1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Jul '14 16:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    No, I meant I do not think absolute justice exists.

[b]If you knew for sure you would have an argument to support it instead of merely stating what you think.

I could mount an argument, but it would be more effort than I am prepared to give to this thread. The topic of Justice is enormous. I recently completed an online university course on the topic and we only scratched the surface.[/b]
    You are over complicating this. Perhaps it is unfortunate you spent so much time leaning nothing about justice.

"What is required for punishment of any kind to be fair?"

That was your question. My answer is justice.

This is Marriam-Websters definition.

1 a : the maintenance or administration of what is just especially by the impartial adjustment of conflicting claims or the assignment of merited rewards or punishments
    b : judge
    c : the administration of law; especially : the establishment or determination of rights according to the rules of law or equity
    2 a : the quality of being just, impartial, or fair
    b (1) : the principle or ideal of just dealing or right action (2) : conformity to this principle or ideal : righteousness
    c : the quality of conforming to law
    3 : conformity to truth, fact, or reason : correctness

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand simple justice, but it does require a good deal more thought when considering what is meant by 'God's justice'.

God's justice is absolute and righteous. Man's justice is flawed. Probably why you don't really know what justice is. You're trying to understand it from a flawed perspective. Your own!
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    03 Jul '14 20:34
    Originally posted by josephw
    My answer is justice.
    And your answer isn't an answer. It is a definition.
    My question was essentially 'what is justice' and your supposed answer was 'justice'.

Probably why you don't really know what justice is.
    Well you don't seem to know either given that instead of answering my question you are trying to use the atheist debate tactics playbook #1a #2c, #3c and #4a
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Jul '14 01:28
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And your answer isn't an answer. It is a definition.
    My question was essentially 'what is justice' and your supposed answer was 'justice'.

[b]Probably why you don't really know what justice is.

Well you don't seem to know either given that instead of answering my question you are trying to use the atheist debate tactics playbook #1a #2c, #3c and #4a[/b]
    The question was/is "What is required for punishment of any kind to be fair?"

Ok, Let's rephrase. What is required for punishment of any kind to be just?

Answer: An absolute righteous standard of what is right and wrong in every conceivable circumstance of human existence. (My answer 😕 )
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Jul '14 03:47
    Originally posted by josephw
    The question was/is "What is required for punishment of any kind to be fair?"

Ok, Let's rephrase. What is required for punishment of any kind to be just?

Answer: An absolute righteous standard of what is right and wrong in every conceivable circumstance of human existence. (My answer 😕 )
    Even if your statement An absolute righteous standard of what
    is right and wrong in every conceivable circumstance of human
    existence
    existed. That does not answer the question;

What is required for punishment of any kind to be just?

Does it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree