1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 08:02
    Originally posted by LemonJello

But the first requires more than just this, does it not? Merely accepting the possibility that God exists is still consistent with atheism. I am an atheist, and I certainly accept there is some possibility that God exists.

I like this.
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 08:331 edit
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Is there any need for God to be omnipotent and omniscient? Would it
    help you to believe in God if these claims about God were not made?

Maybe. But then God is reduced to the status of being a really advanced alien, isn't he?
    I disagree. "God" or gods in general I take to be entities that create universes (that may contain advanced aliens). I see no reason why one should prefer that a god can do absolutely anything logically possible over a god that has the minimum set of abilities and power to bring about the creation of some universe (possibly with assistence from other entities).
  3. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 08:37
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I am a theist and I would like to be an atheist; or more accurately, I would like to revert to being an atheist.

The arguments put forth in this forum by atheists, has convinced me that this is the rational place to be.

What should I do next please?

Thanks.

Edit: this is a theoretical question of course.
    Just recite these words before bed every night...."I don't need to prove anything, the burden of proof lies with you. I don't disbelieve in a deity, i lack a belief therefor i have no burden of proof". If you recite this mantra regularly it will magically become true.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 08:38
    Originally posted by Agerg
    I disagree. "God" or gods in general I take to be entities that create universes (that may contain advanced aliens). I see no reason why one should prefer that a god can do absolutely anything logically possible over a god that has the minimum set of abilities and power to bring about the creation of some universe (possibly with assistence from other entities).
    Disposable gods. Recyclable gods. Blind, idiot gods.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 08:44
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Just recite these words before bed every night...."I don't need to prove anything, the burden of proof lies with you. I don't disbelieve in a deity, i lack a belief therefor i have no burden of proof". If you recite this mantra regularly it will magically become true.
    Listen to your daimon.
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 09:26
    Originally posted by pyxelated
    I think what I intended to say is that axioms (and indeeed ratiocination) are artificial, and ex post facto, as regards belief.

Precious few of even the most intelligent of us believe what we believe for purely logical, rational reasons, protestations to the contrary notwithstanding.

And ultimately, that's not what decides. "In the end, what matters ...[text shortened]... ent a more cogent case for my beliefs than I am capable of, at least at present. 🙂 )
    ...the theist's case ... is in fact more reasonable--than the atheist's...

Employing a rather familiar objection, I think you may be misusing the term 'reasonable' here.
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 10:012 edits
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Disposable gods. Recyclable gods. Blind, idiot gods.
    Perhaps such gods lack the properties a theist would want; but an answer to the question of how we got here is provided just as well by a blind idiot god who created the universe as it is by an all powerful god. In both it's the creating universes aspect that is crucial, the rest is superfluous.

As for the question: Why are we here? I don't agree that the theist's answer (which, paraphrasing, is a variation on serving/worshipping/acknowledging the glory of God, etc...) has any more substance than the answer: There is no reason why - we just are. The reason for this is that one can ask Why are we and God here? and we're in the same boat as before.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 10:04
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Do you think Woog-Booga's belief structure accurately represents what modern day theists associate with?

You can of course take the piss a bit, but assume (despite appearances) that you are talking to a reasonably rational and at least averagely educated person.

PS: we can negotiate on the coconut-husk thong in another thread.
    What does your God do? Nothing?
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 10:08
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Are you and sonhouse cousins or something?

You both seem to have this conviction that Christians are some sort of backwards hillbilly folk who are unimaginative, unintelligent and uneducated.

I'll grant you that some of the posters in this forum seem to have lived up to this notion, but I'm not one of them.

I believe everything modern science has e ...[text shortened]... se, lighten up on characterizing Christians as extras on the set of "Deliverance", okay?
    When it comes to religion, that's exactly what you are when you start going on about the battles in the end of days and how atheists will all join in with Satan. You're a bit of a paradox.
  10. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 11:45
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Listen to your daimon.
    Daimon is the Greek derivative for the term demon. In this sense the term "demon" means "replete with knowledge." The ancient Greeks thought there were good and bad demons called 'eudemons' and 'cacodemons.' The term 'daimon' means "divine power," "fate" or "god." Daimons, in Greek mythology, included deified heroes. They were considered intermediary spirits between men and the gods. Good daimons were considered to be guardian spirits, giving guidance and protection to the ones they watched over. Bad daimons led people astray. Socrates said he had a life-time daimon that always warned him of danger and bad judgment, but never directed his actions. He said his daimon was more accurate than omens of either watching the flights or reading the entrails of birds, which were two respected forms of divination of the time.

Mine says i should drink beer tonight.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 12:13
    Originally posted by Palynka
    What does your God do? Nothing?
    How do you mean?
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 12:35
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    It's not a procedure. Atheists don't gather together to provide social support in the way religions do. There are some atheist organizations you can contact and hang out with them if you want. Most atheists don't "do anything" to "be atheists". Atheists don't have a Bible...or churches...etc.

Atheism is the absence of religion, and it can be awfully lonely.
    http://worldatheistconference.blogspot.com/
  13. Standard memberpyxelated
    Dawg of the Lord
    The South
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 13:36
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    ...the theist's case ... is in fact [b]more reasonable--than the atheist's...

Employing a rather familiar objection, I think you may be misusing the term 'reasonable' here.[/b]
    I guess anything's possible, but I had one of the commonly-held definitions in mind, at least implicitly.

I suppose that's a rather familiar rejoinder?
  14. Standard memberpyxelated
    Dawg of the Lord
    The South
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 13:42
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Technically the difference is irrational. Not all irrational numbers are transcendental numbers.
    Good point. I need a remedial course in number theory.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Aug '11 13:50
    Originally posted by pyxelated
    Good point. I need a remedial course in number theory.
    "God" as an irrational number.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree