1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    01 Mar '12 21:401 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]If God didn't exist...

"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV.

gb[/b]
    Any chance of getting our conversation back on topic?

😉
  2. Joined
    02 Apr '06
    Moves
    01 Mar '12 23:441 edit

"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV.

gb[/b]
    . . . people like this would have to find another reason to 'cast Satan out' . . .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17040111

"Kristy died in unimaginable circumstances at the hands of people who he loved and trusted. People who we all loved and trusted."

Judge David Paget, who was presiding over his last trial before retiring, told the jury of seven women and five men the case was so "harrowing" he was exempting them from jury service for the rest of their lives.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 11:01

gb[/b]
    You can answer this question yourself if you ever actually engaged your brain in any meaningful way.

There are any number of contradictory religions claiming to have the one true god (or set of gods).

At most only one can be right.

So for you as a Christian you mearly need to think of those who believe in Allah and used that belief to
    inspire and justify flying jets into the twin towers to see what difference it makes to believe in a god that
    doesn't exist.

Exactly the same would and does apply to your own non-existent deity.
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 11:05
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    If God didn't exist we wouldn't exist.
    To argue for this to be true it would have to be proven that our existence couldn't occur
    without the existence of a deity.

Given that not only is this not proven, but that ALL the available evidence points to natural
    origins for us and NONE of it points to it being impossible for us to exist without god your
    statement must be considered false beyond any reasonable doubt.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 11:09
    With all due respect, you've misread an inconvertible, hard question put directly to those

of atheist persuasion among us. Perhaps also a tad too subtlely stated on my part.
    I am sorry but you think that this is a hard question for atheists?

What are you smoking and can I have some?

This is a trivially trivially simple and easy question to answer.

If people believe in things that are not true or real then this effects their judgement and values
    which effects everyone.

This is blindingly obvious to anyone with even half a brain.

I heartily recommend you try engaging yours.
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    02 Mar '12 11:18
    We possess self awareness (as illustrated in your question), self determination free will and an immortal soul.
    "We possess self awareness..."

Yep with you there, "I think therefore I am".

"...self determination..."

Please expand, I am not clear what you mean by this.

"...free will..."

Depends on how you define free will, and the jury is still out on this anyway.

"...and an immortal soul."

Actually no, definitely not, beyond all reasonable doubt, no.

We are our brains, our conciousness an emergent phenomena of the physical workings of our brain.

This has been proved and demonstrated beyond any reasonable doubt.

It isn't a case of there just being no evidence for the existence of souls, the old absence of evidence not
    being proof of absence, there is massive evidence for the non-existence of souls in the massive evidence
    that we are our brains. That everything we are is physical, with no supernatural element.

This isn't just unproven, its proven false.
    Not 100% because nothing ever is, but beyond any possible reasonable doubt.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree