr 05

Originally posted by Nemesio
From a Christian viewpoint, I categorically disagree.

You should review Jesus's own definition of neighbor in the parable of the Good Samaritan (St
Luke 10?).

Your neighbor is anyone in need of what you can provide, whether you know them or not.

Nemesio
Did you stop reading after the first paragraph?

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
14 Apr 05

Did you stop reading after the first paragraph?
I disagree with your saying, 'it is fair to say....'

It is not fair to say that. It is Pharisitic (no pun intended). Whatever
qualifications you gave later leads either to contradiction or
misunderstanding.

Either way, I disagree. As Eagle54 said perfectly above:

My feeling is that there is no one who is not our neighbor.

Nemesio

b

Moves
14 Apr 05

misunderstanding.

Either way, I disagree. As Eagle54 said perfectly above:

[b]My feeling is that there is no one who is not our neighbor.

Nemesio[/b]
true

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
14 Apr 05
1 edit

misunderstanding.

Either way, I disagr ...[text shortened]... hat there is no one who is not our neighbor.

Nemesio[/b]
Then I agree with you when you say it had lead to your "misunderstanding." For clearly you misunderstood. Because if you had understood, you would not be disagreeing with me.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
14 Apr 05

Then I agree with you when you say it had lead to your "misunderstanding." For clearly you misunderstood. Because if you had understood, you would not be disagreeing with me.
If you understood what the turn of phrase 'it is fair to say' entails,
you would not have used it. I disagree with the way in which that
paragraph was stated, given traditional understanding of words and
idioms in the English language.

Nemesio

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
14 Apr 05

If you understood what the turn of phrase 'it is fair to say' entails,
you would not have used it. I disagree with the way in which that
paragraph was stated, given traditional understanding of words and
idioms in the English language.

Nemesio
Then it's fair to say I don't understand either. 😕

I guess we can both agree that our "neighbor" is not strictly the guy who lives next door. And at the very least, anyone in need that we can help is our neighbor. 🙂