1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '13 04:18
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Yes, you did, hence my request for clarification.

[b]...although I know you are desperate for me to do so.

No, actually, I am not. I merely want to know what your view actually is on the matter. You may not even have thought it through completely or have a concrete view, I know I don't.

In your OP, you ask:
    "But why do atheists spend so much t ...[text shortened]... uch and approach is not successful and not wise, but seems to be and instinctual response.[/b]
    There are no clear or definitive answers, likely because each individual has their own motives and generalising these is clumsy. My apologies, I did use the phrase 'are worthy of mockery', I should have said 'could be deemed worthy of mockery', I.e. by those willing or taking pleasure from mocking others. Mocking people is a low form of intercourse, the fact that a person discriminates in their mocking does not elevate it.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    22 Sep '13 21:28
    Mockery
    YouTube
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Sep '13 22:26
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Mockery
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey0wvGiAH9g
    Thanks Wolfie; nothing like a bit of Python induced sobriety.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 06:08
    Originally posted by divegeester
    You should feel pleased that I used "king" and not just "rat".

I stand by the OP, although I accept there are exceptions, and especially certain atheists who are usually polite and rational. Generally I think many OPs are mocking, most of the posters you list rarely start threads. I still question the motives of many atheists who post here.
    Hmm, so you 'rarely mock the JW's'?

That's not how I remember it.

And indeed, it only takes a slight bit of searching to find:

http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=154978&page=6#post_3094922
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 08:53
    Who remembers Eric Clapton's Classic : "Mock, mock, mocking on heaven's door"

???
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 10:522 edits
    You should feel pleased that I used "king" and not just "rat".
    Excellent... I'm flattered :-)

As for

I still question the motives of many atheists who post here.

Yeah, well. It's much like the theist not believing the atheist is truly an atheist. There's not much point in discussing that, is there. If you're not going to accept - or at least continue to doubt - somebody's reasons for being here - and instead going to keep believing what you originally assumed - than why bother asking it? I could write an assay about why I discuss religion with people, but it's quite pointless when one has already made up his mind.

I also notice that you started by saying pretty much all atheists here come solely to mock, and now you've already basically (correct me if I interpreted what you said wrongly) said that your OP only concerned a handful (What? Like 5 % or something?) of atheists, and not those atheists that are most prominently present. Seems your OP was mostly written from a sort of "emotional" standpoint and not a rational one. Was having a bad, that day?
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 20:591 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Hmm, so you 'rarely mock the JW's'?

That's not how I remember it.

And indeed, it only takes a slight bit of searching to find:

http://www.playtheimmortalgame.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=154978&page=6#post_3094922
    Yes it's rare. At least I'm honest about it, unlike some atheists here trying to intellectualise away their own motives. Come on guys show some gutz and just admit it, you love to mock the theists.
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 21:081 edit
    I think you will find that I rarely if ever mock them.

Had you truly been honest about it, you would've simply said "yes, I too mock people sometimes". There was no need for the "if ever" bit.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 21:141 edit
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    I think you will find that I rarely [b]if ever mock them.

Had you truly been honest about it, you would've simply said "yes, I too mock people sometimes". There was no need for the "if ever" bit.[/b]
    Stop deflecting, I've admitted it, sometimes I mock people, it is rare but sometimes I do it in moments of weakness which I'm not proud of. Most atheists here won't admit that they come here to mock theists.
  10. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 21:523 edits
    Stop deflecting, I've admitted it, sometimes I mock people, it is rare but sometimes I do it in moments of weakness which I'm not proud of. Most atheists here won't admit that they come here to mock theists.
    Notice what you did there? You made some small concession in admitting that you do mock some people sometimes - and expect from us atheists, in return, an admission that we come here to mock theists.

Do you not see the dissymmetry in that one!? Many of us, myself included, are quite prepared to admit we sometimes mock people (including theists), just as you sometimes mock people; but the reason we don't admit that are driving purpose for frequenting these boards is to rip the p!ss out of theists is because it is not actually true in the first place!
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 21:56
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Notice what you did there? You made some small concession in admitting that you do mock some people sometimes - and expect from us atheists, in return, an admission that [b]we come here to mock theists.

Do you not see the dissymmetry in that one!? Many of us are quite prepared to admit we sometimes mock people (including theists), but we have no reason ...[text shortened]... ving purpose for frequenting these boards is the pursuit of mockery because, well, ... we don\'t![/b]
    An easy way to see what is the main purpose of people here is the compare two things - the # of games and # of posts.

In my case I have over 100 games going on and I post like 10 posts on average per week. Although Im still tempted to engage in a bit of harmless 'mocking' when the opportunity arises.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 21:58
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Notice what you did there? You made some small concession in admitting that you do mock some people sometimes - and expect from us atheists, in return, an admission that [b]we come here to mock theists.

Do you not see the dissymmetry in that one!? Many of us, myself included, are quite prepared to admit we sometimes mock people (including theists), just ...[text shortened]... boards is to rip the p!ss out of theists is because it is not actually true in the first place![/b]
    Well that's two of you out of the closet.
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 22:01
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    An easy way to see what is the main purpose of people here is the compare two things - the # of games and # of posts.

In my case I have over 100 games going on and I post like 10 posts on average per week. Although Im still tempted to engage in a bit of harmless 'mocking' when the opportunity arises.
    You cannot validly infer (# of games) significantly less than (# of posts) implies a tendency to mock. There isn't even a weak correlation.
  14. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    23 Sep '13 22:03
    Well that's two of you out of the closet.
    What do you mean out of the closet!? - out of the closet that I sometimes (just as you admit to doing yourself) mock people?

Or did you somehow get that an admission that I sometimes mock people is an admission that I only come here to mock people!? Or did you perhaps mean something entirely different? (if so please elaborate)
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Sep '13 05:301 edit
    I think (many, but not all) atheists is this forum come here to mock theists; I find this pretence that they have a form of intellectual interest in theism (especially as represented on this board) a little comical. Or perhaps they come here for another reason, something more profound, who knows.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree