1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 23:43
    .. if your kid came home from school after attending a 'religious education' class ,(the actual term they use here), and your kid was taught nothing else but the Vedas?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 23:46
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    .. if your kid came home from school after attending a 'religious education' class ,(the actual term they use here), and your kid was taught nothing else but the Vedas?
    Pack my things and leave India.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '11 23:52
    The idea of RE is to teach people About religion, not to teach religion.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 00:01
    Well first i'd wonder where this kid came from...
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 00:33
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    The idea of RE is to teach people About religion, not to teach religion.
    Exactly!!

I was absolutely appalled to find my kid (5 years old) was going to be "taught" christianity and not about all religions-as I first thought. Silly me!!

The christian parents (most of them) just let it slide, but I wont stand for it. I'm going to kick up a stink about this until something gets changed.
    After all, my kid hasn't even reached the 'age of reason' (7) where he can start making decisions for himself.
    I only teach my kids pure information. And I wait until they ask. (BTW both of them asked "Is god true?" , or words to that effect, when they turned five. I was real careful with my answers, as I knew it would be forming ideas about God/spirituality in their minds.)

Imagine my dismay when my 5 yr old came home and asked me ""who is baby jesus?"

(gotta go all of a sudden, so I'll get back to this soon)
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 01:381 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Pack my things and leave India.
    Typical.

It's just not funny and I'm sure you are one of those that dont really care if RE is just christianity in disguise-which is precisely what it is.

Just in case any one was wondering, I live in Australia, which is not unlike many western european countries and prolly more like the USA. To be fair there is a bit of difference between say Victorians and Queenslanders,(the state I reside in), but at the end of the day it is hard to generalize about the whole country-just as it is unfair to generalize and say that all UK residents are the same, (which they are clearly not), but many Aussies will think that.
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 01:58
    Exactly!!

I was absolutely appalled to find my kid (5 years old) was going to be "taught" christianity and not about all religions-as I first thought. Silly me!!

The christian parents (most of them) just let it slide, but I wont stand for it. I'm going to kick up a stink about this until something gets changed.
    After all, my kid hasn't even reac ...[text shortened]... ""who is baby jesus?"

(gotta go all of a sudden, so I'll get back to this soon)
    Just curios but do you celibrate Christmas or Easter or Halloween?
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 02:041 edit
    Typical.

It's just not funny and I'm sure you are one of those that dont really care if RE is just christianity in disguise-which is precisely what it is.

Just in case any one was wondering, I live in Australia, which is not unlike many western european countries and prolly more like the USA. To be fair there is a bit of difference between say V ...[text shortened]... all UK residents are the same, (which they are clearly not), but many Aussies will think that.
    Would not bother me in the least what kind of RE they taught my kid in school. My daughter actually attended a Muslim school and I could not care less.

Here is why, and here is the root of the problem which you describe. The root of the problem is that parents and the skill of parenting is a lost art in many so-called advanced developed countries like the USA, Europe and AU it seems. The parent is the most important influence on the kid and what the kid accepts as right and good and true. Its not the school or the teachers. ITS THE PARENTS.

Weak and lazy parents who dont spend time with their kids will naturally try to get others - school, society, govt etc - to take as much responsibility for their kids development as possible.

When you have strong parents, the rest of the world takes a distant second place in the kid's knowledge and development.
  9. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 02:151 edit
    *double post due to ridiculously slow, sputtering website*
  10. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 02:151 edit
    Imagine my dismay when my 5 yr old came home and asked me ""who is baby jesus?"
    The horror!! I'm sure it drove you into an insane rage, and rightfully so! You've got to do something about this. You should march straight up to that school and demand that your child be taught the enormous benefits of other important spiritual leaders! 😠

I'm sure it wouldn't have even been noteworthy--other than perhaps your post describing what a wonderful school your child attends--had he come home and said, "Man! That Mohammed really kicked some Christian butt! Allahu Akbar!" or "Was Aleister Crowley really a virtuous humanitarian?"
  11. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 02:282 edits
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I like Halloween a little bit- but thats mainly because it's fun for my young child, and I believe it teaches him (a little) not to be scared of "scary things" . (I could elaborate on this point but I'll just keep it brief.

As far as Xmas and Easter is concerned , I personally hate them . (and I dont often use the word "hate" )

But because of the situation of our family (Just me, mum and sis' live here in Australia, all the rest are in Europe), and especially because of my mum, I "celebrate" xmas and Easter for her.
    (My mum is very old-fashioned with a lot of things, and if we weren't related , we'd prolly hate each others guts).
    But we are related and strangely enough, i am the no.1 man in her life.

She has a boyfriend of some 8 years, but he is such a loser, and even mum thinks so, but she'd rather stay with him than be alone . (I think she is selling herself short, but whatever floats you boat ...)

I do however like birthdays, but understand that there are many people who dont.
    I respect that.
    And on a side note, my mum works with a JW most of the time .(she sells clothes)
    So every time xmas comes around , you can feel a certain tension in the air. (I think you have an idea of what I mean 😉 )
  12. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 02:30
    How would you feel..
    With my fingers 😕
  13. Standard membersumydid
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Not of this World
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 02:321 edit
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Right.

When karoly was confronted with the outrageous, unfortunate reality that his own child was introduced to some history about the most loved and most controversial spiritual leader and teacher of all time... all he had to say is,

"My child, this 'baby Jesus' is the dude that we have to thank for Daddy being paid while he spends time home with you opening presents; and it's the same dude that we pretend to care about once a year while you hunt painted eggs and eat chocolate bunnies."
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 02:401 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Would not bother me in the least what kind of RE they taught my kid in school. My daughter actually attended a Muslim school and I could not care less.

Here is why, and here is the root of the problem which you describe. The root of the problem is that parents and the skill of parenting is a lost art in many so-called advanced developed countries like th ...[text shortened]... nts, the rest of the world takes a distant second place in the kid's knowledge and development.
    Good point.
    I agree whole heartedly.

However you are still deflecting the issue here.
    My kid spends 6 hours a day , five days a week at school, where he is mainly influenced by his teacher.
    (I can see his classroom from right here, right now. If that tree wasn't in the way I could be looking straight into my kids classroom.)

There are many lazy parents-but I am not one of them . I raised my daughter until she was six or so (gosh, I hope she doesn't read this, as she is a rhp member), and she has turned out fantastic. Beyond my wildest dreams. She is just about to turn 16 and she has respect for me (and other elders), which puts her in a 5-10% bracket.
    She has been dux of the school for the last 3 years (top academic).
    And I feel I had a huge part to play in her early development, (as I was the one changing nappies,doing the dishes,and especially teaching her about life until she was 6).
    But not only is she academically brilliant, she is also very smart in other ways. She has people skills and at the age of 5 had more friends than I did in the town we were residing in at the time.

Sorry to crap on about myself, but I did this to give you a little background.

I have always been good with children-everyones children-it's the adults I've had problems with 😉
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 02:45
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    With my fingers 😕
    Another christian not taking my kids education seriously.

😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree