1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 17:11
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    We possess self awareness (as illustrated in your question), self determination free will and an immortal soul.
    Q: How Do We Know that We Exist?

A: We possess self awareness (as illustrated in your question)...

Something about that answer seems self-refuting.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 17:13
    Originally posted by buckky
    Right ...we are God .
    ... playing hide and seek all by ourself.
  3. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 17:56
    We possess self awareness (as illustrated in your question), self determination free will and an immortal soul.
    ergo cogito sum:- but the rest of the list is unproven.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 17:57
    [b]If God didn't exist...

"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV.

gb[/b]
    It makes a world of difference.

Faith in God goes hand in hand with believing religious books like the Bible. Based on the Bible, some people think the world is only 6000 years old. They think that the first human was created out of a pile of dust. They think it is OK that God ordered/committed mass killings and genocide in the Old Testament. They believe they must push their beliefs on others since the unsaved go to hell. They believe in discrimination against women and homosexuals. They believe it is OK to put religious monuments in federal courthouses [no separation of church and state].

In the past, some of them believed that slavery was acceptable [based on the Bible] and denial of rights of women to work for equal pay, vote, etc. was acceptable, again based on the Bible.

Point is, it doesn't just stop with faith in God. Faith in God informs all manner of different beliefs in the followers, which directs their thoughts and actions. It affects everything from family planning to politics. To say that having faith makes no difference is a very naive statement.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 18:21
    [b]If God didn't exist...

"If God didn't exist, what possible difference would it make whether or not people put their faith in Him?" -JV.

gb[/b]
    It seems theist do not understand the meaning of the word "if"
    (atheists suffer from this too!)

Basically whether a god exists or not makes no difference to any of us (until we die/Judgement day or whatever). While alive the existance or not of a god makes NO difference to any of us.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 20:251 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    Q: How Do We Know that We Exist?

A: We possess self awareness (as illustrated in your question)...

Something about that answer seems self-refuting.
    Curiously, truth often behaves that way. "The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off." -M. Pancoast

gb
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 20:27
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    It makes a world of difference.

Faith in God goes hand in hand with believing religious books like the Bible. Based on the Bible, some people think the world is only 6000 years old. They think that the first human was created out of a pile of dust. They think it is OK that God ordered/committed mass killings and genocide in the Old Testament. They bel ...[text shortened]... y planning to politics. To say that having faith makes no difference is a very naive statement.
    What would it take for you to considfer the possibility that you may be in the majority... and wrong?
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 20:51
    What would it take for you to considfer the possibility that you may be in the majority... and wrong?
    Well, I doubt I'm in the majority ... most of the world believes in a deity of some sort. About 10% of the population is Atheist, IIRC.

Wrong about what? Atheism? Or the stuff I said about faith informing belief and driving the actions of the faithful?
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 20:53
    'The hidden god plays hide and seek'.

A lyric by David Tibet, but stemming from a perhaps defunct but nonetheless vibrant subterranean current that plays in autumn light.

Put your pants on, Pan.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 20:54
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Well, I doubt I'm in the majority ... most of the world believes in a deity of some sort. About 10% of the population is Atheist, IIRC.

Wrong about what? Atheism? Or the stuff I said about faith informing belief and driving the actions of the faithful?
    IIRC= Illinois Interactive Report Card🙂 Google it! I know what it means here but that's what google comes up with besides 'if I remember correctly'.
  11. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    22 Feb '12 23:57
    It's the Grand Illusion that keeps us from seeing the reality of our true nature .
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 00:41
    Curiously, truth often behaves that way. "The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off." -M. Pancoast

gb
    I am reminded of Pancoast's version whenever I confront what I must do to stay in shape.
  13. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 03:20
    Originally posted by buckky
    It's the Grand Illusion that keeps us from seeing the reality of our true nature .
    “Just remember that
    it’s a grand illusion…”

—Styx
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 03:51
    Greetings, friend. Self evident in my view. If the time honored game of chess was only a figment and didn,t exist what difference

would it make for people to subscribe to a "chess in name only" internet site just to jawbone in the forums? Am I wrong?

Bob
    The existence or non-existence of a god never stopped people from fighting about it. Am I wrong?
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 05:46
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The existence or non-existence of a god never stopped people from fighting about it. Am I wrong?
    Correct.

But is it the existence or non-existence of a god that causes people to fight about it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree