If god then ...

If god then ...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
20 May 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
"What's wrong with this argument?" (OP) The argument's assumption of the presence of time. The nature, essence or essential being of God includes the attribute of eternal life: His absolute existence outside the boundaries of time.
"His absolute existence outside the boundaries of time."

And, God exists outside the boundaries of man or man's logic!

Cape Town

Moves
20 May 14

Originally posted by josephw
And, God exists outside the boundaries of man or man's logic!
Logic is not 'man's'. And how would you know that God exists outside it? Does such a claim even have meaning?

Cape Town

Moves
20 May 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
"What's wrong with this argument?" (OP) The argument's assumption of the presence of time. The nature, essence or essential being of God includes the attribute of eternal life: His absolute existence outside the boundaries of time.
So are you disputing 1. or 2. or both of them?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
20 May 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
Logic is not 'man's'. And how would you know that God exists outside it? Does such a claim even have meaning?
'Man's logic' as apposed to Martian's logic! 🙄

Look, man uses what he calls logic to arrive at certain conclusions, that makes it his logic. That's all there is to it. Why split hairs over it? Man's this and man's that, whatever!

"And how would you know that God exists outside it?"

Why can't you for just one time try approaching the topic of God from an objective perspective? Assume for a moment there is a God.

How would you know anything about God?

Cape Town

Moves
20 May 14
2 edits

'Man's logic' as apposed to Martian's logic! 🙄

Look, man uses what he calls logic to arrive at certain conclusions, that makes it his logic. That's all there is to it. Why split hairs over it? Man's this and man's that, whatever!
I am splitting hairs because your original post seemed to imply that man created logic. That is not the case.

Why can't you for just one time try approaching the topic of God from an objective perspective?
I do try to. In what way do you think I do not?

Assume for a moment there is a God.

Science probably. Certainly logic. Which is why I am saying that any claim that he exists outside logic is simply illogical - and incoherent - in other words, a nonsense claim. Without logic we can't even have a conversation. Without logic your words loose all meaning.

Certainly claiming to know that God exists outside logic begs the question - how do you know this without using logic? And the further question - is it possible to know something that is illogical?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
20 May 14

I am splitting hairs because your original post seemed to imply that man created logic. That is not the case.

[b]Why can't you for just one time try approaching the topic of God from an objective perspective?

I do try to. In what way do you think I do not?

Assume for a moment there is a God.

Sc ...[text shortened]... hout using logic? And the further question - is it possible to know something that is illogical?[/b]
Didn't mean to imply that man 'created' logic. Man creates nothing. Man invents. I really have no way of knowing how man stumbled upon logic, but to be sure he uses it to his own advantage.

Your answer to the question 'how would you/we/me/us know anything about God?' "Science probably. Certainly logic." I vehemently disagree.

If God did not reveal Himself we wouldn't have a clue. Has science proven anything about God? Even His existence? Or has logic?

Therefore what may be known of God must needs be revealed by God.

It's only logical! 🙂

Cape Town

Moves
20 May 14
1 edit

If God did not reveal Himself we wouldn't have a clue. Has science proven anything about God? Even His existence? Or has logic?
Which is why I don't believe he exists.

Therefore what may be known of God must needs be revealed by God.
Why does that follow? I agree that if God chose to be undetectable, then he could do so, but I am fairly sure that by 'revealed by God' here you are referring to something other than 'allowing himself to be detected'. In fact I suspect you are referring to scripture. And it doesn't follow from anything you have said that scripture is required to know about God.

It's only logical! 🙂
No, actually, it isn't.

And how does any of this relate to your earlier claim that he exists outside logic?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
20 May 14

'Man's logic' as apposed to Martian's logic!

Do you think other forms of logic exist?

If you do it is no wonder that logical arguments are such a stumbling block for you.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 May 14
1 edit

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Do you think other forms of logic exist?

If you do it is no wonder that logical arguments are such a stumbling block for you.

Since you're so clear about it, maybe you could tell us how logical thinking emerged from non-thinking, unconscious material Evolution style.

Here's your chance to shine smart guy.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
21 May 14

Originally posted by sonship
Since you're so clear about it, maybe you could tell us how logical thinking emerged from non-thinking, unconscious material Evolution style.

Here's your chance to shine smart guy.
WTF!
You want an explanation of the Big Bang all the way forward to logic?

That's like asking for the sum total of Man's knowledge.
Which I cannot even give you a fraction of.

Now let's return to the topic.

Cape Town

Moves
21 May 14

Originally posted by sonship
I'd be happy to give you a rough summary in another thread, but I suspect you already know it all. I cannot give you the exact details of every life form that ever lived, because I simply do not know, nor should you expect me to know.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
23 May 14

BUMP
just to give JosephW and perhaps Sonship to educate us on other types of logic......

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 May 14

I'd be happy to give you a rough summary in another thread, but I suspect you already know it all. I cannot give you the exact details of every life form that ever lived, because I simply do not know, nor should you expect me to know.
Only God knows the exact details. We don't have a need to know.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
25 May 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
Only God knows the exact details. We don't have a need to know.
You don't have a "need to know" but science does.

It's that "need to know" driving science that gave you your car,
microwave, computer and the dugs that are keeping you alive.
(Which shows good and bad can come from science ..)

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 May 14
1 edit

Originally posted by wolfgang59
You don't have a "need to know" but science does.

It's that "need to know" driving science that gave you your car,
microwave, computer and the dugs that are keeping you alive.
(Which shows good and bad can come from science ..)
What is "the dugs"?