1. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 13:10
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Vincent comes to mind.
    STARRY STARRY NIGHT......................................
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 13:38
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I heard this phrase while listening to radio 4, the meaning is of course that there are
    Christians who are Christians in some sense but who find spiritual fulfilment, not so
    much in the application of Christianity as they perceive it, but in other pursuits, for
    example art or music. I myself find the concept rather disturbing, for I know that ...[text shortened]... embering-with Erasmus-that unless we purify our texts we can never hope to
    purify ourselves."
    What if one is a hyphenated artist? There are artists who are artists in some sense but who find fulfillment, not so much in the application of art as they perceive it, but in other pursuits, for example RHP forums. I myself find the concept rather disturbing, for I know that the RHP forums can be a very jealous mistress, leaving virtually little room for anything else.
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 13:41
    I don't think so, in fact, it appears to me that such 'fulfillment', is nothing but a fleeting
    and transient glimpse, as GB stated, we have much deeper spiritual needs that art and
    music simply cannot fulfill.
    would you say a country like sweded that has a high percentage of atheists is any more or less fulfilled than any christian country?

if you walked into a room full of 100 random people, would they have a lower percentage of fulfillment than a room full of 100 j.w's?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 13:46
    Originally posted by rwingett
    What if one is a hyphenated artist? There are artists who are artists in some sense but who find fulfillment, not so much in the application of art as they perceive it, but in other pursuits, for example RHP forums. I myself find the concept rather disturbing, for I know that the RHP forums can be a very jealous mistress, leaving virtually little room for anything else.
    LOL, too funny 😀
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 13:48
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    would you say a country like sweded that has a high percentage of atheists is any more or less fulfilled than any christian country?

if you walked into a room full of 100 random people, would they have a lower percentage of fulfillment than a room full of 100 j.w's?
    Its not about Christians and atheists , its about those Christians who are finding
    fulfillment in some secular way and whether this can truly be deemed fulfillment.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 13:53
    Its not about Christians and atheists , its about those Christians who are finding
    fulfillment in some secular way and whether this can truly be deemed fulfillment.
    When you say "fulfillment" are you referring to "fame and fortune"?
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 14:22
    I don't think so, in fact, it appears to me that such 'fulfillment', is nothing but a fleeting
    and transient glimpse, as GB stated, we have much deeper spiritual needs that art and
    music simply cannot fulfill.
    You might have such needs.

I don't.

Don't make the mistake of generalising from your own experience of the world by
    assuming that everyone else thinks/feels as you do.

http://lesswrong.com/lw/dr/generalizing_from_one_example/

My old professor, David Berman, liked to talk about what he called the "typical mind fallacy", which he illustrated through the
    following example:

There was a debate, in the late 1800s, about whether "imagination" was simply a turn of phrase or a real phenomenon. That is, can people
    actually create images in their minds which they see vividly, or do they simply say "I saw it in my mind" as a metaphor for considering what
    it looked like?

Upon hearing this, my response was "How the stars was this actually a real debate? Of course we have mental imagery. Anyone who doesn't
    think we have mental imagery is either such a fanatical Behaviorist that she doubts the evidence of her own senses, or simply insane."
    Unfortunately, the professor was able to parade a long list of famous people who denied mental imagery, including some leading scientists of
    the era. And this was all before Behaviorism even existed.

The debate was resolved by Francis Galton, a fascinating man who among other achievements invented eugenics, the "wisdom of crowds",
    and standard deviation. Galton gave people some very detailed surveys, and found that some people did have mental imagery and others
    didn't. The ones who did had simply assumed everyone did, and the ones who didn't had simply assumed everyone didn't, to the point of
    coming up with absurd justifications for why they were lying or misunderstanding the question. There was a wide spectrum of imaging ability,
    from about five percent of people with perfect eidetic imagery1 to three percent of people completely unable to form mental images2.

Dr. Berman dubbed this the Typical Mind Fallacy: the human tendency to believe that one's own mental structure can be generalized to apply
    to everyone else's.

He kind of took this idea and ran with it. He interpreted certain passages in George Berkeley's biography to mean that Berkeley was an eidetic
    imager, and that this was why the idea of the universe as sense-perception held such interest to him. He also suggested that experience of
    consciousness and qualia were as variable as imaging, and that philosophers who deny their existence (Ryle? Dennett? Behaviorists?) were
    simply people whose mind lacked the ability to easily experience qualia. In general, he believed philosophy of mind was littered with examples
    of philosophers taking their own mental experiences and building theories on them, and other philosophers with different mental experiences
    critiquing them and wondering why they disagreed.
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 14:26
    you said you thought people had deeper spiritual needs. if that was the case then non-spiritual countries would be full of unfulfilled people.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 14:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    This is only of concern to you and other Christians. You have dodged the question of the profound dishonesty in claiming that filling one's life with an "artful falsehood" involves having "nothing to lose".
    a) We all have immortal souls; we all have limited life spans on the spinning globe; and we all have an eternal address to choose. b) Choosing incorrectly, we have everything to lose.
    -
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 14:50
    a) We all have immortal souls; we all have limited life spans on the spinning globe; and we all have an eternal address to choose. b) Choosing incorrectly, we have everything to lose.
    -
    whats the point of an immortal soul?
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 14:50
    Originally posted by FMF

robbies' OP said nothing at all about fulfillment [or whether or not one can seen to "succeed"] being measured in terms of "fame and fortune". Now in his latest post he is talking about "fame and fortune" as "compensation", something totally different from the spiritual/secular pursuits as framed in the OP. It would seem the Goalposts have been moved.
    "I myself find the concept rather disturbing, for I know that art can be a very jealous mistress leaving virtually little
    room for anything else, what think you, is it possible that spiritual fulfilment can be found in secular pursuits?"
    -
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 14:571 edit
    "I myself find the concept rather disturbing, for I know that art can be a very jealous mistress leaving virtually little
    room for anything else, what think you, is it possible that [b]spiritual fulfilment
    can be found in secular pursuits?"
    -[/b]
    Exactly. So the "fame and fortune" stuff was a clumsy moving of the goalposts. What would the "fame and fortune" equivalency for "religious pursuits be? It's putting an apple on one goalpost and an orange on the other, and then moving them. Of course non non-religious pursuits can offer spiritual fulfillment, at least in my personal view, and it was clearly so in my years as a Christian and has been just as clear to me in the years since I stopped being one.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 15:00
    -
    You are entitled to believe these things. I subscribe to none of it. More to the point, you are still dodging answering the question about your arrant nonsense about filling one's life with an "artful falsehood" coming at no cost.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 15:491 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie

whats the point of an immortal soul?
    Mortal: You die (your physical body decomposes to rot in the ground); Immortal: You (the real you, your soul) lives forever.
    -
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Dec '12 15:53
    Originally posted by FMF

You are entitled to believe these things. I subscribe to none of it. More to the point, you are still dodging answering the question about your arrant nonsense about filling one's life with an "artful falsehood" coming at no cost.
    Your call, FMF. Your call and I respect your right to make it any which way you choose (though I'll miss you when we part ways).
    -

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree