1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Sep '13 17:51
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I may be one of the loudest contenders with the JWs (along with the likes of Proper Knob, FMF, Raik999 and a few others) but I think you will find that I rarely if ever mock them. The post you refer to is indeed meant to be a joke but it is hardly "mocking". In fact you will see that almost all of my exchanges with the JWs here are directed at their "o ...[text shortened]... heists by atheists and many of he subsequent posts in those threads are mocking in tone.
    do you really think people are mocked? i dont see it like that, except maybe dasa. i see the majority of it as banter, most of the the theists its aimed at give as good as they get. obviously there are exceptions, but in general its all done in good spirit. isnt it?
  2. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    17 Sep '13 18:01
    I may be one of the loudest contenders with the JWs (along with the likes of Proper Knob, FMF, Raik999 and a few others) but I think you will find that I rarely if ever mock them. The post you refer to is indeed meant to be a joke but it is hardly "mocking". In fact you will see that almost all of my exchanges with the JWs here are directed at their "o ...[text shortened]... heists by atheists and many of he subsequent posts in those threads are mocking in tone.
    So when you do it it's a joke.

Yet the JWs constantly do mock you.

And so do the atheists.

This is a classic case of victim playing and most theists excel in that. Perhaps you should be a bit more critical of yourself and slightly less critical but instead openminded towards "the other".
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    17 Sep '13 18:01
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    twhitehead, which points require clarification?
    The whole question.
    I agree with GKR that there is no such thing as 'the atheist' so will assume you are asking about me. What do you mean by 'deepest sense of identity'? What do you mean by 'selfhood'? And what do you mean by 'destiny'?
    I am tempted to answer 'none' to all three, but I strongly suspect that you are talking in a different plane.
    Who am I? I am me. What more is there to say?
    I don't believe in fate or destiny.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    17 Sep '13 18:06
    By the way, I myself very much admit that I do mock religions.

Since you said "the majority of the OPs raised against theists by atheists " I wonder if you can point to some of those and for comparisons sake also point to some that are not mocking in tone?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '13 20:411 edit
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    So when you do it it's a joke.

Yet the JWs constantly do mock you.

And so do the atheists.

This is a classic case of victim playing and most theists excel in that. Perhaps you should be a bit more critical of yourself and slightly less critical but instead openminded towards "the other".
    No, I maintain that I do not mock people here, including the JWs (the post you are referring to I will concede to if you insist). I do maintain that much of the atheistic posting here is mockery of theists especially Christians. And no I couldn't care less if you or anyone else mocks me, what my op is asking is why atheists spend their time here when they have no religious interest. My suggestion is that in many/some cases it is to enjoy the mockery.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '13 20:431 edit
    By the way, I myself very much admit that I do mock religions.

Since you said "the majority of the OPs raised against theists by atheists " I wonder if you can point to some of those and for comparisons sake also point to some that are not mocking in tone?
    Most of joe whatshisname's are mockery, most of twhitehead's are not. It's not difficult to spot the difference.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 08:50
    No, I maintain that I do not mock people here, including the JWs (the post you are referring to I will concede to if you insist). I do maintain that much of the atheistic posting here is mockery of theists especially Christians. And no I couldn't care less if you or anyone else mocks me, what my op is asking is why atheists spend their time here when the ...[text shortened]... ave no religious interest. My suggestion is that in many/some cases it is to enjoy the mockery.
    I daresay most of us definitely have religious interest. I certainly do. I'm not religious, but it definitely interest me. Also, mockery and interest aren't mutually exclusive.

Do you really feel that that the majority of the atheists here have no religious interest??
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 09:29
    I daresay most of us definitely have religious interest. I certainly do. I'm not religious, but it definitely interest me. Also, mockery and interest aren't mutually exclusive.

Do you really feel that that the majority of the atheists here have no religious interest??
    I'm not sure what individuals interst here is which is why I was asking. I guess it's a moot point as here we all are!
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    18 Sep '13 12:51
    I don't think it's a moot point in fact it's a fair question. It's just that from your OP it seemed as though you had already made up your mind. To be fair, you partially corrected that in one of your responses to JS357.

As for Joe667's posts (I assume you meant him), first of all he's far from representative for "the atheist on this forum" because he posts very little (compared to other atheists), second if you look up his post history most of his posts are quite to the point. There may be a "mocking tone" in some of them, but that's just a writing style. We're not all the same. I honestly don't feel - based on his recent forum posts which you can look up in his profile - that he mock's only to mock.

Look up his recent forum posts and then tell me that the majority of them aren't out of "interest"* but out of a need to mock religious people. I wonder if you can honestly keep saying that.

*interest in something of course doesn't mean that you have to be positive about something.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 07:13
    I don’t understand how people can believe in God, even when I myself think of him everyday. -- Emil Cioran, The Book of Delusions
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 07:55
    I don't think it's a moot point in fact it's a fair question. It's just that from your OP it seemed as though you had already made up your mind. To be fair, you partially corrected that in one of your responses to JS357.

As for Joe667's posts (I assume you meant him), first of all he's far from representative for "the atheist on this forum" because ...[text shortened]... something of course doesn't mean that you have to be positive about something.
    If I didn't "honestly" think that, then I wouldn't say it. You yourself have admitted in this thread the you mock Christians, being pragmatic about your mocking doesn't make it any less reprehensible.
  12. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 08:43
    If you maintain that Joe's post are mostly mocking and thus reprehensible, you either need to grow a thicker skin or save your sensible self from getting hurt and not read a forum which you know is visited by a good number of atheists, all of whom have different ways of communicating. His posts are not mocking and certainly not reprehensible. In fact, there are hardly any posts here that are reprehensible, except for the ones that call for the extinction of a certain group of people by Dasa.

Since you started this thread, do you feel your questions have been answered? Or is anything still unclear to you? If so, what is unclear?
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 15:19

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    20 Sep '13 15:204 edits
    If I didn't "honestly" think that, then I wouldn't say it. You yourself have admitted in this thread the you mock Christians, being pragmatic about your mocking doesn't make it any less reprehensible.
    I would disagree that mockery is reprehensible - it tends to be indicative that one side of an argument genuinely holds a position that is not only stupid - it is self-evidently stupid.

For example, if I asserted that 2 + 2 = 4, I find it very difficult to imagine that anyone could find a way to mock that statement in such way that they did not invite greater mockery on their own door. Of course some might remind me that making such an assertion is pointless because nobody in their right mind would have any reason to disagreement but that hardly qualifies as mockery.

On the other hand, if I asserted That tornadoes kill nice people because:

6000 years ago, in a magic garden called "Eden", some man and a woman listened to a talking snake and ate a naughty fruit that gives knowledge of right and wrong This ticked off, and surprised, an all knowing magical Reveal Hidden Content
    how come it didn't see this coming!??
    man in the sky so much so that he decided that the payment for this atrocity is death. He then later reasoned that the best way to make reparations for that act is to send a variant of its own self to be crucified on Earth to pay the price it itself needlessly set in the first place - and that for anyone who fails to believe this crap they (well actually their flammable souls) are going to burn forever and ever in some big old lake of fire after dying a horrible death here on Earth - because they failed to accept their tendency for doing things said magic man in the sky doesn't like us doing was handled by a clone of itself that likes walking on water and rising from the dead.

then that would clearly be a stupid belief - one that is never going to be corrected with a cool head and a rational argument.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '13 06:34
    If you maintain that Joe's post are mostly mocking and thus reprehensible, you either need to grow a thicker skin or save your sensible self from getting hurt and not read a forum which you know is visited by a good number of atheists, all of whom have different ways of communicating. His posts are not mocking and certainly not reprehensible. In fact, ...[text shortened]... your questions have been answered? Or is anything still unclear to you? If so, what is unclear?
    I'm neither thin skinned nor sensitive, I just don't believe it is edifying for one human being to mock another because of their religious or spiritual beliefs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree