1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    16 Oct '10 03:141 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Most Bible translations say Christ was “crucified” rather than “impaled.” This is because of the common belief that the torture instrument upon which he was hung was a “cross” made of two pieces of wood instead of a single pale, or stake. Tradition, not the Scriptures, also says that the condemned man carried only the crossbeam of the cross, called the p ...[text shortened]... t Ezra 6:11, where it speaks of a single beam or timber on which a lawbreaker was to be impaled.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dispute_about_Jesus%27_execution_method

somehow, i doubt the jehova's witnesses alone hold the truth. that even if generations came to remember jesus torture device as a cross, the jw's figured out the true shape out of deduction from the meaning of the word stauros when many people used it as the second meaning. "It reports that in the writings of the first-century B.C. Diodorus Siculus, first-century A.D. Plutarch and early second-century Lucian - as well as in Matthew 27:40, Luke 9:23, 14:27 - the word "σταυρός"(edit: the codes here represent the greek leters of "stauros"😉 is used to refer to a cross, either as the instrument of crucifixion or metaphorically of voluntary suffering; "its form was indicated by the Greek letter T". It also reports that Plutarch used the word with regard to a pale for impaling a corpse.[6] "

but then again why should this case be any different? after all the jw's pride themselves of knowing the truth and being the minority that know it. like with evolution, noah's ark, blood transfusions, etc

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree