1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 02:51
    Originally posted by sumydid
    The horror!! I'm sure it drove you into an insane rage, and rightfully so! You've got to do something about this. You should march straight up to that school and demand that your child be taught the enormous benefits of other important spiritual leaders! 😠

I'm sure it wouldn't have even been noteworthy--other than perhaps your post describing w ...[text shortened]... hristian butt! Allahu Akbar!" or "Was Aleister Crowley really a virtuous humanitarian?"
    The point is that we (parents) are under the illusion that our kids are being taught about religion- not being indoctrinated into christianity-which is pretty much what RE is.

I would really like to see at least on christian take this seriously and tell me why the government ,(or whoever is responsible), is trying to dupe us into thinking that they are being taught about religion, when in fact they are being indoctrinated into christianity.

C'mon "christians" ! What would Jesus say?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 02:58
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    The point is that we (parents) are under the illusion that our kids are being taught about religion- not being indoctrinated into christianity-which is pretty much what RE is.

I would really like to see at least on christian take this seriously and tell me why the government ,(or whoever is responsible), is trying to dupe us into thinking that they ...[text shortened]... they are being indoctrinated into christianity.

C'mon "christians" ! What would Jesus say?
    I wonder what Christ would say if the schools taught Christianity... thats a hard one .. let me think .... 🙄
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 03:021 edit
    Good point.
    I agree whole heartedly.

However you are still deflecting the issue here.
    My kid spends 6 hours a day , five days a week at school, where he is mainly influenced by his teacher.
    (I can see his classroom from right here, right now. If that tree wasn't in the way I could be looking straight into my kids classroom.)

There are many l always been good with children-everyones children-it's the adults I've had problems with 😉
    Hope you did not teach her to light up a joint as well. Not sure that changing nappies and washing dishes improved her IQ ... just kidding.

Ok ... it seems to me that you did a good job. Why this concern about religion and Christianity. Let the girl make her own choice now. Surely if the girl is old enough to pick her own boyfriend and get married in a few years and have kids, she must be competent enough to choose which religion if any, she wants to be associated with.
  4. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 03:11
    Another Christian not taking my kid's education seriously.

😛
    Fixed, as long as he learns writing in school he'll be ok. 😛
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 03:24
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Fixed, as long as he learns writing in school he'll be ok. 😛
    Sure thing 😉
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 03:32
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I wonder what Christ would say if the schools taught Christianity... thats a hard one .. let me think .... 🙄
    But there wasn't any christianity before christ, was there?

The actual man, Jesus, spawned a religion, just as Guatama Buddha did.
    But ,imo, i dont think either of them wanted to be followed, to have a religion named after them. I believe they both wanted us to find the "light" within-wherever it may take you on the "outside".

This is the "answer" of religion/spirituality . "We" ARE the answer .
    All the great masters know this.
    (Remember they were the master of no one except themselves)

As the buddha said: 'Find your own enlightenment with dignity'.

Question to you Rajk: Are you one of those christians that think we get to heaven when we die? Or do you think that our life was "designed" for us to 'find God/heaven' while we are alive?

( Otherwise we are just in God's waiting room waiting to die, no?)
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 03:382 edits
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Hope you did not teach her to light up a joint as well. Not sure that changing nappies and washing dishes improved her IQ ... just kidding.

Ok ... it seems to me that you did a good job. Why this concern about religion and Christianity. Let the girl make her own choice now. Surely if the girl is old enough to pick her own boyfriend and get married in a fe ...[text shortened]... , she must be competent enough to choose which religion if any, she wants to be associated with.
    Yes, but my OP is in relation to my other kid. My boy who will turn 6 in Febuary.

And it is not so much my kid that I am worried about - it is the others that may not have such strong parental role models that I believe I gave/give to my kids.

(Yes, my daughter is free to choose whatever religion, lifestyle she wants. It is only if I see her making an obviously major mistake that I will step in. After all, as you say, she is nearly an adult now. And kids seem to be growing up so much quicker now. Reflecting back on when I was my daughters age, I was not nearly half as smart and wise as she is now.)
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 03:46
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Well first i'd wonder where this kid came from...
    Huh?
    Are you not aware of where I live (generally)?
    I dont get your line of enquiry

I believe you are living in Ireland, which is not really that much different from where I live- well not religiously anyway. Am I right?
  9. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 04:16
    But there wasn't any christianity before christ, was there?

The actual man, Jesus, spawned a religion, just as Guatama Buddha did.
    But ,imo, i dont think either of them wanted to be followed, to have a religion named after them. I believe they both wanted us to find the "light" within-wherever it may take you on the "outside".

This is the "answer ...[text shortened]... re alive?

( Otherwise we are just in God's waiting room waiting to die, no?)
    Good question, much like the chicken and the egg. the Christ ideal was there before Christianity, Christ Himself existed before He walked upon the Earth.
    I'm sorry you feel as though Christians are monopolizing your local R/S E program. Perhaps this should be addressed with the local school board. I think your child has the right to hear of any religion he or she wants.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 04:41
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Good question, much like the chicken and the egg. the Christ ideal was there before Christianity, Christ Himself existed before He walked upon the Earth.
    I'm sorry you feel as though Christians are monopolizing your local R/S E program. Perhaps this should be addressed with the local school board. I think your child has the right to hear of any religion he or she wants.
    Thank you for your sensible input. It may not be as fun as making fun of things, but there is a time and place for all things, and I consider this a serious issue, which is why I made a new thread about it .

Peace.
  11. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 05:25
    Originally posted by sumydid
    The horror!! I'm sure it drove you into an insane rage, and rightfully so! You've got to do something about this. You should march straight up to that school and demand that your child be taught the enormous benefits of other important spiritual leaders! 😠

I'm sure it wouldn't have even been noteworthy--other than perhaps your post describing w ...[text shortened]... hristian butt! Allahu Akbar!" or "Was Aleister Crowley really a virtuous humanitarian?"
    looks like you have missed the point of religious education class.
  12. Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 08:55
    if your kid came home from school after attending a 'religious education' class ,(the actual term they use here), and your kid was taught nothing else but the Vedas?
    In my case, I was taught RE (actually Bible Knowledge) for 5 years in high school. But that didn't make me a Christian.

To answer your question, I wouldn't like it. Kids nowadays are much smarter than we were at that age. They can and will choose for themselves.

Mostly they watch their parents and check if they are walking the talk.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 09:17
    .. if your kid came home from school after attending a 'religious education' class ,(the actual term they use here), and your kid was taught nothing else but the Vedas?
    In the UK children are taught about religions, common themes and what can be learned from their stories.

Much better than when I was a lad!!
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 09:21
    Imagine my dismay when my 5 yr old came home and asked me ""who is baby jesus?"
    When my son was 7, I saw him punch himself on his shoulder. I asked why, and he said the teacher told them that Satan sits on one shoulder whispering in your ear. (and an angel on the other shoulder). So he was punching Satan.

More recently, in high school, they do a subject called 'life orientation' and there they were learning about Christianity, Islaam, Buddhism, and Hinduism.

In Zambia, everyone learns Christianity in 'Religious Education'. I remember getting really upset because they taught us 'as fact' that animal can't think. I knew that was nonsense.
  15. Joined
    05 Feb '11
    Moves
    02 Dec '11 09:24
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    ...he said the teacher told them that Satan sits on one shoulder whispering in your ear. (and an angel on the other shoulder). So he was punching Satan.
    Was this teacher in Zambia or South Africa?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree