1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Jan '16 05:34
    How to tell the Earth's Age

There are many ways that we know the earth is only a few thousand years old. We can use science as well as the Holy Bible to determine the age of the earth. The following video discusses these facts.

YouTube
  2. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    23 Jan '16 15:03
    Nice video.
    Thanks Pastor.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Jan '16 18:303 edits
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I listened to your Video with interest up to about 8 minutes after the point he said something. He said he could not think of anything which was as important as the age of the earth.

I listened up to his presenting the chart of Ussher's chronology. Then I discontinued.

Now, the book of Romans is the basic groundwork of the major doctrines of the Christian faith. If the age of the earth is so important please show me where Paul discusses this in this foundational book on Christian teaching.

Chapter one ?
    Chapter two ?
    Chapter three ?
    Chapter four ?
    Five? Six? Seven? Eight? Nine? Ten? Eleven?

Chapter 12?
    Chapter 13?
    Chapter 14?
    Chapter 15 or 16?

Likewise in the book of Hebrews (which I think was written by Paul) the writer outlines what he calls the foundational matters of the Christian faith. He calls them "the beginning of the oracles of God" (5:12) and "the word of the beginning of Christ" (6:1)

"Therefore leaving the word of the beginning of Christ, let us be brought on to maturity, not laying again a FOUNDATION of -

repentance from dead works,
    and of faith in God,
    of teaching of baptisms
    and the laying on of hands,
    of the resurrection of the dead
    and of eternal judgment. " (Heb. 6:1,2)

Pinpointing the age of the universe is not mentioned.
    But it is utmost top priority to this speaker among all things concerning God communicating to humanity. The speaker makes the issue more important than any passage of the New Testament I can think of.

Even Peter who speaks of the modern ignoring of a judgment of water upon the world simply says these things took place "long ago" or "of old" .

"And [heretical mockers] saying, Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue this way from the beginning of creation. For this escapes them by their own choosing, that by the word of God the heavens were of old and the earth was compacted out of water and through water ... " (2 Peter 3:4-5)

Neither the Apostle Peter or the Apostle Paul make a great deal out of calculating how long ago the creation must be dated to. So why does the speaker say he can think of NOTHING more important than the age of the earth ?
  4. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    23 Jan '16 19:56
    Originally posted by sonship
    I listened to your Video with interest up to about 8 minutes after the point he said something. He said he could not think of anything which was as important as the age of the earth.

I listened up to his presenting the chart of Ussher's chronology. Then I discontinued.

Now, the book of [b]Romans
    is the basic groundwork of the major doctrines of ...[text shortened]... does the speaker say he can think of NOTHING more important than the age of the earth ?[/b]
    That's the problem when you only watch 8 minutes of a 105 minute video.
    You don't get it.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    23 Jan '16 19:58
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    We can use science ......
    Point me to the scientific papers and I will pay attention. Fail to do so and you are simply lying or do not know what the word 'science' is.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Jan '16 20:55
    Originally posted by Captain Strange
    You don't get it.
    No, I did not watch the entire video. But he made a major point - that the age of the earth is something so important to know that he can think of NOTHING more important.

Is there something further along in the video which might make a difference about this ?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Jan '16 21:142 edits
    You don't get it.
    You don't get it.
    -----------------------------

What do I not get?
    I think the subject of the date of the creation of the universe being in question, does not damage anyone's faith in Christ.

Now if you were to say that the resurrection of Jesus was in question, then I would gree that that is a major problem.

I did hear the speaker say that time was God to the evolutionists.

I don't know the date of the creation of the universe and my God is the Lord Jesus.
    Are you going to persuade me that if I don't know the age of the universe that weakens my faith in the Triune God's incarnation, redemptive death and resurrection to be Lord and Savior ?
  8. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    23 Jan '16 21:24
    [b] You don't get it.
    -----------------------------

What do I not get?
    I think the subject of the date of the creation of the universe being in question, does not damage anyone's faith in Christ.

Now if you were to say that the resurrection of Jesus was in question, then I would gree that that is a major problem.

I did hear the speaker sa ...[text shortened]... faith in the Triune God's incarnation, redemptive death and resurrection to be Lord and Savior ?[/b]
    What he means is if Genesis is rubbish how can you believe the rest of the bible.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jan '16 21:561 edit
    You don't get it.
    Don't tell me you are falling for this absolute bullshyte?

"Nice Video, pastor'.

I thought you were being sarcastic. So you too have to give up everything we have gleaned scientifically in the last 300 years to conform to the bullshyte timetable that you may notice was never mentioned in the bible but only who begat whom analysis by people thousands of years later. And of course you are to believe those begat tales would be totally accurate.

If Hinds is a pastor, I am Obama.
  10. St. Peter's
    Moves
    24 Jan '16 01:09
    What he means is if Genesis is rubbish how can you believe the rest of the bible.
    Or perhaps one need not read Genesis quite so literally? Then discrepancies over timelines mean very little.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jan '16 02:328 edits
    Oh, is that what he means.

Maybe you or he could present another single book, which in so many words, as are written in Genesis chapters1 through 10, say as much about the big questions of life and existence.

Let's see you present another writing of as many words as Genesis 1 to 10 which so concisely cover:

1.) The origin of matter
    3.) The beginning of time & space
    4,) The origin of animals
    5.) The origin of man
    6.) The purpose for man's creation
    7.) The origin of the institution of marriage
    7.) The origin of the seven day week
    8.) The origin of sin and death
    9.) The origin of the disharmony between God and human beings
    10.) The origin of the first promise of God to save mankind
    11.) The nature of the first human diet
    12.) The origin of human clothing
    11.) The brief history of the first human family
    12.) The origin of agriculture
    13.) The origin of raising livestock
    14.) The first murder
    15.) The first man-made religion
    16.) The origin of the first human city
    17.) The origin of metal work.
    18.) The origin of musical performance
    19.) The origin of the practice of polygamy.
    20.) The description of the first civilization without government
    21.) The description of both God's salvation and judgment
    22.) The institution of human government
    23.) The origin of meat eating
    24.) The origin of the spread of nations over the earth

Name another SINGLE book in human history that in as many words, tells us of these things as the first few thousand words of Genesis 1 through 10.
  12. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    24 Jan '16 09:36
    Oh, is that what he means.

Maybe you or he could present another single book, which in so many words, as are written in [b]Genesis
    chapters1 through 10, say as much about the big questions of life and existence.

Let's see you present another writing of as many words as Genesis 1 to 10 which so concisely cover:

1.) The origin of matt ...[text shortened]... ells us of these things as the first few thousand words of Genesis 1 through 10. [/b]
    He is not saying Genesis is rubbish, he believes it.
    He think its important to show that's its true.
  13. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    24 Jan '16 09:38
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Don't tell me you are falling for this absolute bullshyte?

"Nice Video, pastor'.

I thought you were being sarcastic. So you too have to give up everything we have gleaned scientifically in the last 300 years to conform to the bullshyte timetable that you may notice was never mentioned in the bible but only who begat whom analysis by people thousands ...[text shortened]... are to believe those begat tales would be totally accurate.

If Hinds is a pastor, I am Obama.
    How's Michelle ?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    24 Jan '16 12:221 edit
    He is not saying Genesis is rubbish, he believes it.
    He think its important to show that's its true.
    I agree that attitude about Genesis.
    But arguing that there is nothing more important than knowing the age of the universe ?

That's what the speaker on the video said.
    That God CREATED the world - period, the Apostle Paul says leaves men without an excuse to say they know nothing of God (Romans 1:18-24).

Think about it. If the AGE from the current dates recedes with every era, it makes sense that no biblical book would emphasize that duration from "modern" times back to the beginning.

But as a young Christian, after reading the New Testament, I did determine that I should understand Genesis. That was because Jesus of the NT undoubtedly appeared to take many accounts in Genesis as true.

I came to Genesis and the Old Testament through getting to know the New Testament first.

YEC insistance that the age of the universe is THE all encompassing vital matter which no other matter can exceed, is overkill IMO. So I asked - "Where in Romans, the basic foundation of Christian theology, does Paul make that point ?"
  15. Mar-a-Lago
    Moves
    24 Jan '16 14:23
    I agree that attitude about [b]Genesis.
    But arguing that there is nothing more important than knowing the age of the universe ?

That's what the speaker on the video said.
    That God CREATED the world - period, the Apostle Paul says leaves men without an excuse to say they know nothing of God (Romans 1:18-24).

Think about it. I ...[text shortened]... Where in Romans, the basic foundation of Christian theology, does Paul make that point ?"[/b]
    OK fair comment.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree